2 pairs CLS side by side?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raanan17

Reaction score
Hi all.I remember a post by someone who reported on the advantages of having 2 pairs of CLSs side by side,but I am unable to locate this post with the search function.
As I am now contemplating a similar arrangement,could the original poster please email me at [email protected]
Thanks,Raanan

Found posts by LACEE on A'gon re side by side CLSs

Somehow,I was under the impression that there had been further elucidation here as well.
Former member NSGARCH registered his bitter opposition to the idea saying that it could not possibly sound good,amidst the protestations of the OP that the combo sounded marvelous.Sounds familiar?

I do remember the post but not that well. I would steer away from quoting a former member who we both have limited knowledge of what transpired.;)

I would think there would be phase issues and timing ques. If they were wired with one crossover and such maybe, I also read a while back on the MUG forum about stacking them. It had mixed results also. Same issues Phase and timing !

Thanks for chiming in,Chris.
Years ago,I had my CLSs in the same room with a pair of Tannoy Red 15 inchers in Lancaster enclosures-the dual concentric breed.Just out of curiosity I hooked up the CLSs and Tannoys together.The Tannoys were to the sides of the room, the CLSs in their normal spot.The results were unbelieveably good.
When I posted my surprise at how the two pairs of speakers sounded together,I got lots of flak from people who said that the comb effect would be such that the sound had to be awful.I am a classical musician,I trust my ears,my 46 years of professional music making have given me some idea of how music sounds in various circumstances.
I am intrigued,though by LACEE's post reporting on how 2 pairs of CLSs sounded side by side.My ceiling is not high enough to take a vertically stacked pair.If I put 2 pairs side by side my girlfriend may put a pillow over me,but one can dream,no?

I have used two pair side by side with no problems. Now I have them a few feet apart without any problems. When they were next to each other, I wired them to present an 8 ohm load to the amps.

The room has no bass issues because it is about 990 square feet with openings into another 1000 square feet or so. The sweet spot is centered on the sofa, but it also goes back another 8 feet or so before the tremendous image is lost. I sit about ten feet from the mains.

My friend described the system as an extra large nearfield setup, much like a sub - monitor system.

If you have the patience, I recommend trying and telling us how things worked out.
DSCN8883.jpg

WOW (4) Descent. Talk abbout bass control.

I am guessing that the yellow and blue barbells are used to exercise the listeners ears when the system is not on, very impressive. :D

I am also guessing that Duke likes emersive mch music.:bowdown:

That's a mad looking system pictured. The ultimate home cinema would be CLS's all the way around the room.

That GIGANTIC SUB thing in the corner calls me ! :devil:

The nearfield listening experience in that room must be like sitting in the orchestra pit at Carnegie Hall.:D

I meant that with good humor and quite a bit of envy.

Needs more cowbell!

That's impressive. I'm intrigued by those who experiment and push the envelope. Have you ever tried using the 2nd CLS set as a pair of rear surrounds?

Hi Every Poster,

I appreciate getting a warm welcome. I want to credit this website and the help of a speaker builder in the Madison area for helping me with my setup. He built the Fostex subwoofer in the right corner.

I never did put the clsIIz's behind the sofa, the cost for the speaker wire or the xlr would be too great. As it is, I use 4-meter connectors for the two outside speakers.

I never used the speakers as rears, but I sometimes use them as left side - right side. I usually play both pairs as main right and left side using xlr splitters to help with the signal. The Theater is used when I play the computer or for HT.

The clsIIz speakers are slightly modded too. I hope this answers your question.

Hi Every Poster,

I appreciate getting a warm welcome. I want to credit this website and the help of a speaker builder in the Madison area for helping me with my setup. He built the Fostex subwoofer in the right corner.

I never did put the clsIIz's behind the sofa, the cost for the speaker wire or the xlr would be too great. As it is, I use 4-meter connectors for the two outside speakers.

I never used the speakers as rears, but I sometimes use them as left side - right side. I usually play both pairs as main right and left side using xlr splitters to help with the signal. The Theater is used when I play the computer or for HT.

The clsIIz speakers are slightly modded too. I hope this answers your question.

What mods have u done to the CLS IIz's?

I don't know if anyone noticed -- but I have to ask....your couch - is it on a rolling sub-floor to change your seating distance???

Hi Dan Osib, Thanks to you and HBrandt, I changed out the speaker wire to Au 24 and did the large Bybee mods on both the power and stator end of the speaker. I considered not having any wire, but I could not figure out how to terminate my Valhalla speaker wires to the board.

Do you know off hand what the Goertz mod involves? I want to know what part to buy.

http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1568 Hifiasylet mentions it in tweaks.

DSCN1735.jpg

DSCN1740.jpg

DSCN1742.jpg

Last edited:
I made a platform to hide the wire runs and to make the seating position accommodate the tall Billy Bags pro stand. The clsIIz speakers are elevated to suit the seating position. The platform can be moved, but is done very slowly with six helpers.

Hi Dan Osib, Thanks to you and HBrandt, I changed out the speaker wire to Au 24 and did the large Bybee mods on both the power and stator end of the speaker. I considered not having any wire, but I could not figure out how to terminate my Valhalla speaker wires to the board.

Do you know off hand what the Goertz mod involves? I want to know what part to buy.

http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1568 Hifiasylet mentions it in tweaks.

DSCN1735.jpg

DSCN1740.jpg

DSCN1742.jpg

DUKE,
did u read my thread on CLS IIz sound enhancement:- http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=340

Back