System #531 (ESL9)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sid

Reaction score
Sid Thomas

Midland, TX USA

ESL 9 Classic New

Install Date 7/1/17

No Mods

McIntosh D-150 preamp, MC275, MC152 amps, MCT450 CD Transport. Furman ITReference15i Power Conditioner, BluSound NODE2 Streaming Player. Cables Audio Quest Cinnamon Optical, Rocket 44, King Cobra.

Currently driving the panels with the MC275 and bottom end with the MC152. This is my starting over system after a 40+ year absence due to life etc. Almost left out one additional component ReSound hearing aids :D;)

Attachments

• 20170924_061137.jpg
    20170924_061137.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 641
  • 20171020_052555.jpg
    20171020_052555.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 646
Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome aboard Sid, I've gotta ask ....... you left speaker opens behind it what appears to be nothing while your right one is up against the wall ?

The room is not very conducive to a premiere listening environment (when my wife retires I'll fix this in the next home). The left speaker is inward right on the edge of the open area. The right speaker has an angled wall behind it, both are approximately 12 inches away from the back walls. still experimenting with the placement almost every;)day. I can only do this within limits the boss (my wife) allows.:D

The room is not very conducive to a premiere listening environment (when my wife retires I'll fix this in the next home). The left speaker is inward right on the edge of the open area. The right speaker has an angled wall behind it, both are approximately 12 inches away from the back walls. still experimenting with the placement almost every;)day. I can only do this within limits the boss (my wife) allows.:D

Nice looking system - always loved the McIntosh look! Not sure where your sitting to listen - how far away but my suggestion is to move them closer together and don't toe in so much. Actually try square to the rear wall and by doing so you maybe able to move the out some more and not get in trouble.:music: Once there then experiment with the toe in. You will probably need to recal also once moved and then again with final position. Also would remove the chair and whatever that tall thing is on the left if allowed.

Last edited:
Hi Sid,
Love the Mac's ! I don't see an outboard crossover so I assume you are bi-amping thru the stock passive crossovers? If so, you really should consider a full active setup :music:

Hi Sid,
Love the Mac's ! I don't see an outboard crossover so I assume you are bi-amping thru the stock passive crossovers? If so, you really should consider a full active setup :music:

Yes sir I am bi-amping with the stock crossovers. I am open to a good active crossover if you have a suggestion relative to Brand and Model I would surely welcome it?

GW1800,
I will implement your placement suggestions also, for sound and enhancement of room appearance :rocker:

Thanks guys for your suggestions still a newbie on this modern Hi Fi world

Even though I'm a huge proponent of going all active crossovers (my rig is all active), in your case, I'd recommend you go with what you are now doing.

At most, use a crossover ahead of the two amps to split out the low frequencies and route those to a good subwoofer or two. That will both clean up the mid bass on the ESL 9 and provide more even in-room low-end (especially with two subs).

I am currently considering upgrading to a pair of new MC275's. How do you like them?

I currently have the McIntosh integrated 6700, and I love it. I have a pair of ML Montis.

Your system is beautiful, love all the Mc!

bikerneil.........the jury is still out on the MC275??????????? Currently experimenting with a Mac MEN220 Room Correction in the system. Trying to Bi Amp the 275 driving the panels and SS MC152 driving the woofers. Contingent upon my success or failure I may sell the 275:(

GW1800,
I will implement your placement suggestions also, for sound and enhancement of room appearance :rocker:

Just wondering if you made some changes before all your testing? If you did do you have another picture?

GW1800,

I did make the changes in placement per your suggestion it did help tremendously. Thank you.

Found a "deal" on a McIntosh MEN220 Room Correction System it's now in the system, with factory settings (no tweaking yet) getting better all the time.;) I will utilize it mainly as an active crossover. BTW the new piece did expose a bad speaker wire.

I will post a new photo and update after Thanksgiving.

GW1800,

I did make the changes in placement per your suggestion it did help tremendously. Thank you.

I will post a new photo and update after Thanksgiving.

Glad to hear. Looking forward to the new pictures

I added a 210 Sub to the system. After much tweaking with speaker placement, MEN220 and PBK it is now sounding much better. Finally got the clarity, separation and punch I was looking for.
The active crossover was indeed what the ESL 9's needed for this application.
My next experiment will be to use either the MC275 or MC152 as a standalone as opposed to the bi-amping mode currently used. Understanding I may have to tweak the Room Correction again.
Thanks again to all the suggestions. Happy New year to all.

Back