McIntosh MCD 500 OR Esoteric X-03 SE?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the Esoteric X-03SE and find it to be a glorious player. I appreciate its ability to extract every minute of data off the CD and deliver it down stream with such accuracy, detail and most pleasing to the ear. This is one player with no digital artifacts to disrupt your listing enjoyment.

Hello, Thank you for every inputs.

I just talk with Esoteric distributor, they allow a home test (one day only). I will try to get Mc for A-B test.

At least, I will know whether Esoterric -> Krell -> Vantage combo will be too bright or analytical for me or not.

Esoteric -> one of the best CD player manufacturer with greatest transport :music:
Mcintosh -> World class for high end gear, sexy look :bowdown:

A-B test will be my final decision.

Thanks everybody, have a good days!

Hello, Thank you for every inputs.

I just talk with Esoteric distributor, they allow a home test (one day only). I will try to get Mc for A-B test.

At least, I will know whether Esoterric -> Krell -> Vantage combo will be too bright or analytical for me or not.

Esoteric -> one of the best CD player manufacturer with greatest transport :music:
Mcintosh -> World class for high end gear, sexy look :bowdown:

A-B test will be my final decision.

Thanks everybody, have a good days!

well - if you get an opportuity like that -make sure to report back o your findings....good luck...

Hi mikroski,

If you audition the Esoteric, make darn sure the unit is burned in. This takes several hundred hours. If not, you will not be hearing what this CDP will sound like.

Assuming you are OK with 2 channel playback only, I would also recommend a listen to the Cary 306 or 306 Pro SACD CDP.

I have the former in my system. Very musical and very engaging. Tremendous flexibility contouring the sound with the analogue and digital upsampling options. And it does allow hookup for additional digital devices.

GG

Hi mikroski,

If you audition the Esoteric, make darn sure the unit is burned in. This takes several hundred hours. If not, you will not be hearing what this CDP will sound like.

Assuming you are OK with 2 channel playback only, I would also recommend a listen to the Cary 306 or 306 Pro SACD CDP.

I have the former in my system. Very musical and very engaging. Tremendous flexibility contouring the sound with the analogue and digital upsampling options. And it does allow hookup for additional digital devices.

GG
Hi GG

Thanks, distrbutor have demo unit, I think it already burn in. For Cary player, price in Thailand is higher than my budget.

I have not compared the 2 directly, but I always found Esoterics analytical, detailed, deliberate, prodding, and boring. I find Mac more musical generally, but frequently lacking detailed musical information. I personally like Ayre a lot because it has the detail of Esoteric presented in a musical way - in between the two for the best of both worlds.

In theory, these look like polar opposites. The Cary vs. Mac is a much more interesting comparison.

System synergy, tastes, and ears, of course, should decide.

Back