vantage 35hz control (new M/L owner)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daz-b

Reaction score
Hi all!!

Ive gone and done it....................Ive just ordered my first ever pair of martin logans; the vantage. Hopefully they should be here by the end of this week.

So theres gonna be plenty of questions coming your way.

First question is a technical one regarding the 35hz control knob. Ive looked on the martin logan website and also done a search on here but cant find the detailed info Im looking for.

Im trying to find out exactly what freqency range this 35hz level can increase or attenuate. Further to this I really would like info on what the exact center frequency is for this level adjustment knob.

Any of you guys know??

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks in advance,
Daz

Hi all!!

Ive gone and done it....................Ive just ordered my first ever pair of martin logans; the vantage. Hopefully they should be here by the end of this week.

So theres gonna be plenty of questions coming your way.

First question is a technical one regarding the 35hz control knob. Ive looked on the martin logan website and also done a search on here but cant find the detailed info Im looking for.

Im trying to find out exactly what freqency range this 35hz level can increase or attenuate. Further to this I really would like info on what the exact center frequency is for this level adjustment knob.

Any of you guys know??

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks in advance,
Daz

Ok -easy does it... Craig... :) it is not a fluctuating frequency like you are thinking daz.... It is just a volume control of the 35Hz frequency.

by the way -- congrats on your purchase -- what kind of amp etc... do you have in your system... Exciting times - isn't it?

It is a nice tool to have around...

Hola...all rooms interact with our sound system. The 35Hz control, allows you to increase or decrease the low info, for the standing waves that you might have. First listen your favorite song, then play it again with the control at -4dB, and listen again. If you feel that it is better, then go -6 dBs...and listen again. If your lower bass is too thin, increase at the point where you like it most. To much boom boom, or one note bass is the clue here...trust your ears, they will tell...happy listening,
Roberto.

Cheers for the info. Understand that its a volume control but I mean over what frequency range. It surely doesnt just adjust 35Hz. Read manual on website and found that it says 35-50Hz
Will suck and see when I get them (my worst frequency boom is at approx 50Hz).
I current use a Rives PARC EQ unit to decrease a number of low frequency nodes I have.
Im quite knowledgable on room acoustic issues etc, so was thinking ahead of the game with regards to the 35hz vantage control....

My main system consists of:
All Electrocompaniet
EMC1UP (CDP)
E.C 4.8 (PRE)
AW250-R (PWER)
ECD1 (DAC, used for DVD/Sat etc)

Rives PARC (parametric eq)

The Vantages will be used for both 2 channel music & also 2 channel AV.

Cheers for the info. Understand that its a volume control but I mean over what frequency range. It surely doesnt just adjust 35Hz. Read manual on website and found that it says 35-50Hz
I current use a Rives PARC EQ unit to decrease a number of low frequency nodes I have.
Im quite knowledgable on room acoustic issues etc, so was thinking ahead of the game with regards to the 35hz vantage control....

All Electrocompaniet
EMC1UP (CDP)
E.C 4.8 (PRE)
AW250-R (PWER)

It is a parametric equalizer...+- 10dBs at 35Hz...believe me, it works!...happy listening,
roberto.

I believe the filter spec you are asking for is called "Q." (In laymen's terms, 'sharpness' or 'peakiness')
Ask ML: I'm sure they will give it to you. (Not!) But you could figure it out, once you got your hands on the speaker. Or better: Wait for JonFo to weigh in...

Im sure the level knob works great. The initial question is mainly with regards to my current PARC unit and intergrating it with the vantages. Or even better would be that /i didnt require it anymore....

Yep I am talking 'Q'

When doing/calculating P-EQ adjustments theres normally 3 factors involved. Center frequency / Q / db +or-.

All Electrocompaniet
EMC1UP (CDP)
E.C 4.8 (PRE)
AW250-R (PWER)

That will make for a very nice sounding system. I'm a fan of Electrocompaniet gear and that company now has a very responsive major U.S. distributor in California including a service network for US customers. No longer are forced with trying to deal with customer service in a foreign country (Norway). This is a significant improvement for EC in the U.S..

