Ascent versus Aerius

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoboRob

Reaction score
I'm considering to upgrade two of my Aeriuses (L + R front by moving these to the rear) into two Ascent's. What kind of differences can I expect???

Fatter bass? Clearer mid and high (although it is currently already overwhelmingly good)???

Feedback is appreciated!

regards,
Rob

What Tom said! I had the Odyssey's which are close to Ascent's speakers and I was just staggered how much better they performed then the Aeon i's I had.

Ok, I'm convinced and bought a set of 2nd hand Ascents to replace a pair of my Aeriuses (move the front two to be used as rear speakers and use the newly acquired Ascents as L + R front speakers).

It will be another 1,5 months until I have them at home (since I'll ship them from CA where they were on sale to the Netherlands, I love the current dollar/euro exchange rate!!!).

When you say you bought them from CA are you referring to California, Canada or somewhere else? It makes a big difference due to their particular power requirements.

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but if they are coming from the United States then you might want to cancel that purchase and stop payment if you still can!

US spec Martin Logan speakers are made to operate on 110 volts and 60Hz frequency. The Netherlands uses 220 volts and 50Hz and that isn't going to work for US spec ML speakers. Most voltage converters will convert the volts but not the frequency.

Last edited:
US spec Martin Logan speakers are made to operate on 110 volts and 60Hz frequency. The Netherlands uses 220 volts and 50Hz and that isn't going to work for US spec ML speakers. Most voltage converters will convert the volts but not the frequency.

If is California but no worry, I'm an electrical engineer so converting them (where needed) is not an issue!!! I wouldn't worry to much about the 50 versus 60Hz AC power the build in filter electronics will have no problem coping with that issue. The 110v versus 240 is another issue ;-)

regards,
Rob.

I went from the Aerius to the Ascent, and was blown away at how much better the Ascent is. I'm sure you will be too - much more scale and power to the sound. The bigger panel makes a massive difference for the better. And also there are no bits of plastic stuck on the back of the panel like the Aerius - which I think causes some glare to the sound of the speaker - right where it counts in the mid range. I assume it was placed there to correct frequency response issues with the smaller panel.

If you can find a Descent for a good price, it really helps get a much better overall result from the Ascent. It's a great combo. Enjoy.

If you can find a Descent for a good price, it really helps get a much better overall result from the Ascent. It's a great combo. Enjoy.

Agreed. Also, in my experience, you will get your best sound out of the Ascents by bi-amping them with a tube amp on the panels and a hefty solid state amp on the woofers. This combination, especially when combined with a Descent, will make an incredible system.

Agreed. Also, in my experience, you will get your best sound out of the Ascents by bi-amping them with a tube amp on the panels and a hefty solid state amp on the woofers. This combination, especially when combined with a Descent, will make an incredible system.

I'm just about to try that, actually, Rich. 230 solid state Watts into the Ascent woofers, the 211 monos on the panels, and class Ds in the Descent.

Three different amp technologies in one system:eek:. Mildy insane? Hm...:)

I'm just about to try that, actually, Rich. 230 solid state Watts into the Ascent woofers, the 211 monos on the panels, and class Ds in the Descent.

Three different amp technologies in one system:eek:. Mildy insane? Hm...:)

Well, let us know the outcome of the tests, I also have good experience with bi-amping sub, low and panels using different technology (K8010 tube mono-block for sub, sony amp. for low and tube K4040 for panels).

regards,
Rob.

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts once you have it dialed in. (That was my ML system at one time, although I had 6550's on the panels).

I bi-amped my Ascent i's with a Sunfire amp running current source to the panel and voltage source to the woofer and was quite happy.

E.g. use a Solid State amp to drive the woofer and a tube amp to drive the panel (stator).

regards,
Rob.

sorry for being a noob but I dont understand this...:confused:

You would have to understand that Sunfire amps have two outputs, one is called current source and one is called voltage source. The current source output uses a filter of some sort to give it a little more tube-like sound with slightly rolled off highs, even though it is a solid state amp. By biamping running from the current source to the panels you get a more relaxed tube-like presentation of the highs and mids, but using the voltage source for the woofers, you still get a good solid-state slam for the bass. This is a common setup for ML's with Sunfire amps.

I bi-amped my Ascent i's with a Sunfire amp running current source to the panel and voltage source to the woofer and was quite happy.

Sunfire amps have double speaker outputs. One is labeled voltage source and the other labeled current source. Each has slighly a different sound. You can use both similar to biamping

got it.. its a sunfire thing not something that is standard... now I dont feel so bad! lol

It is a sunfire concept, but not all Sunfire amps have this option. I have a symphonic reference and there are separate voltage and current outputs.

Erik

Latest posts

Back