Considering McIntosh Amps -Opinions?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jonervi,

How'd you like the MA7000? I've got the integrated running on a set of Vantage's at the moment. The two components seem to compliment each other very well, which honestly isn't much of a surprise.

Jonervi,

How'd you like the MA7000? I've got the integrated running on a set of Vantage's at the moment. The two components seem to compliment each other very well, which honestly isn't much of a surprise.

Zero........

The MA7000 was the first McIntosh equipment I ever owned, and it also powered a pair of Vantages I had at the time before I upgraded to the Spires I currently have. So I know you are enjoying a really great combo right now.

When an opportunity to trade my MA7000 in towards the 501's came a callin, I jumped on it. All I know is that I've been through a few brands of amps with Martin Logans (Musical Fidelity/Jeff Rowland/Sunfire) all good choices, however the McIntosh is great.

Enjoy !!!

It appears we're getting quite a few folks here from Maryland. Wonder if it is time to start a MD group as some of the other area have?

Gordon

Listen for yourself!
Send your units down and I'll do so.
I was hoping to avoid the 5 figure sums involved to be able to make a well conducted comparison. I was hoping that maybe someone has had McIntosh amps and at one time maybe did have bridged amps and mono's, so they could relate to me their experience from actuality rather than hearsay. Right now as it stands, a well regarded manufacturer produces a bridgeable amp without fear for the brand reputation vs. offhand opinions of folks that possibly may well have thousand dollar power cords and magical dots up their yazoo's:D. Nothing personal, but a large dollar purchase warrants as much objectivity as can be had. "listen for yourself" aint cuttin' it.

I was hoping to avoid the 5 figure sums involved to be able to make a well conducted comparison. I was hoping that maybe someone has had McIntosh amps and at one time maybe did have bridged amps and mono's, so they could relate to me their experience from actuality rather than hearsay. Right now as it stands, a well regarded manufacturer produces a bridgeable amp without fear for the brand reputation vs. offhand opinions of folks that possibly may well have thousand dollar power cords and magical dots up their yazoo's:D. Nothing personal, but a large dollar purchase warrants as much objectivity as can be had. "listen for yourself" aint cuttin' it.

Try posting you question over on the Mc board on AudioKarma. The link is http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54. Lots of McIntosh experience there and this has been discussed before. I'm sure you can find someone that has done what you're asking. Good Luck!

It appears we're getting quite a few folks here from Maryland. Wonder if it is time to start a MD group as some of the other area have?

Gordon

You can count me in. 'Good idea.

I was hoping that maybe someone has had McIntosh amps and at one time maybe did have bridged amps and mono's, so they could relate to me their experience from actuality rather than hearsay.

Sorry, I don't own magic dots, etc. I have in fact bridged other amps, but not the Mac. (Never had any need or desire to do it, so I never looked for the capability.) In my previous experience, there was indeed a trade off between added power (what I desired) and a bit of lost clarity (which I accepted for the time being, since I couldn't afford a more powerful amp at that point). In any case, it is not unreasonable to use an amp in bridged mode if is built for it, especially as an expedient. I did the same thing myself for a few years. Having said that, I was aware that I was not getting the most out of my equipment by means of that arrangement. When I switched to a more powerful, unbridged amp, I finally got what I wanted. Bridging an amp that is not built for it (not the Mac, in this case) is, however, another story.

In don't own Mac gear, but find yourself a dealer..............

I don't think the sound can be too bad because there are a lot of folks using the MC275 in mono mode and they seem to be quite happy with the results.

Hi Beakman,

I certainly recall a thread at AK covering this exact issue. I believe his name was Jerome and he was using a pair of MC352 bridged. The thread is fairly old but it should be searchable. I was considering doing the same thing, but the 501 deal was too good to pass up. The 352 is no slouch and they are still available new from a company in NY.

Good luck, Gordon

Gordon

I'm interested as well, I'm just over the DC line, perhaps we should extend an invite to others like myself who are close to the MD/DC/NoVA line.

Impressive system Gordon, although I may be biased ;)

OK, some good advise on where to get info and such. Thank you all very much for the help. :music:

Back