System #79 (Revel Studio II's , previous Spire)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mr "B", Thanks for the kind words, as per your request, the updated photo of the Aries 3 with the Black Diamond Racing clamp. While an exspensive tweek, there is an improvement to the lower octaves with respect to 'tightness'. basically it does a better job of "unifying' the entire Playback system, so for this reason it becomes even more important that ones TT setup is ideally isolated.

Thanks again Tim for the recomendation !!

Attachments

• IMG_7468.JPG
    IMG_7468.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,066
Mr "B", Thanks for the kind words, as per your request, the updated photo of the Aries 3 with the Black Diamond Racing clamp. While an exspensive tweek, there is an improvement to the lower octaves with respect to 'tightness'. basically it does a better job of "unifying' the entire Playback system, so for this reason it becomes even more important that ones TT setup is ideally isolated.

Thanks again Tim for the recomendation !!

I'v3 heard good things about the BDR clamp. Where did you find it? How much?

Dave,

I just looked at your frontpage and the pics of your updated system.... and I must say... it's much nicer than when I last checked it. I usually just go straight to the 3rd page (this page) of your thread, but I decided to stop by the 1st page and check out the pics... and it was well worth it!!

I like your system design and execution. Very well done regarding choice of electronics and what not. Especially noticed the Plinius overpowering the little amp stand and the nice looking VPI TT. Also noticed the rather shiny Cary CDP.... which is what I would get if it had digital inputs.

All in all, two thumbs and big toes up!

Joey :D

Thanks Joey, But just to let a fellow Plinius owner know the amp stand is not undersized, in fact it is considered ideal for the fact that the heat sinks have No obstruction top or bottom, thus allowing a better 'chimney' effect for heat dissipation.

Last edited:
Bass Management coming together !

Attached pics reflect the addition of my Velodyne DD-15 and the recent addition of acoustical treatments from GIK Acoustics, Tri-Traps are now in place in the corners behind. The 'test-tone' sweep is flat (within 3db +or-) from 20-200hz with the exception of a 5db dip @125hz that I'm still working on.

Attachments

• IMG_7495.JPG
    IMG_7495.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 755
  • IMG_7499.JPG
    IMG_7499.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 753
Dave, you have a REALLY nice system. I am particularly enamored with your Aries TT. My 19 has been in the system since the late 80's and it is probably time to upgrade. I am hoping to use my current arm and cartridge though. Are you still pleased with your Aries?

Nice subwoofer Dave!!! I'll be right on your tail my friend.... just watch and wait... :).

Joey

Thanks Joey, But just to let a fellow Plinius owner know the amp stand is not undersized, in fact it is considered ideal for the fact that the heat sinks have No obstruction top or bottom, thus allowing a better 'chimney' effect for heat dissipation.
Correct Dave!!! You want clearance not only above the heat sinks, but also below them for proper dissipation.

Glad things have worked out well with the Sub and the Room Treatments!!! Now just a few more treatments to help out your other frequency problem...:rocker:

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
The distinct pleasure...

Last weekend, I had the opportunity to listen to Dave's wonderful system.

In a word: Wow.

Dave, much like his buddy Dan (DTB300) has done a superb job at blending his components together through careful research, long hours of auditioning, and, of course, jumping on great deals for new gear.

A sampling of what we listened to:

Joss Stone
Sarah McLaughlin
Chuck Mangione
Eric Clapton

Dave is as we all know a Diehard Analog fan. I had Sarah McLaughlin on CD, and as luck would have it, Dave had the same album on vinyl. We were able to do a nice comparison. Dave has listened to way more vinyl albums than I have and he was able to to point out some interesting differences. Most notably, the way the piano sounds (more decay). Both renditions sounded terrific. Logans are perhaps best known for the way female vocalists sounds through them. Sarah's Angels was just terrific through Dave's gear.

A+.

Also, in the last few months he purchased a velodyne sub with the built in SMS. He got this idea from Dan who uses that piece of equipment to integrate his sub into this 2 channel system. Dan has a very bright room (basically it's a concrete bunker) and adding a sub into such a room is notoriously difficult. Dave also has a somewhat live room (it doubles as his office) and has to deal with a large gun safe right next to one of his Vantages. Dave's sub, much like Dan's, really solidifies the bottom end. It didn't sound boomy to me, or overpowering at all. Dave isn't much of a tweaker (in terms of equalization). Once he finds a set of parameters that he's comfortable with, he'll leave it alone and use those settings across the board.

