Help: Aeon i panels dropping in volume after a few minutes.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinyl Score

Reaction score
I have just bought these a week ago & they have been in storage several years.

They reduce in volume gradually over about 5 minutes, down to a level where the bass driver over dominates the sound, they sound "muffled".

If I switch them off & back on again they "reset" to "normal".

I don't know if this is relevant but the LEDs don't come on at all.

Any ideas how to remedy the problem?

If it was one speaker, I would have thought the issue would have been the power supply to the panel in the speaker.

Given the issue is with both speakers, and is identical, I have doubts the issue is with the speakers.

I wonder if the issue is with your amp, maybe it cannot handle the load of the panels.

What are you running?

Last edited:
If it was one speaker, I would have thought the issue would have been the power supply to the panel in the speaker.

Given the issue is with both speakers, and is identical, I have doubts the issue is with the speakers.

I wonder if the issue is with your amp, maybe it cannot handle the load of the panels.

What are you running?

An Audiolab 8000A

It sounds as if the signal sensing circuit of the ML's is cutting power to the panels. Not familiar with your amp, but this could be the culprit. Try using a stopwatch to record the time the panels go dead. If it continues to be the same time (5 or 6 minutes usually), then that would make sense. My Summits did this with a Class D amp.

Hola. To me, you have bad power supplies at both speakers. The power supplies might work at the beginning, but with a leaking capacitors or leaking diodes at the multiplier voltage could be the problem too. You should address your question direct to the Martin Logan service department. Or just give to them a call. They will help you to track the problem easy.

Ask for Mr. Scott Gribble. He is a very knowledge and handy person, or send to him an email: [email protected]

A small 25 years old amp. That might be your problem.

You should try to borrow another amp to see if the problem is recreated.

I tried a 85W amp too (TEAC) it did the same. Do you think I need a much higher powered amp?

It sounds as if the signal sensing circuit of the ML's is cutting power to the panels. Not familiar with your amp, but this could be the culprit. Try using a stopwatch to record the time the panels go dead. If it continues to be the same time (5 or 6 minutes usually), then that would make sense. My Summits did this with a Class D amp.

They don't go dead, just drop to about half the amplitude after a few minutes. How powerful was your Class D amp?

Hola. To me, you have bad power supplies at both speakers. The power supplies might work at the beginning, but with a leaking capacitors or leaking diodes at the multiplier voltage could be the problem too. You should address your question direct to the Martin Logan service department. Or just give to them a call. They will help you to track the problem easy.

Ask for Mr. Scott Gribble. He is a very knowledge and handy person, or send to him an email: [email protected]

This sounds like a likely scenario.

Last edited:
Does this work? (I don't know why it's getting attached so small...)
If you have any doubts then please become a diyaudio member, and ask member 'bolserst' for advice, as he's very helpful and an invaluable ESL resource.

Attachments

• ML HV PS 50Hz mod.jpg
    ML HV PS 50Hz mod.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
let's try again
not working, can't make them normal sized...
I give up.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-10-06 at 15.18.31 .jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-10-06 at 15.18.31 .jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 98

Latest posts

Back