Bad bug is biting hard!!!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrumpetDoug

Reaction score
Ok guys flame on.

I am getting the bug to try a different speaker. The Anthony Gallo Ref 3.1 with sub amp to be exact. What do you all think? No I can't keep the Ascents also, it will be a trade for not much extra $$$$ on my part (I hope)
So......................bring it on but please only folks that have heard these speakers or can speak to them in some way.

Man this bug is biting hard:think:

Doug - out

Hi Doug I have heard great reports on them. Supposedly easy to drive, huge sweet spot and just plunk them down anywhere. Good Luck D.R.

Duane, and all

I have head them in a store setting and the soundstage is stupid huge.................perhaps to huge that what I'm not sure of. I want to bring them home and give em a try, but I don't want to waste my time either if anyone out there in ML club world has done a shoot- out of sorts and found them lacking in one way or another.
Vertical is killer I know this. Horizontal.......... well that is another story, but I don't care since like most I sit when I'm listening.
Opinions anyone???

Doug - out

I had a chance to listen to some ref 3.1 about a year or so ago at a fellow audiophile's house that live close to me. This particular person was at the time looking to purchase my SL3s or Harbeths (can't remember the model). He invited me over to audition his system after spending some time listening at my home to my SL3s that were for sale.

They were in a smallish room with Cary 805C mono blocks and a Wadia cd player. While I didn't spend a lot of time with them, they did have a nice sound and good imaging. They are surprisingly small as every picture that I've seen seems to make them look a lot bigger. We swapped them out with the Harbeths as he had purchased them already and I actually like the Harbeths better (warmer in the mids).

Again based on my limited listening time, they were nice speakers but didn't have the wow factor for me, at least not enough to give up my MLs.

Last edited:
a trade for not much extra $$$$ on my part (I hope)
I cannot disparage the Gallo's, but if it were my time and money I'd seek to upgrade to the magnetic bearing (CMB) for the Clearaudio turntable.

Review Article:
http://www.dagogo.com/View-Article.asp?hArticle=146

Just one of several CMB sources:
http://www.musicdirect.com/category/241

cmb-bearing.jpg

Give em a listen and see if you like!

Thanks Jeff but have you heard them, or reviewed them? Looking for something more substantial from this great group of audio folk. Making the trip to purchase, swap out speakers and all that comes with this would be fine to do if anyone could tell me of their personal experience one way or another. Perhaps no one has heard these on this board.

Doug - out

Last edited:
I'll swing by Overture Audio in Ann Arbor tomorrow they carry Gallo, don't know about the full line up.

I'll give you my two cents.

In the past they carried the tiny Gallo's up front near the entry door, for people who wanted something Bose-like decor wise but with fair sound.

I have not heard the Ascents, will compare to my Aerius for a standard.

Thanks Jeff but have you heard them, or reviewed them? Looking for something more substantial from this great group of audio folk. Making the trip to purchase, swap out speakers and all that comes with this would be fine to do if anyone could tell me of their personal experience one way or another. Perhaps no one has heard these on this board.

Doug - out

Personally, I don't like them. I've heard them quite a few times and what I don't like is probably one of the things you DO like about the ML's, the coherence from about 300hz up. That's what the Gallow's lack for me. I always feel like I'm listening to a woofer, midrange and a tweeter rather than music.

Just my two cents, but I've heard em on many different amplifiers and have never come away excited enough to even want to review them.

I'm sorry that's a little harsh. That's why I suggested you give them a listen, you might enjoy them!

Back