The "Unknown Symphony"

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twich54

Forum Administrator
Reaction score
Artist - Peter I. Tchaikovsky
Title - Piano Concerto #3, Symphony #7 - The London Philharmonic conducted by Neeme Jarvi. Geoffrey tozer on Piano
Year of Release - 1993
Label - Chandos
Genre - Classical

I've commented on this recording before so I though it was about time I foramally gave it a review.

The Seventh Symphony was Tchaikovsky's last and while he did not finish it at the time of his death it was brought to completion by Sergei Bogatyryev. Not the emotional and at times crazzied composer like Tchaikovsky he did an admirable job. The performance (in E flat major) by the London Philharmonic sounds to me, magnificent, but given the fact that so very few have ever been recorded, and I have never heard it performed live, I have little by which to judge. The strength of the piano is so evident that it just begs to be played on "Logans" . While "T" died in 1893, the 7th was first performened in 1957 by the Moscow Philharmonic. It has been said that Eugene Ormandy and the Phila. Orchestra performened it best back in 1962.

Finally, the Third Piano Concerto, which has never achieved the popularity of his first or second, has many Tchaikovsky qualities. The riveting and powerfull style which is easily recognisable flows throughout . Unfortunately this is not a fully-formed composition, for it stands on it's single, albeit powerfull, movement; Allegro brillante

So for those out there that are Tchaikovsky fans and don't have a recording of his final works, buy all means seek this out !!

Attachments

• CHAN%209130.jpg
    CHAN%209130.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 603
Last edited:
Artist - Peter I. Tchaikovsky
Title - Piano Concerto #3, Symphony #7 - The London Philharmonic conducted by Neeme Jarvi. Geoffrey tozer on Piano
Year of Release - 1993
Label - Chandos
Genre - Classical

I've commented on this recording before so I though it was about time I foramally gave it a review..........
Dave, would you please do a more in-depth review, movement by movement, of the symphony. I am by no means a Tchaikovsky fan (I like Beethoven first and foremost, then Schubert), but would be interested to read the theme of the work.

Dave, would you please do a more in-depth review, movement by movement, of the symphony.

opening Mv'mt - Allegro brillante, is typical Tchaikovsky, the mood swings of his personality are evident in the involvement of all(instruments) and the pace which is quick. One could almost feel his somewhat despondent nature intertwined within.

The second Mv'mt - Andante, brings things into a more peacfull state, showcasing the orchestra's strings and woodwin section first and foremost. Aftwerwhich the third Mv'mt - Scherzo, begins to pick up the pace , with some more brass and percussion. A customary Tchaikovsky piece with a bit of 'recycling' from "Scherzo fantasie"

The forth and final Mv'mt - Allegro maestro, brings excellent tempo, wide dynamics and a spirited pace. Bogatryev's writing and finishing of the Symphony adheres to the theme which Tchaikovsky began.

The CD concludes with the Third Piano Concerto, represented by it's one Mv'mt - Allegro brillante, it is sixteen minutes of spirted work performed by Geoffrey Tozer. The pace along with it's powerfull cadenza speak volumes to the composers Russian Heritage.

Love Tchaikovsky. He reaches my hard rock core:rocker:. I just saw the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra perform his fifth last week at the Meyerhoff(sp). What an experience.

One problem that I have with classical recordings is that these ML's make everything audible. With electronically driven music that is very good. With these large orchestras, sometimes there is lots of superfluous sounds. Can you give advise on how to pick the right recordings? Any 5.1 recordings out there?

One problem that I have with classical recordings is that these ML's make everything audible. With electronically driven music that is very good. With these large orchestras, sometimes there is lots of superfluous sounds. Can you give advise on how to pick the right recordings? Any 5.1 recordings out there?

If it's 'Hall ambience' that is subtle in nature I don't see/hear anything wrong with that. On the other hand if it's artificially dubbed 'noise' , or missplaced location of instruments, etc then multi channel just become a big Mumbo Jumbo Mess.

since your a Tchaikovsky fan I can recomend the following SACD:

Christoph Eschenbach and The Phila Orchestra peforming PT's 4th Symphony (f minor). Recorded last year in the Verizon Hall in Philly.

Label - OnDine

Christoph Eschenbach and The Phila Orchestra peforming PT's 4th Symphony (f minor). Recorded last year in the Verizon Hall in Philly.

Label - OnDine
I heard Rostropovich conducting the NSO in the 4th, live. It was awesome, especially that blazing last movement.

Thanks for the recommendation. Glad its his fourth, its one of my favorites.

Sorry to admit it but I have just learned about SACD from postings here, and then reading about it on line. Needless to say, I do not yet own a SACD player. You have just given me one more reason to start looking into that format.

Needless to say, I do not yet own a SACD player. You have just given me one more reason to start looking into that format.

FYI, it's a hybrid disc, playable on a standard CD player.

Please forgive me for veering off topic, but are all SACD's playable on conventional CD players?

No, only the discs with a CD audio layer.

Risabet is correct Tom. You need to find a "Hybrid" SACD that includes a standard RedBook CD layer if you want to listen to it on a conventional (RedBook) CD player. FWIW - most SACD's these days are coming out as Hybrids.

Latest posts

Back