SACD Player Recomendations

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twich54

Forum Administrator
Reaction score
I have zero intrest to rip, zip or stream so with that being said what is everyones recommendations for SACD Players......

my budget is somewhat open and here is what I've thought about.......

Marantz SA14S1

Oppo 205

Esoteric KO7x

Esoteric KO3x (used)

thoughts ..........

Hola Dave,

I use a Mac Mini with two different virtual players. The Audirvana Plus and the HQPlayer by Signalyst. The Audirvana is made for Itunes and the HPQplayer is more DSD format.

www.audirvana.com and www.signalyst.com

Read carefully the specs and what each virtual player is offering. What I have is external drives where I have all the high resolution music. I have PCM and of course DSD.

My dac is the Exasound E-32. My system never sound as it is right now. I have also a change in my preamp and my power amp. Are Conrad Johnson ET-7 and the Classic One Twenty SE. These changes had brought to my system a dramatic change in quality! No edgy sound, no sore throats, right timbre, right size of the instruments, a lot of air between them and an incredible wide stage with very good depth.
Go computer audio, many hi-end brands had discontinued the cd players. Now I have all my music in the external hard drives...and the sound quality is excellent!

Happy listening!

Dave, I picked up an Oppo 105D not long after they were discontinued (as it was their last player to offer HDCD decoding), and have been extremely happy with it. While I listen primarily through my computer, I decided I still wanted the ability to spin a disc on occasion and wanted to be able to play my HDCDs and SACDs. Compared to my old Esoteric I’d have to say it’s every bit as good, possibly better in that the DAC seems to offer a more holistic and refined presentation, without being as “laid back” as the Esoteric was. Factor in the price and the Oppo was a no brained for me. I believe Tom has one too and is happy with it.

Plus, if I ever add a projector to my room I have a great source for movies.

Dave,

I auditioned the OPPO 105D. It provided good detail, imaging and dimensionality but I found it a bit on the "light" side of the sonic equation (lack of midrange body / bloom) for my tastes.

Also tried the Esoteric K01. Better than the OPPO but same issue.

Good luck,

Gordon

PS: And the difference in performance between the two players, with the K01 retail price being eight times the OPPO, is another indicator of a true bargain in this crazy, hyped price hi-end audio world. Pair it with the KEF LS 50's and a good quality, sub $1K integrated amp (NAD, etc.) and you will have a system you can listen to for a long time.

Last edited:
What happened to the Cary?

Gordon, the Cary is still going strong, it's my second system that has a 'CD' only player (Rotel and quite good) and I lucked into an estate collection of about 100 SACD's that I want to be able to play on both systems.

Tim, I've read some really good things about the new Oppo 205 so that is on my radar.

Rich, I'll have to further investigate the PS Audio.

I know the Esoteric units are are top notch but not sure I want to spend that much unless I come upon a nice used one.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far gents !

I know the Esoteric units are are top notch but not sure I want to spend that much unless I come upon a nice used one.

Dave, their transports are top drawer. However, they are very sensitive to system matching and synergy. Reaction to their single box CDP's are all over the map. They like balanced versus SE IC's. I would strongly recommend that you audition before buying. Same for dCS products. Caveat emptor.

Best,

Gordon

I thought SACDs were all but dead. I remember walking into a large record store in Montreal years ago, and seeing a bunch they were almost giving away.

Dave, their transports are top drawer. However, they are very sensitive to system matching and synergy. Reaction to their single box CDP's are all over the map. They like balanced versus SE IC's. I would strongly recommend that you audition before buying. Same for dCS products. Caveat emptor.

Best,

Gordon

Gordon, I have heard that same thing from multiple sources, given their high $$ pricing I'm somewhat leery .....I'd love to find another Cary 306 at the right price.......patience is a virtue !

I thought SACDs were all but dead. I remember walking into a large record store in Montreal years ago, and seeing a bunch they were almost giving away.