Dave's system is truly awesome and, like many people here, has opted to make the most of what he has in terms of acoustics and budget. Instead of dropping nearly 10k on summits, he bridged the gap with a great sub, room treatments and recently got a new preamp (Audio Research). If you take away those pieces and spent the difference on better (more expensive speakers), I doubt it would be any better. In fact, it may be way worse, since the room treatments have greatly enhanced the listening experience. There was a tremendous difference in sound when you are standing/sitting near his desk as opposed to sitting in the chair that's in the sweet spot. Amazing what a few feet will do!

For those that don't know Dave on a personal level, you couldn't meet a nicer guy. He's very knowledgeable and was a great host.

Naturally, I had to check out his trains and you should see what he has in the backyard! Too bad he was injured playing softball, because I wanted some Live Steam!!

Bravo, Dave. Job well done.

Erik

Dave... I'm sure he's an awesome guy! He's one of the several guys I truly want to meet at the ML meet.

I bet his system is nice, the guy has been in this game for about as long as I've breathed, maybe more! He's a great guy to get pointers from, no doubt!

One question on the vinyl setup..... did it have less "grain" to it? You know, something they describe as digital glare or something? Like did the vocals sound less reproduced and more natural?

I remember on direct comparison between CD and LP (same album), on a cheap TT system mind you (by comparison to Dave's Aries 3), and the differences were easily appreciable... to the point where I can't wait to have my own TT system.

Thanks you two for providing me with some nice reading material this morning. I usually make a round through the forums before I start studying and this was a nice post to read about one of the guys I have lots of respect for.

Where's the beer emoticon for Dave....???

:cheers:

Dave... I'm sure he's an awesome guy! He's one of the several guys I truly want to meet at the ML meet.

I bet his system is nice, the guy has been in this game for about as long as I've breathed, maybe more! He's a great guy to get pointers from, no doubt!

One question on the vinyl setup..... did it have less "grain" to it? You know, something they describe as digital glare or something? Like did the vocals sound less reproduced and more natural?

I remember on direct comparison between CD and LP (same album), on a cheap TT system mind you (by comparison to Dave's Aries 3), and the differences were easily appreciable... to the point where I can't wait to have my own TT system.

Thanks you two for providing me with some nice reading material this morning. I usually make a round through the forums before I start studying and this was a nice post to read about one of the guys I have lots of respect for.

Where's the beer emoticon for Dave....???

:cheers:

Well, I can't comment on the vinyl vs digital tracks since I have listened to very, very few vinyl recordings. To me when the playback was via the CD and then through the record player, they sounded very similar.

Granted, some more seasoned listeners, like Dave, can indeed tell the difference very quickly. But, I believe my trouble in discerning these subtleties can be attriubuted to Dave's system. Whether it was an old record, or a brand new CD, his gear makes everything sound good!

Joey, in our comparison of CD vs Vinyl is was not an issue of 'grain' rather one of presentation, whereby the piano in the "Angel" track sounded closer to 'the real thing', more believable, call it what you want. Even the bottom end may have had 'a little more attack'. Keep in mind these were very subtle observations.

I wish I had played the CD of Chuck Mangiones - "Children of Sanchez" for it can't hold a candle to the LP (which Erik did get to listen to). This is a classic example of music recorded thirty years ago that was mixed, Eq'd, etc for vinyl and then later 're-done' for CD.

Even though I am and will always be partial to analog, I still LOVE and APPRECIATE both formats when done correctly. With that being said keep in mind the variables that go into assembling a good analog system take time and persistence in order to achieve good results. The matching of TT, tonearm, cartridge and phono-pre is more important than alot of folks realize.

Joey,
The matching of TT, tonearm, cartridge and phono-pre is more important than alot of folks realize.

Which is exactly why I'm waiting this one out... I want to do it right.

Thanks, Dave!

Analog Upgrade

Got the call from Overture last week while back home in Upstate Ny that my VPI SDS and ARC PH-5 had arrived. While I enjoyed attending the Buffalo Bills Training camp I was anxious to get home to pick up the "New toys".

The SDS unit is superb, Tim, you gotta get one of these ! I can't believe how much the voltage / freq varied from the wall outlet, I put the strobe disc on the platter before hooking up the SDS unit just to see.

The flexability of the PH-5 for cartridge loading is a nice feature. I'll put a few more hours of break-in (I've only played one album so far !!) before I post any critical judgement, but so far, so good !!

Attachments

• IMG_7760.JPG
    IMG_7760.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 623
  • IMG_7761.JPG
    IMG_7761.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 631
Hi Dave,

Congrats for your new acquisitions, this is state of the art equipment that should give you hours of listening pleasure !

Enjoy !

Nice catch Dave!!

That SDS sure looks serious. Any audible difference?

Back