Upgrade bug question

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaronk

Reaction score
Whats kicking fellow Martin Logan'ers.

Quick question for ya. Im currently running vantages for my mains, and upgrade bug is killing me, So my question, A dealer friend is offering me his Summit floor models, for the same price as new spires (of which I was offered a deal as well, trying not to talk prices lol)

So question is, do I take spires with new panel technology, or summits.

I have a VMPS VLA subwoofer (5 12" and 2 15" drivers) so base isnt an issue.

Thoughts opinions from those of you who have had the above speakers?

Thanks in advance!!

Easy: go for the Spires, especially given that you have a sub to augment the bass should you want to do so.

With all due respect to my fellow and respected colleague, I'd consider the opposite, assuming you are into 2 channel and not HT.

You always have the "blending" issue, more wires, more floor space, etc. when adding subs to a system.

Best option and assuming your dealer is willing to work with you, audition both in your room.

That way, you can make an informed decision.

Good luck.

GG

I already have a badass sub, wires are ran, my sub puts out 120 db at 17 cycles, i have it crossed over at 50 atm, and it blends with my vantages atm jjust fine, i can get the summit, or spire for same price, and im not able to demo them at my home, so im really unsure which way to go lol. Hence im asking all you guys that have better stats than me :)

I already have a badass sub, wires are ran, my sub puts out 120 db at 17 cycles, i have it crossed over at 50 atm, and it blends with my vantages atm jjust fine, i can get the summit, or spire for same price, and im not able to demo them at my home, so im really unsure which way to go lol. Hence im asking all you guys that have better stats than me :)

You probably can't go wrong with either option, although I'd be a little concerned about buying without being able to try in your system.

If you get the Summits you won't really need a sub. At least for 2 channel music. Consider that the Summits have 4 10" powered woofers and will play bass in stereo from left/right channels rather than a single mono source such as a single sub. The Summits probably won't shake down the house like your monster sub but it certainly is a clean, tight accurate and well integrated bass.

Spire panel technology is the same as the Summits. I think it's actually the same panel. The Spire has newer crossover technology. Either one is an upgrade from the Vantage which isn't bad to begin with.

Grab a couple of your favorite CDs and ask your dealer friend to let you sit down and listen to both models at the store. Does your dealer friend happen to have a Summit X in the store?

Last edited:
I would go for the Summits. Use your sub for movies only. The summits sound perfect without a sub for 2 channel music.

.Best option and assuming your dealer is willing to work with you, audition both in your room.GG

I agree with Gordons advice if doable, with that being said, all things being equal (speaker condition, warranty, etc) I think the summitts make the most sense

well, if you read the magazine reviews, they favor the Spires over
the older Summits. Myself, i'd rather have a current speaker over a
discontinued model. I tend to like the smaller footprint of the Spires,
but it really depends on the size of your room. I have not heard the
Summits.

well, if you read the magazine reviews, they favor the Spires over
the older Summits. Myself, i'd rather have a current speaker over a
discontinued model. I tend to like the smaller footprint of the Spires,
but it really depends on the size of your room. I have not heard the
Summits.

Hi Mantana,

If you get the opportunity, give the Summits, in either iteration, a listen.

The footprint is essentially the same. Your comment about room size, as well as type of music you listen to and volume thereof, is definitely a factor.

GG

Last edited:
i would consider listening to the Summits....the only dealer
near me had Vantages in stock when i bought the Spires.
Apparently, they only special order the higher priced models...
mostly into custom installations of home theater.

right now i'm awaiting delivery of my Sim I-7 from Fedex....it's
supposed to be here today but it's after 6pm....wonder if they'll
bail until tomorrow.

Good luck with the Sim.

Based on the editorial feedback, it should be quite good.

One comment on reviews. They all should be read with a healthy dose of skepticism.

Regarding the newest product (Spire vs the original Summit), the same comment applies.

Look at the current interest in the older Quad stats as well as the Apogees.

There can be magic (read musicality) that exists in previous models, regardless of hardware type, that is somehow lost in the "new and improved" version.

GG

Another vote for Summit! I am a big fan of going to the top of the heap if it is at all reasonable. It is kind of like buying a 50 in Plasma/LCD when a 56" would fit and is all of $100 more...well, let me just save the extra $100 for cables and set up... Yea RIGHT! About a month down the road you will be kicking yourself for not spending the extra few bucks (or in this case spending NO EXTRA BUCKS) and getting the better/bigger product!

Thank you all for the input everyone!! Think im going to go with the summits, i thought the spires had newer stat technology, but if they are the same, summits it is :)\

And side note, let us know what you think of the sim :) I havnt seen that model yet

Back