Theos Review - Hi-Fi Choice

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty much sounds like a review of my Vistas.;) I had to do a second take on the picture in the review as I actually thought it was a pic of the Vista.
Is there really that much of a difference between the Vista & Theos? (other than another panel size.. another 4 inches taller)

I believe the difference is quite substantial. The Vista has a complicated vent system, whereas the Theos has a down firing port. There's also the different cross over and larger panel to consider.

I feel like a newbie asking this question, but in the review what is meant when the reviewer says that the speaker has pace that's to die for? i.e. What's "pace"? I know that the Brits look for "PRAT" (pace, rhythm and timing). BTW, calling someone a prat is not very complimentary there.

I feel like a newbie asking this question, but in the review what is meant when the reviewer says that the speaker has pace that's to die for? i.e. What's "pace"? I know that the Brits look for "PRAT" (pace, rhythm and timing). BTW, calling someone a prat is not very complimentary there.

This from Stereophile's own audio terminology glossary (circa 1993):

"pace The apparent tempo of a musical performance, which can be different from its actual beats-per-minute tempo. Pace is affected by phrasing in performance and speed in reproduction."

Huh... this sounds like it gets dangerously close to a dependency on driver "speed" :)

This from Stereophile's own audio terminology glossary (circa 1993):

"pace The apparent tempo of a musical performance, which can be different from its actual beats-per-minute tempo. Pace is affected by phrasing in performance and speed in reproduction."

Huh... this sounds like it gets dangerously close to a dependency on driver "speed" :)
So it can seem faster or slower than it actually is?

So it can seem faster or slower than it actually is?

I sense (and share) some incredulity. I've always thought that an amp would have to be pretty effed-up to actually noticeably impact "speed of reproduction"... however, applying the term Pace to my own "speed of reproduction"... well ... OK, I'll stop there.

When I started to read British Hi Fi mags, I initially thought the reviewers were trying to describe the difference between 'lean' and 'rich'. A lot of British amplifiers and speakers sound 'lean' to me. British reviewers wax lyrical about the 'speed' of these amplifiers/speakers. I just think they lack the ability to reproduce low frequencies.

Reviewers start to lose me when they talk about PRAT and pace...

Thank you for the link. As a new Theos owner, I'm thrilled to read such a rave review. I don't know about "pace" as far as sound quality goes, but I can certainly vouch for the Theos' utter transparency and wonderful imaging and sound-staging.

Back