Depth I

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stepchal

Reaction score
Hi everyone I'm looking for a little advice my HT setup is m&k thx 750 with the surround 55t I have an old mk sUb the v 76 and of course would like to upgrade my questions are how do people set the depth I up - do you use an spl meter or simply use the Avr processor ( at present an onkyo nr 906). The reason I ask is I have a depth I for a limited demo period and obviously wantofo set it up quickly to enjoy the benefits of the sub. So has anyone any advice on set up and of course with An m&k Ht setup.

Next part of the question is there a new model on the horizon for this sub as I think it's over 4 years old now and don't want to buy last seasons sub when there's a newer one released next month ;-)

My listening area is "L" shaped and of course small living in Singapore :)

Some people do a sub crawl which means you put the sub at the listening spot and then crawl around the room listening for the best cleanest bass response is. That is where some place the sub. I found for best integration with ML's that the sub should be directly in the center position between the speakers for a seemless blend.
Cheers

the descent has gone through at least one running upgrade, perhaps two, and it was a nice upgrade.

Depth I room eq

Thanks for that moon I've heard about the crawl around but not tried before. Well I tried it and it does sound much better definitely not so boomy, the thing is the sales guy from tHe shop simply said it works anywhere so placement doesn't matter??
Well that's good but again the question now becomes If a crawl around affects the sound this much would using a sound meter improve things more? I've never tried this I've tended to rely on the audyssy room eq built into my amp which I find needs a little tweaking once it's been done.

On saying this I've rediscovered my music collection and want to revisit most of it now it sounds so much better.

Depth I revision

Hi arronk I've read the reviews in sterophile and others and I only ask as with a sub of this cost it does seem that some form of built in bass eq is mssing and if I drop the money for this sub now it's gonna hurt if they release a new version with this kind of built in capacity. Or is it simply that the ML team don't see it as a useful addition in any case?

Hello,
I have not read anything about forthcoming upgrades to Martin Logan's ESL Series (Grotto, Depth, Descent) Subwoofers.

The "i" revisions were primarily cosmetic aside from the Descent which was truly overhauled. The Descent i upgraded to 3 250 RMS amplifiers from a single 400 watt amplifier in the Descent. In addition, there were tweaks to the servo control and different cosmetics.

With the Grotto and Depth, the charges were less pronounced. Slightly more powerful amplifiers with higher peak ratings, different cosmetics, and the aforementioned tweaks to the servo control. With the Depth i amplifier power went to 350 RMS from 300 RMS in the original Depth. In addition to higher peak ratings. The Grotto i went to a 300 RMS amplifier from a 250 watt in the original Grotto and upgraded cosmetics. And higher peak ratings.

With Audyssey becoming quite prevalent in SSP/AVR's, EQ for the subwoofer can be handled well in this manner. There are also competing Room EQ systems offered in other SSP/AVR's which address the subwoofer. Especially with the more powerful MultEQ XT which applies 8 times the filtering to the subwoofer channel, the need for the subwoofer to have internal EQ is less important. I am especially a fan of Audyssey's MultEQ XT and have had excellent results with my Depth.
Cheers,
ML

what music do people use for the sub crawl. i'm thinking something like John Lee Hooker (Boom Boom), although my old listening room had a beast of a time playing Robert Palmer's "Bad Case of Loving you" - i got a bass resonance in the back left corner that was unlistenable until a bass trap came into play.

I have M&K S-80 R/L front channels in my HT with a M&K MX-90 subwoofer.

No matter where I put the sub it seemed like too much speaker in the room because the wood floor and floor joist just became too energized.

All my floor speakers (including subwoofer) sit on homemade sandboxes, similar to what Brightstar used to make. This was the only way I could tune the structure of the house to the amount of bass energy.

If you live in a condo or multi-story apartment building I highly suggest you get some absorbing mass (sandboxes) under your speakers.

which bass tracks

Hi Zaphod I also used Robert Palmer his greatest hits is a great album and as you say is full of great deep base. I also used Ray brown and Laurindo Almeida which has some tremendous double bass and cello in this Jazz album - its a nice album anyway but I really like the way the strings sound through my system high lights the depths tightness nicely.

Strangely enough after crawling I find that the best place is still at the front near to my main speakers which is only a slightly different placement to my last sub - so I guess my new crawl has basically reinforced my previous sub placement.

Isolation Pumice stones

Hi Kach22i I also have laminate flooring and your right without sufficient isolation the room sounds terrible so I did a little research on the TNT web site and tried this The TNT Stoneblocks: anti-vibration graphite blocks clones. Its cheap and surprising good and at a fraction of the cost of many products. As a cheap try it pleased me so much I didn't buy anymore Isonodes I simply bought more pumice stones.

It should be noted that I got and still do get strange looks from the wife about this tweak!!

I realise my system is not so HIFI but I feel it does make a noticeable improvement particularly under the sub. Im going to try it before I use the spikes which ML supply.

The sand box sounds a bit much with small children around with potential sandcastles built in my set up ;-)

Back