Amps: Pass Labs v. Blue Circle

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dchazen

Reaction score
How do Pass Labs amps and Blue Circle amps compare when used with Martin Logan speakers? I would be interested in reading the impressions from those who have has the opportunity to listen to both.

I once listened to a single ended pass, the black cube looking one which was available about ten year ago, paired with some mini monitors. It was not tube-like, but had a clean quiet background, kind of relaxed.

Look through the Member's System area and send out a few PM's. Maybe get a faster response?

Blue Circle, hybrid or SS models? Very cool looking stuff, great reviews.

Gilbert Y., Principal at Blue Circle used to be a member on this site. I know he owns a pair of Bright Pink CLS's as well as a set of Statement E2's. I'm pretty sure he would say that the Blue Circle gear pairs well with Logans!

Many members here own and love the Pass gear, I'm sure you'll get plenty of replys from their ranks.

Last edited:
Hi D,

Can't speak for the Blue Circle since I haven't heard the product.

Regarding the Pass Labs, myself, along with others on this site, have had a very positive experience.

My personal perspective. There's great synergy between ML and PL.

The combination, for me, is quite musical.

Best option. Test drive in your house (money back if you don't like, of course) and make an informed decision.

GG

One of the big downsides with the Blue Circle gear is that you are paying a tremendous amount of money for essentially a bespoke product. As most of their stuff is "built to order", the cost has to be a lot higher because they are buying parts in much lower quantities than a company like Pass, ARC, etc would pay.

I've always thought they've made fairly good sounding gear, but I've always thought it incredibly overpriced and the finish to be pretty lacking for what they are charging for their recent offerings.

When you start charging five figures for hifi gear, it should look great as well as sound great. There's no reason you can't expect both for that kind of money...

Hi D,

Can't speak for the Blue Circle since I haven't heard the product.

Regarding the Pass Labs, myself, along with others on this site, have had a very positive experience.

My personal perspective. There's great synergy between ML and PL.

The combination, for me, is quite musical.

Best option. Test drive in your house (money back if you don't like, of course) and make an informed decision.

GG

I 2nd that! ML and PL is a match from heaven. :music:

Don't know of any ML owners using Blue Circle. But there are tons of satisfied ML owners using Pass Labs. I love my X-350.5 with my Ascents. I solidly recommend Pass.

Pass vs Blue Circle

How do Pass Labs amps and Blue Circle amps compare when used with Martin Logan speakers? I would be interested in reading the impressions from those who have has the opportunity to listen to both.

I have heard Blue Circles but not with M-Ls. They are decent but not outstanding amplifiers for the money. Pass Labs are reliable and I have had great experiences mating them with an ascending series of M-L's from the Ascent-i, Summit and now CLX. If you want to get the most for your money, explore the X-series. If you want to get the best sound explore the XA-series.

If it ain't Pass, it ain't s#!t...

LOVE his stuff, love him (met him again at Burning Amp last weekend), and don't even think about wanting other gear (even though I don't have the cash for it).

Wow,

how soon they forget?

Blue Circle owner Gilbert was a huge Martin Logan Fan and used to display at audio shows using pink Martin Logans and other such antics I believe.

He has long used them as a reference for designing amps.

My personal axe to grind, NONE, I will take tubes over solid state any day of the week regardless of the name plate.

However, the pile on for Pass makes me want to post as Blue Circle is a long term ML user.

I do love the look of Pass gear though.

Wow,

how soon they forget?

Blue Circle owner Gilbert was a huge Martin Logan Fan and used to display at audio shows using pink Martin Logans and other such antics I believe.

He has long used them as a reference for designing amps.

Pretty much what I said in my post above...

However, the pile on for Pass makes me want to post as Blue Circle is a long term ML user.

However interesting it is that the BC founder was a member here and loves ML's and uses them to voice his components, I'm not sure it is really that relevant to the question asked.

The OP is really looking for impressions of people who have actually heard both and can give some objective comments on the differences between BC and Pass amps.

Unfortunately, it seems most members here seem to have had experience with Pass but not with BC. That may say something in and of itself.

