Bryston SST Squared?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvitez

Reaction score
Wondering if any ML Club members have purchased/heard/tried the new SST Squared series of amps.

A local dealer is carrying ML again, and has always carried Bryston. Their demo system is a pair of Spires with the 28B SST2 monoblocks...yes 1000 wpc! I was expecting to be floored with this combo, but was actually underwhelmed. I like the sound of my current system better overall, though I do wish for a little more bass slam, which is what Bryston is known for, hence why I was interested in hearing them. I'm curious to hear other peoples experiences.

I currently have the original 6B 500 watt monoblocks hooked up to a set of Summits and am very happy with the combo. I am interested in a 9BSST to create an HT set-up, but have not found any dealers close that have this combo.

Michael Fremer panned the 7b SSt^2 in a recent Stereophile. he called it "boring". There are very mixed opinions of Bryston - some love it and some hate it. The 28 B may be a different beast, however, as Harry Pearson raved about it, which is not something I was expecting.

Bryston like Krell is like, Leon Russel said." A TIGHT ROPE, One side hope and one side hate" .........

Last edited:
Hi Jvitez,

May I recommend a Simaudio Evolution amp. The Sim amps mate incredibly well with Martin Logans.I see you already have a Supernova. I have one as well along with the P-7 pre and older W-5 amp which does an outstanding job.

My other suggestion is, have you considerd a subwoofer? and since you are completely satisfied with your current system, this might be the best idea.This is probably the least expensive solution . Adding a subwoofer also expands the soudstage and really adds to the musical presentation.

Buy a Descent i and position it in the center between your summits for best sound. I did this two years ago adding a depth sub which made a substancial difference.I plan on adding 1 more depth to the system.

Last edited:
I am currently evaluating a Bryston 9bsst2 with Summit X's/Stage/Vista.

I cannot comment on "bass slam" for two reasons.
One, I do not look to my amps for bass slam - I find the bass issues with amps to be less about slam and more about control.
Two, the summits have 2 powered 10's each, oh and there is also a Descent i in this setup...there is very little bass reproduction required by the Bryston.

As for the rest of the sound...absolutely loving it. Gobs of power, controlled top end - even with the Melvins and Pixies!

With the David Gilmour Blu-Ray concert Remember That Night there was no harsh high-end, no compression and no distortion at all levels.

What has surprised me the most is how enjoyable this combo has been at low listening levels. As my listening room is currently the 'living room' I am not always able to listen at the levels I enjoy, and as such find the music being played at much lower volumes. And I find the Bryston to be considerably more enjoyable at low volumes than either my Denon 4308 receiver or Rotel RMB-1575 amp.

My current system is:
PS3 Slim Blu-ray/Gaming
Oppo 981HD - DVD/SACD/DVD-A
Onix XCD-88 CD/HDCD
Denon 4308 receiver
Bryston 98sst2
Summit X/Vista/Stage/Descent i

Just a comment, yes, Bryston is legendary for the ability to play at low levels. Its astonishing, at levels so low that one click on the preamp would make the sound disappear the Bryston manages to maintain its overwhelming resolution, clarity and dynamics....true "first watt" reality...

I use a 14BSST driving my CLSZ2...Bryston is very "straight wire" sound ...sorta like a passive preamp..whatever you put in comes out factual without gloss and that is certainly not for everyone. I cannot really say I hear much difference with the new seies 2. I would like to try a new Conrad Johnson Classic preamp sometime with the Bryston but it seems a little pricey :eek:

Bryston amps are usually love them or leave them.It is a signature sound that you love or hate.I do not care for them with ML's but I loved them with Planar or ribbon speakers.In all fairness I prefer my system to be a warmer, more laid back sound.I can honestly say that they are one of the best built amps you will ever buy.20 year transferable warranties are unheard of.

Very true, Bryston is extremely neutral, so if you want a hint of warmth you should look elsewhere.
I have the integrated B100 DA, pre, power and dac in one box, and after 4 years I am still in awe of the resolution.
Must be one of the worlds most "forgotten" little gems...
I would like a 4B, but I really doubt I would hear a difference with the new squared models...

Put me in the "leave em" category. Never heard a Bryston product I loved. Tried many times, but always left me pretty cold.

My favorite solid state amps of current gen stuff are really, Luxman, Burmester, Sim Audio, the CJ Premier 350 and McIntosh. There are others, but those are my favs.

Plenty of argument and discussion about this...

My favorite solid state amps of current gen stuff are really, Luxman, Burmester, Sim Audio, the CJ Premier 350 and McIntosh. There are others, but those are my favs.

TP that would be a cost no object group of "favs" there. Burmeister, whew!:D

I'd take a Pass Labs Aleph 5 (which you should be able to find a nice clean used one for 1200 bucks) over anything Bryston makes. They are a good company that makes solid products and stands behind their amps with a 20 year warranty.

But the sound has always been very sterile to me. I agree completely with Michael Fremer's assessment of the current model in Stereophile. I've tried Bryston gear many times over the years (we have an upcoming review of the DAC) and it just never sounds like anything I'd ever want to own.

An amp is a very expensive and personal decision. Gotta find the one you like best. The Bryston sounds very similar to current Levinson and the Sanders Amps to me. If you like that sound, it's a good amp.

Luxman and Mc are a little on the warm side, the SimAudio and the Premier 350 are very neutral without sounding thin or analytical and the Burmester is in a category all by itself, but for 30k it should be. I lived happily ever after with my premier 350 for four years, it was a great amp.

Forgot one more favorite, the Moscode 402au. I love that amp, but it is a little on the warm side. Might be too romantic for some, but definitely one of my all time favorites!

on the other hand..I audtioned the CJ Premier 350, Krell monoblocks, Rotel 1090 and Mac 501 on Revels and the Maggie 3.6...only the Krell 700 monoblocks had the resolution I wanted...then I had the chance to try the Krells and the 7bsst Bryston at my home on my CLSZ2...both were very good...can't really beat a 20 year warranty...and the 14b fits in the stereo cabinet...My rule:trust your own ears and if possible... take the amp home to sample...always be your own reviewer...your ears are the best:D

Back