ML Clarity / Cinema backing

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gig103

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm new here, glad to have found the site! I bought an ML system back in 2004 - Clarity, Cinema i, and Script i. I use them for movies

I'm finally in a new home and I'm doing some construction for a home theater. As cool as the speakers look, I am putting them behind an acoustically transparent screen because I'm going for a 2.35:1 ratio, which will fill the majority of the wall.

Anyway, my question is about what to put behind the speakers, as I'm putting up a wall to divide the space. I have read on other sites that putting a dampening material on the screenwall is good for many speakers, but since the MLs are dipole, am I better off with normal drywall behind them?

Thanks!

Welcome. It will more than likely need some absorption behind the Cinema and Claritys. Having it behind the screen should not affect it that much. At one time mine was enclosed with a grill cloth over it and it clearly muted its sound and dispersion pattern. Yours will not be that bad since it is just the screen. Once you adjust the volume of all speakers it should be fine.
Try some music through the multi channel system so there is no video to distract you and play with different amounts of absorption to see what you prefer.
Let us know how it works our and post some pics.

Wow, I can't believe so much time passed since I was "thinking about" this, but the theater is finally coming back together!

So, as it stands now, I only drywalled outside of the wall, so it's unfinished behind the speakers. Still trying to determine if drywall is necessary, or maybe Linacoustic?

Here is the speaker space - the screen and some acoustically transparent FR701 will be on the front (righthand) wall.
IMG_3682.sized.jpg

And then, here it is from the seating area.
IMG_3700.sized.jpg

Back