Replace Descent With A JL f113?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waboman

Reaction score
I currently have the original Descent. It must be about 10 years old. Recently I've been toying with the idea of replacing it with a JL Audio f113. Anyone here use a JL sub with their Logans? Any opinions either way? Thanks!

I'm running a single F112 with my Vistas and love it! Deep, fast and accurate are words that come to mind!

Hello,
Switching to an F113 would definitely be an upgrade. If you had a Descent i, it would be a tough call. However with the Decent i, it went to 3 250 watt amplifiers versus the single 400 watt amplifier in your Descent.

In addition, the JL also features Room Correction. While your Descent is still an excellent subwoofer, the F113 would most likely be a worthwhile upgrade.

Hopefully, you can audition it in your home to discern if it sounds better in your particular application.
Cheers,
ML

absolutely YES! i bought an F113 about a year ago, and loved it so much, I bought a second one for my large-ish basement theater! It is an unbelievable sub. It plays amazingly fast, acurate and very deeeeeeep! I compare it to having a heavy piece of machinery in the room that vibrates a concrete floor at very low cycles... I replaced my aging Velodyne F1800 RII and never looked back! It is one of the best subs you can buy imho.

I don't own but I've listened....it would be a no-brianer !

One comment on this -- I have a descent - and I find that the interesting thing about that sub is that you don't really hear it - but it is there. So, when looking at subs - for music - as an example -- and someone says it 'rocks the house' -- Is that considered a 'musical' sub? Does the JL audio disappear - or is it making its presence well known? Does someone want something that pounds them into the next room -- is that what the Fathom does? This is sort of the conundrum - or so it seems - that with a sub -- you want to hear it .... but you don't want to hear it... if that makes any sense at all... I heard the diff when I moved to my descent from a paradigm 10" sub....

One comment on this -- I have a descent - and I find that the interesting thing about that sub is that you don't really hear it - but it is there. So, when looking at subs - for music - as an example -- and someone says it 'rocks the house' -- Is that considered a 'musical' sub? Does the JL audio disappear - or is it making its presence well known? Does someone want something that pounds them into the next room -- is that what the Fathom does? This is sort of the conundrum - or so it seems - that with a sub -- you want to hear it .... but you don't want to hear it... if that makes any sense at all... I heard the diff when I moved to my descent from a paradigm 10" sub....

Being somewhat of a Bass aficionado this is interesting. I have to say in my setup the fathoms completely disappear into the room, and you cannot really locate the bass/low end at all. It all appears as one huge soundstage to me including incredibly low bass output. When I had my old velodyne F1800 RII, that sub "rocked' the house, but you could definitely tell it was in the front right corner. So, yes imho the fathoms totally integrate very well with ML's and are just incredible subs for the money. I liked the Fathoms so much, I had a custom sub box built in my Mercedes SUV with the same driver that is in the fathom (for automotive use - the 13w7)!

Hi Jeff, I installed a pair of 112's with the Spires. They are a stereo pair and each is a Master. It took me a bit of tweaking to get them to blend but in the end, well worth the money and effort.

For a few days I had them dialed up way too high just to see what they were capable of and they can knock you into the next room if that is what you desire! Reality set in and the effort got underway to blend them accurately. Now, bass is authentic to me and not localized unless the bass is recorded hard left or right. They seem to have fleshed out the entire presentation without drawing any real attention to themselves. I can cycle them on and off with my pre and the on is full and pleasing. The off gives a thinner sound but not unpleasant in the least. There is a noticeable difference between the two but not a day and night because I set them that way.

You can allow them to shine if you prefer, but, just like an actor, I like them in the supporting role not the lead!

Gordon

Hi Jeff, I installed a pair of 112's with the Spires. They are a stereo pair and each is a Master. It took me a bit of tweaking to get them to blend but in the end, well worth the money and effort.

Gordon

I'm running a single F112 with my Vistas and love it! Deep, fast and accurate are words that come to mind!

Hello,
Switching to an F113 would definitely be an upgrade.
ML

absolutely YES! i bought an F113 about a year ago, and loved it so much, I bought a second one for my large-ish basement theater! It is an unbelievable sub. It is one of the best subs you can buy imho.

Thanks for the great responses everyone!!:) It's much appreciated.

Wow! It seems overwhelmingly in favor of the JL sub! Quite unusual for any one audio product to have such unanimous positive feedback. Also, the ones who've switched from a different sub to the JL are it's most positive supports. That's great to hear. Very cool.:cool:

images

Now comes the bittersweet task of selling me Descent.:( Any ideas on what Descents are going for nowadays?

Hello,
It would probably sell in a hurry at around 11-1200 Dollars on Audiogon. The Descent's listed for 1500 seem to stay unsold. If you have you original packaging, that would be a huge plus.
Cheers,
ML

I do have all the original boxes and packaging.

My Desent is in excellent condition except... when I first got it some 10 years ago, I don't recall exactly how I did it, but a broke a piece of the frame inside the grill. Does that make sense how I described it? There's no way to notice it unless you actually grab that certain spot to remove the grill. I was and still am saddened by it. :(

Hello,
You might want to call Martin Logan about the price of a replacement grill, Especially if your Descent is in mint condition otherwise. It is great that you have your packaging as it allows for shipping Nationwide.

Martin Logan Subwoofers sell quite well on the used market as they are truly excellent, well built products. Audiogon will probably be the best destination for selling it. However, posting a listing in the Classified Forum here would be a good idea. Also, Craigslist can be useful and selling local is definitely a plus with such a heavy item. I really down about Audiogon accessing a 1% sellers fee. All the same, probably the place you will get the most looks and highest sale price.
Cheers,
ML

I talked with a very polite gentleman at ML today regarding a replacement grill cover for my Descent. Sure enough, they have 'em. I went ahead and ordered one up. Should be mailed out today. ML really has excellent customer service!

I talked with a very polite gentleman at ML today regarding a replacement grill cover for my Descent. Sure enough, they have 'em. I went ahead and ordered one up. Should be mailed out today. ML really has excellent customer service!

yeah - I got one for mine .. I think it was 75 dollars?????

yeah - I got one for mine .. I think it was 75 dollars?????

They told me $45 + $5 for shipping. Which I didn't think was too bad for a ML grill cover.

Back