"THE CLASSIC COMPOSERS" collection

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

music again

Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with the "CLASSIC COMPOSERS" CD collection?

I received this in the mail last week. What I received was a CD of MOZART Musical masterpieces, and if I send in the post card back I'd receive Beethoven and Chopin CD books on trial as well as a listener Guide. After that you receive a CD book about every three weeks to audition for $14.95 plus $1.95 shipping. The CD sound quality is not all that bad and about an hour long. The book is OK.

I have no intentions of signing up for this, but I have to admit, it does look like a good way to intoduce yourself to a wide variety of classical composers.

Is anyone taking part in this and should I take a second look?

Is there a better way to get this kind of variety of classical music?

JM

Very interesting that you mentioned this as I have been getting these now for about 6 months. I signed up for the 2 at a time deal. It is definitely a good way to introduce yourself to a wide variety of composers.

I have about 40 CD books so far. I've found that the sound quality varies from track to track, with some very good with others of decent quality. I like them because they're sent to me automatically and I have it on an auto pay setup with them. There are, of course, many CD's out there of a much high caliber of sound quality. But a lot of times it's knowing which musical works you like.

So at least with these I can listen to them and I know which ones I really enjoy and which ones are so so. So later if I want to buy an audiophile grade CD I'll know what to look for.

I'd say try a few more and see what you think of them.

Seth

...The book is OK.

I have no intentions of signing up for this, but I have to admit, it does look like a good way to intoduce yourself to a wide variety of classical composers.

Is anyone taking part in this and should I take a second look?

Is there a better way to get this kind of variety of classical music?

JM

I do not have a suggestion for getting a variety of complete works. However, for purely educational and somewhat widespread examinations of classical music for the layman, I would look to Robert Greenberg lectures. He is extremely engaging, knowledgable, and passionate. Sometimes, its tough to get through all of the discs for any given composer, but that has more to do with my impatience than anything. I think there is even a 10 greatest composers set or something, but excludes Bach since he already did a multi-disc lecture series on him. Once in a while I imagine that it gets a bit technical for the non-musician, but I'm not too sure. If you have any friends that happen to be a teacher, they can obtain these collections with excellent discount.

Another, even older, series is the Young People's Concerts by Bernstein and the NY Phil. Black and white video, nationally broadcasted back in the day. I've seen several of them, and a couple of them left me extremely impressed with Bernstein's pedagogical prowess. How cool would it be for a teacher to have the NYP at your beck and call to provide musical examples!? He doesn't even turn to them at times, the lectures often do seem to be choreographed with world-class orchestra.

The above ideas do not offer audiophile SQ, and only a few pieces (or just movements) performed in their entirety.

But once you get your feet wet with the help of a good teacher, you can dive right in to the composers that please you!

I received the same CD at about the same time as you. I have no intention on subscribing as I don't listen to classical on CD very much, but as a intro for someone just getting into classical this might be a great way, with almost no pain, to listen to a lot of different works.

.............I don't listen to classical on CD very much............
Funny, but I'm the same. Perhaps it's because I tend to wander around when playing a CD, and hate to give that treatment to classical.

Latest posts

Back