Alternative audio websites

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A website you all may like is this one: www.hifi-advice.com/
It's from a guy in The Netherlands who writes extensive reviews of all sorts of equipment. I do not know him, but it seems to me he buys everything himself and then studies it extensively.
And... he is a former ML owner, but has crossed the line towards Maggies.

A website you all may like is this one: www.hifi-advice.com/
It's from a guy in The Netherlands who writes extensive reviews of all sorts of equipment. I do not know him, but it seems to me he buys everything himself and then studies it extensively.
And... he is a former ML owner, but has crossed the line towards Maggies.

Some lines ain't meant t'be crossed ;)

ETA: Just read the Mytek DAC review over on hifi-advice. I agree with you. He's a solid reviewer with, apparently, nearly unlimited resources. I'll be visiting his site more often (even his tragic decision to drift away from MLs is not enough to detour me). Thanks for posting.

Last edited:
I put that down to all-stars like Bernard, Gordon, Rich and Todd.:)

I thought I was the one who ran off all the old timers. ;)

I have dabbled in other forums once or twice, but none had the same feel as this one. And I just don't have the time to follow a bunch of different forums. I have to say, though, that this forum is truly something special. I remember meeting so many of the original forum members when we visited the Martin Logan factory a few years ago. That was awesome. I have met quite a few people on this forum who I consider good friends. I plan on visiting with Steve (Slowgeezr) in Austin later this month, and Gordon, I may be headed your way this summer. I'll let you know if it pans out. I also very much hope to visit in person with Justin the next time I visit across the pond. Hopefully, that will be in the next year or so.

Bernard,

Regarding room treatments and our friends across the ocean, maybe it's something in the water?

Great news Rich. Hope you can make it happen.

Gordon

PS: What about the "What's Best" forum. From the little that I have visited, seems like a good one. Kinda like AA with some more "meat on the bones".

Also, they have a separate section on ML's and several MLC members post there. Myles B. Astor is a well respected reviewer (hope I'm right Justin) who uses ML's as his reference speaker.

Last edited:
Bernard,

Regarding room treatments and our friends across the ocean, maybe it's something in the water?

Great news Rich. Hope you can make it happen.

Gordon
Gordon, I think it's something in the air. The stuff in the water only affects the whiskey! :)

I plan on visiting with Steve (Slowgeezr) in Austin later this month

Oops. Brain fart. I'm going somewhere else later this month. I'll be visiting with Steve the middle of next month.

This is without doubt my fave forum.

I put that down to all-stars like Bernard, Gordon, Rich and Todd.:)

My sentiments exactly!

And also agree we're fortunate to have Tom who somehow manages to strike the right balance among the members and keep things in perspective.

We're quite fortunate.

Last edited:
And also agree we're fortunate to have Tom who somehow manages to strike the right balance among the members an keep thing in perspective.

While we are patting ourselves on the back here, let's give a shout-out to all our moderators. Tom, our fearless leader, as well as Tim and Dave, are all great guys who do a wonderful job keeping this forum on an even keel. I hope everyone that is truly involved in this forum gets to meet each of them in person some day, because they are just a great group of guys.

I thought I was the one who ran off all the old timers. ;)

But you did it with such style, Rich!!!:D

Sure if you're around the West country feel free to pop in.

WRT other forum members then of course those quoted are just a few of the superstars that have/do populate these pages.

And WRT room treatments... well, erm... I have noticed a tendancy for those who acquire them on a certain UK based forum to, er, get rid of them after a while. Perplexing? Hm. I must say though at the recent show in Bristol there were two rooms I heard using treatments and they were a far cry from great\best in show. I regard them as a fine tuning tool if you think your system needs it.

http://www.audioaficionado.org/ - which runs at a blistering pace, with one of the members clocking in at 25K posts. I like it because their classical music threads are hyper-active. While I've not run into any overtly disrespectful individuals over there, still just doesn't seem like "home" like it does here at MLO :)

totally agree Todd, fair number of 'prima donnas' as well and they do like to 'kiss each other butts' too !

Last edited:
totally agree Todd, fair number of 'prima donnas' as well and they do like to 'kiss each other butts' as well !

I just saw the "What's on your wrist" thread over there... for the love of God. While I'm thoroughly enjoying the classical music thread, some of the other AA threads are effing ridiculous. How many Rolexes can (should) one person own? Definitely tends toward an uber-yacht-club feel over there at times (or what I imagine it to be anyway since I don't own an uber-yacht). The world only needs so many Thurston Howell the Thirds. That said, it is fascinating to watch the trillionaire over there begin assembling yet another new system (I think he's going with Burmester in his bonus room). Hey, to each his own :)

Todd,

I'm glad someone else has stated the obvious.

Here we have a bunch of wealthy, middle aged men that, for the most part, applaud each other when they spend money / aka backslapping.

Look at the moderator's signature. How many systems and how much MacIntosh, Burmester, Sonus Faber gear, etc. can one person own? Suffice to say that self indulgence seems to top modesty.

And yes, you need to pay a fee to send a PM.

I know I've been a bit sensitive to this issue but the MLC seems to be absent of the one percent bravado displayed, in headlights, on the AA forum.

GG

Last edited:
Here's the rehillionaire's latest setup... not sure what speakers he plans to mate with these componenets (probably Burmester as well)... but I have to admit I'd love to hear the completed system.

OK, I promise not to let anymore elitist 0.001% audiophilia leak into our beloved MLO.

15960d1331851592-cape-reference-system-pics-dsc_3379.jpg

Oops. Brain fart. I'm going somewhere else later this month. I'll be visiting with Steve the middle of next month.

I'm glad you posted this, I was thinking I'm losing it! See you in April!

Regarding other forums, I continue call this site home, even though I no longer have Martin Logans. As others have said, I've also made friends here and the camaraderie is great, even if we do often have differing opinions, usually in the "Off Topic" threads!

I do check and post on AudioAficionado at times and What's Best Forum, rarely. I like the WBF because of the industry people who post there, so I can get their perspective on various issues. I like AA because of the way their site is set up, making it very easy to find information on particular products, etc. Very friendly and helpful people there and they are making it a site about people, too. I have investigated Audiokarma, but there is too much antagonism there, for me. Too many vintage equipment owners with strong attitudes.

wrist watches

Hey Todd,

I checked out the AA "watch" thread. 353 posts. :bowdown:

Remember the Super Bowl commercial entitled "He has money coming out the wazoo".

Gordon

Gordon , I have looked at posts like that over there , there sure seems to be a lot of the 1% gathering on that site. I like some of the sections there and have learned quite a bit from the CJ crowd. Hey if they got it and want to flaunt it more power to them. Not my cup of tea but then I dont have as much to flaunt:D

Hi Rep,

I totally agree regarding your CJ comment.

Since my next big upgrade will likely be the purchase of a used ET5 pre, I found the "tube" discussion to be very informative. So my criticism of the site is not universal.

BTW Todd, Ivan is buying the Sonus Faber Aida speaker for his Burmeister electronics. List $115K.

Gordon

Last edited:
I took a quick look at the AA website, and it seems like most of the space there is taken up by the owner's signature. I hate to scroll unnecessarily through page after page of the same stuff. Why does he not just put a link to it, or is it in keeping with the conspicuous consumption policy ?

Back