Hi Steelhead,

I am fully confident that each of the members on this site arrived at their decision to purchase Pass Labs independently.

Personally, I purchased the 250.5 with a 30 day money back option and decided to keep it based on my in home audition using those things on the side of my head. I never consulted this website prior to my decision to audition the amp.

The tubes vs SS debate will likely go on forever.

What matters is how the hardware allows the individual listener to connect with the music, which is what this hobby is all about.

Yes, they do look cool. And yes, they sound pretty good too.

GG

Yes, they do look cool. And yes, they sound pretty good too.
Pass Labs and Cary Audio used to market some pretty bland looking black boxes. I'm glad they caught up with (maybe passed) Blue Circle in the Industrial Design aspect.

I've voiced my opinion may times on this. I run on the assumption that at a certain price point it all sounds pretty darn good and for the same money you might as well get something pretty to look at.

Don't throw stones, it's just one man's silly preference.;)

yes, I debated posting as I really had nothing to offer the poster who was looking at the merits and benefits of two great companies. On hindsight I should have just kept my mouth (typewriter) shut.

My personal bias is for tubes and Martin Logans to me sound fuller and richer with tubes in the system. I used my ears for this conclusion and had both in my system. No contest for me. cj for this kid for the foreseeable future.

The only solid state amp I truly enjoyed was a couple of Levinson black monoblocks that put out like 25 watts in class A and a few hundred in heat. They ran really hot but the sound made an impression years and years ago driving B&W 801's which at the time were considered it, although the speakers did not floor me, Dark Side of the Moon was fun listening too at a high end dealer that I frequented. I could not afford either the Levison's or the B&W's but I did buy quite a bit of good stuff and the dealer would let me listen to my heart's content. I have heard big Krells and some other high dollar stuff and it just does not do it for me.

Having never heard a Pass amp I have to say it is one of those components I would love to hear. They look drop dead gorgeous and Nelson is certainly one of the original thinkers in audio. I think the Class A up to certain point would probably duplicate the impression the Levinsons made.

However, I did not help the poster at all and just wanted to give Gilbert some props. Mea Culpa.

Pass XA30.5

I have been using the Pass XA 30.5 with my Spires and couldn't be happier. I have tried both Jeff Rowland solid-state amps and a few tube ones, but none of them drive the Spires nearly as good as the XA 30.5 Don't let the low power rating (30W 8ohm, 60W 4ohm) scare you away, it moves into class AB after that and doesn't clip until 195W into 4ohms. It sounds great and has a reasonable price.

Well, as perhaps one of the longer term Blue Circle owners I can honestly say that you can't go wrong with pairing up BC and ML.
True, Jeff makes some valid points about it being "bespoke" in that most is custom order, but it also allows a very direct interaction with the manufacturer, and allows for a fairly broad range of customizing that isn't generally available with other gear.
As for the sound, well, it makes an absolute beautiful pairing with ML.
Generally speaking, I can honestly say that prior to hearing ML's partnered with BC, I always found the sound of Logans somewhat "lacking" in some respect.. sure, they sounded fast, and transparent, but that ability to sound fluid, and something more akin to "real music" just wasn't doing it for me. After I heard the pairing of Logans being driven by BC stuff, I finally "got it" and there was no going back.
I've been lucky enough to hear Logans from most generations from CLS to Statement E2 and Summit, Vantage, Ascent, Aerius "i", ReQuests, paired with BC. It's all been good, and some is just damned incredible.
Ironically, one of my fave combo's is the modest BC28 (discontinued now) driving the ReQuest, wow.. talk about a midrange to die for! and that less than ideal marriage of that panel to the woofer seems somewhat less bothersome, the integration that many find sluggish, seems mighty fine.
I have no intent in starting flame wars about who makes the "better amp".. Pass Labs amps are EXTREMELY good, and for driving the highly demanding load that Logans present (particularly some of the earlier generations) it's also a smart choice.
The ultimate choice comes down to the listener.. in the end, if you're happy, then it doesn't really matter as long as you keep listening to the music.

Latest posts

Back