Center Channels

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wsmatau

Reaction score
OK, I did a quick search and didn't really find answers to what I'm looking for. Here is my Question:

I'm planning my system and have settled on the Spires. Now I need a center channel. The Stage is the most expensive, but I've read anecdotes that indicate it is not significantly better than other current centers (but it does get a high WAF). So, do I gain any significant performance in spending the extra money on a Stage over a smaller Center channel (or maybe a used Theater/Cinema)?
I'd rather spend the extra coin on my front end.
Any informed opinions would be greatly appreciated.:music:

Sit in the middle, and go without? (At least for a while until you determine what you're missing by having only the Spires.)

What does your 'W' say?

Hello,
Most Stage owners are quite pleased with the performance of it. Myself included. Check out some of Jonfo's posts which describe the advantages of the tweeter being in phase with the panel as opposed to being placed on a outer pod above the panel. The Xstat panel does play louder and is more efficient.

It is true that it is barely larger than the Cinema and is dwarfed by the Theater, but just like the new generation of ML's sound great while being smaller, your Spire's included, the Stage sounds quite good and is the best match for your speakers. Also, Theater i's still fetch quite a bit of money so the difference used is not much.
Cheers,
ML

Thanks for the opinions guys. Anyone else?

BTW the wife thinks the whole thing is ridiculous. But she does miss the built in HT from the house we moved from, so one play of James Taylor Live and she'll be hooked;)

Thanks for the opinions guys. Anyone else?

BTW the wife thinks the whole thing is ridiculous. But she does miss the built in HT from the house we moved from, so one play of James Taylor Live and she'll be hooked;)

As Tosh, I think that people with great Martin Logan speaker could go without center speaker. Invested in your front end. If one day you missed something, while sitting in the sweet spot, go ahead and buy your center speaker.

Hello,
I suppose this all depends on your listening preferences. Most owners who are into HT do have a Center Channel as well. In addition, your room size will make a difference as well. I would look at the Members Systems thread and see how many owners who do use Center Channel Speakers. Unless a 2 Channel setup, very few do not use CC's. Summit and Spire owners included.

If you are primarily listening to music, I would completely understand not getting a CC. However, if you are into movies or TV, I could not imagine not having a CC. While you can get a great experience running your front stage as phantom (CC set to off with your mains handling the CC information of a 5.1 encoded soundtrack), I really think you miss something.

Hopefully, you live near a dealer that would let you audition a Stage or Motif. That way you could setup a CC and see if the juice is worth the squeeze.
ML

Last edited:
I'm still very pleased with my Cinema and couldn't do without it when I'm watching a could DTS 5.1/HD movie!!!

greetings,
Rob.

You have an excellent point, and I do intend on using them in conjunction with a home theater. Otherwise I wouldn't bother with a CC. However, as we all know MLs have a relatively small sweet spot (at least my SL3s did). I am hoping that a CC will expand the listening pleasure to everyone on the the front row (Dare I say a couch full of people?)
I'm not terribly concerned about the look of the speaker because I have a rear projection LCD that has bookcases on either side. The speaker would actually help fill the 18" gap between the TV and the "bridge" above it.

However, as we all know MLs have a relatively small sweet spot (at least my SL3s did). I am hoping that a CC will expand the listening pleasure to everyone on the the front row (Dare I say a couch full of people?)

In surround mode (or DTS) the sweet spot is nearly gone since all the speakers work together to create a full quadrafonic (but using 6 channels) stage. Don't worry about it as long as everyone is sitting within the circle of the 4 corner speakers and the center is near the TV/projection screen you are ok!

I love 5.1 (especially with a well recorded (studio or life) music DVD/Blu-Ray/SACD)!!!

regards,
Rob.

The Stage will match better with the Spires than any other Center Channel, in my opinion. I have one with my Summits and it matches perfectly. The Cinema and Theater are great Center Channels, but they have the old style panels. The Stage has the newer X-stat panels and will match better with the newer speakers like the Spires.

Center Channel

I use a Motif center channel with my Spires and am happy with the result, although for me the system is primarily used for music and only occasionally for watching movies.

my system is used for 70% music and 30%movies lately. every time I hear my stage I think "dam that sounds good" never a feeling of the need to upgrade and to me that is what makes it a great center channel.

Stage: Center Channel

OK, I did a quick search and didn't really find answers to what I'm looking for. Here is my Question:

I'm planning my system and have settled on the Spires. Now I need a center channel. The Stage is the most expensive, but I've read anecdotes that indicate it is not significantly better than other current centers (but it does get a high WAF). So, do I gain any significant performance in spending the extra money on a Stage over a smaller Center channel (or maybe a used Theater/Cinema)?
I'd rather spend the extra coin on my front end.
Any informed opinions would be greatly appreciated.:music:

I have had a Stage with both the original Summits and now the CLX's. It is the perfect complement to the newer 'stats from the Spires on up which was the rationale for M-L coming up with this newer design. It can also daisy-chain power your surrounds and save on the need for extra outlets. I don't think that you would be disappointed if you watch a fair number of movies or television programming in surround sound.

I am curious about this as well, I am looking to replace my Klipsch RF-7s with Spires and go phantom for a center. I have experimented with my Klipsch in phantom mode and the sound is fine. Would the Spires have a similar "sweet spot" size the the RF-7s? I feel like my Klipsch are pretty directional.

Back