Considering McIntosh Amps -Opinions?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beakman

Reaction score
I just bought a used Mac FM tuner, which got me thinking about their amps. Since I'm currently running Vantages with an Innersound 300 (300W @ 8 ohm, 600 @ 4, etc.), I would be looking at used or demo MC402, a pair of 402's in mono, or 501's.
What has been your experience with these amps, what can I expect in comparison to my or similar high-current amp, and what should I look (out) for.
Thanks.

PS: Would it make sense to acquire a single mono block soon and acquire another at some later date (like a year or so) or would there be too many variables in that mix?

Last edited:
Beakman, I have a 402 driving my Prodigies. Before I got my Mac, I was using a Krell FPB-300. Nothing against the Krell, I just find the sound from the 402/Prodigy more to my liking.

PS: Would it make sense to acquire a single mono block soon and acquire another at some later date (like a year or so) or would there be too many variables in that mix?
What would you do with a single monoblock?

I would hook it up to my center channel

What would you do with a single monoblock?

Oogle it, touch it, plug it in and watch the pretty lights.
OK, maybe I mean get a 402 and later another 402 and use them then as monoblocks.

I think you'd enjoy it very much. If you can swing it the 501s I would. They are something special and what a lot of folks upgrade to from the 402s. That isn't meant to take anything away from the 402, it's a great amp but i've never know anyone thats made the upgrade go back or not notice an improvement. :rocker:

As to getting one 501 I wouldn't recommend it unless it was going to be for a center channel. Otherwise having it without it's mate would just be torture. :banghead:

Well, I have a 402 and love it. Maybe I'm just tone deaf, but I really can't tell a difference between it and the 501s driving speakers with powered woofers like the Summit. (Of course, I wouldn't turn them down if someone wanted to give me a pair!) Either way, I'm confident you'd be happy. They're both excellent amps.

If your going to buy just one 501 I'd say buy the second. I know I would not be able to just let one of them sit there. Some good deals on the 'Gon right now.

As a friend once told me, life is short, it is only money, you'll make more.

Gordon

I've had amps that have a built-in bridging capability, but I don't think that's true of the 402. Or am I wrong? I wouldn't do it, in any case. It isn't worth the compromises. I'd definitely go to true monoblocks before I'd go to a bridged amp.

Do NOT bridge! Get mono blocks!

I've had amps that have a built-in bridging capability, but I don't think that's true of the 402. Or am I wrong? I wouldn't do it, in any case. It isn't worth the compromises. I'd definitely go to true monoblocks before I'd go to a bridged amp.

Why (not)? Explain please.

There are several reasons to be cautious about bridging an amp. For one thing, it is easy to screw up and damage the amp and/or your speakers. You also have to be aware that you will be pulling more current through the outputs with the same load, increasing heat and wear and tear on the amp, especially an amp that is not designed with this use in mind. Finally, there is usually a sonic cost to be paid since (to quote someone else on this point who knows more than I do) "the primary form of amplifier non-linearity - crossover distortion - will be worse because both amplifiers in bridge will cross the zero volt point at the same time." (http://sound.westhost.com/project14.htm)

The MC402 is designed to operate either in the stereo mode or in parallel mode. Provided you follow the instruction in the owner manual there should be no issues. Whether you find the mono configuration sonically equal is another story. Having never heard an MC402 configured that way I have no comments.

The MC402 is designed to operate either in the stereo mode or in parallel mode. Provided you follow the instruction in the owner manual there should be no issues. Whether you find the mono configuration sonically equal is another story. Having never heard an MC402 configured that way I have no comments.

Thanks. I never considered bridging that amp or noticed that McIntosh allowed for it in the manual, so that's news to me. In any case, the best choice is to use a stereo amp to produce stereo, but the bridging option is there (obviously) if the designers included it. 'Interesting that they did.

Last edited:
Thanks. I never considered bridging that amp or noticed that McIntosh allowed for it in the manual, so that's news to me. In any case, the best choice is to use a stereo amp to produce stereo, but the bridging option is there (obviously) if the designers included it. 'Interesting that they did.

I could be wrong but I think that all of their stereo amps can be run in parallel mono. I know the 252, 275, 402, and 602 all can. Not sure about the 2102 but it would surprise me if it couldn't.

I can only speculate, but their amps are probably over designed so that the customer has maximum flexibility in use. This also isn't anything new to McIntosh. Their amps have had this capability going back a long, long time. Longer than most compainies have been around. If you go with Mc I wouldn't worry about hurting the amp.

Recently upgraded from a McIntosh MA 7000 Integrated (250w per channel) to a pair of McIntosh 501's for my Spires. And as others here have stated get yourself a pair of 501's if your funds allow, as they are the best sounding amplification I've ever had in my system.

Latest posts

Back