Bernard, I now have approx 130 SACD's, thus wanting to have a capable player. Rich's comment on the PS Audio unit has garnered similar praise on other forums while at the same time time I'm getting the feeling that for $$ nothing tops the Oppo 205 .............

Dave, there is one other option I’m just going to throw out there, though I doubt you will have any interest. I have a Wadia 981i cd/sacd player that is in need of repair. This is a fantastic player and originally retailed for $11,000. I bought it from Jeff Dorgay (prior to pissing him off enough that he left the forum :angel:). Anyway, I used it for a few years but at some point the analog output stage died. No idea why. The digital outs work fine, but no sound from the analog outs. I haven’t taken the time or effort to get it repaired so I can sell it (as I’m totally hooked on the ps audio DS player and DAC now). Anyway, if you want to handle the repair, I could make you a very good deal on it. It may still be too much money for the time and effort involved, so I don’t expect you to have any interest, but I wanted to throw it out there as an option.

Rich's comment on the PS Audio unit has garnered similar praise on other forums while at the same time time I'm getting the feeling that for $$ nothing tops the Oppo 205 .............

While I agree with the Oppo as a value proposition, I will say that I have the prior version (oppo 105) in my home theater system. It’s a capable player, but it doesn’t hold a candle to my ps audio memory player / DS DAC combo. Not anywhere in the same ballpark as far as the actual results. It could easily be a cheap $50 Sony or Panasonic in comparison. The detail, separation of voices and instruments, tonal accuracy, soundstaging, etc. of the PS Audio combination is just in another league altogether.

Bernard,

Not true at all. Many classical / jazz selections available on line with new releases from Pentatone, Channel Classics, etc being released. I think the main reason for the media viability is the Japanese market. Still quite popular there.

Gordon

I have been extremely impressed with my PS Audio Memory Player, but it is CD only. They now have a newer, better version that also plays SACDs: the DirectStream Memory Player (which I will upgrade to at some point). Highly recommend you check it out.

http://www.psaudio.com/products/directstream-memory-player/

Rich, after studying this more I see it's a player only, no DAC. Not for me, I want a 'all in one' set up.

Thanks for the offer on the Wadia but you're right I don't want to deal with unknown repairs.

Agree. Anything you can't stream is a dead duck. But now that you can rip/stream SACDs, I don't see how there can be any market for them? Who wants to deal with storage and mucking around with physical discs?

Here in Brisbane, there is all of one physical record store left. They have reduced their size by about half a few years ago, but honestly, I haven't even been in there for at least 7 years now. I believe they do quite a "quaint" little trade with vinyl - I should drop by and see what their SACD situation is like?

I have zero intrest to rip, zip or stream so with that being said what is everyones recommendations for SACD Players......

my budget is somewhat open and here is what I've thought about.......

Marantz SA14S1

Oppo 205

Esoteric KO7x

Esoteric KO3x (used)

thoughts ..........

Here is a thought - and you won't like it. Take your sacds and get them ripped by a very nice fellow and have him keep a backup for you. :). He could ...every now and then - validate the backup copies were good by playing them to make sure. You then go buy a directstream dac , a decent USB , and buy Jriver. The directstream goes for way under sticker with the right dealer. Told you wouldn't like it. But it will be the best source you have ever heard

Here is a thought - and you won't like it. Take your sacds and get them ripped by a very nice fellow and have him keep a backup for you. :). He could ...every now and then - validate the backup copies were good by playing them to make sure. You then go buy a directstream dac , a decent USB , and buy Jriver. The directstream goes for way under sticker with the right dealer. Told you wouldn't like it. But it will be the best source you have ever heard

LOL Tim, as I said before I have ZERO interest in zipping, ripping, tweeting, texting, twaddling or whatever !!!! ...........as for streaming, at my age I regard that as being able to take a good **** (leak) !

I love having everything ripped. Rip them all and never worry about it again.
I can't imagine looking for or even handling media anymore.

Then there is nothing mechanical to wear out ever again. Nothing to scratch, worry about dust, etc.. etc..

Latest posts

Back