The control on the Vantage will allow you to do some tuning +_ of 35Hz and should help some with your 50Hz peak. Large bass traps should take care of the rest if you're not already using them.

I haven't used the Rives PARC but have had Sleepysurf's XTZ Room Analyzer and that has proven to be a very useful tool for tuning and identifying system anomalies. Sounds like the Rives is already telling you a lot.

The Vantages will be an excellent match with the EC gear. I'll be setting up my EC system again once we get past the holiday season. By the way, how do you like the 4.8 preamp and are you using the new style RF remote with display? I'm using the 4.7 with the cheesy remote and may upgrade next year.

I'd like to see photos of your system when you have it all setup.

Last edited:
Hi Craig,
thanks for the above comments.

I love the EC gear; not only the sound...the looks too.

The 4.8 is great and Im sure your 4.7 is great also.

All the freebie EC remotes are pants. The EMC1UP control is as rubbish as the 4.8. Im currently using a philips pronto remote for all my hifi and AV gear. I very nearly purchased one of the EC RF remotes yesterday, however the dealer told me that they have had a number of issues with them and that EC are soon to be bringing a new RF remote out so to wait on until it is released. Im also wanting one of the new EC FM/DAB tuners, hoping they launch them in the uk soon.

As requested will post pics of my room / setup when all complete. My biggest problem is my 'room'. Its not very big and also doubles as the main familly living room. I am VERY limited in what I can do (defo no bass traps allowed, hence me using the Rives PARC). The room only measures approx 3.3x4.8M on which I HAVE to set up and listen across the shorter 3.3M :-( This means on the down side I have to sit up to the back wall which in turn gives me the poor bass response (so the PARC comes to the rescue). On the plus side I can have my current speakers quite wide and away from siide walls. Further to the use of the PARC Ive also got a number of wall mounted acoustic foam panels (that look 'nice' for the missus). I have these on the wall behind listener; one of the side walls (cant do other because its a large patio window); I also have panels on wall behind current speakers and hoping that these will be very useful with the vantages when they arrive. Wish to add a couple on panels to the ceiling but hasnt gone down very well with the missus.

Best wishes,
Daz

Hi Craig,
All the freebie EC remotes are pants. The EMC1UP control is as rubbish as the 4.8.
I agree. Although, I never would have thought to call them "pants". Gotta love the UK!

...I very nearly purchased one of the EC RF remotes yesterday, however the dealer told me that they have had a number of issues with them and that EC are soon to be bringing a new RF remote out so to wait on until it is released.
That's good to know. I'd hate to have RFI cause a runaway volume control.

...My biggest problem is my 'room'. Its not very big and also doubles as the main familly living room. I am VERY limited in what I can do (defo no bass traps allowed, hence me using the Rives PARC)
A stuffed padded sofa, couch, padded ottoman (instead of coffee table) or chair also work as bass traps. So that may be more acceptable to the wife and just something to consider if you haven't already.

Sounds like you are already pretty good with treating the room. Being able to adjust the bass output on your Vantages is a big plus.

Take care,
Craig

Last edited:
Hi Daz,
Good advice from Roberto there..... :) ....you may not need as much as -4 or -6 though, as, with your experience, you will be aware that placement from the front wall/corners will have a big say in the adjustment. You may find that -2db or so gives very natural bass?
All the best.....enjoy your new speakers when they arrive. Class A power like yours will be exactly what they need.
Victor :)

Hi again. Thanks for the top-tips. Will look into them.
Much appreciated.

'Pants' just thought you U.S guys prob use this word for your trousers in UK it means your underwear....

Hope to receive the speakers tomorrow. Thats just a hope as wanted them today but thats not going to happen now....

Going to start a new thread soon (will do searchas on here first though) as the header is still for the 35hz level control.

Cheers,
Daz

Back