Your thoughts on the Prodigy

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wardsweb

Reaction score
I have owned and LOVED my CLS for over a decade and will continue to enjoy them forever. Now I am considering picking up a set of Prodigy for another system. I have always loved the looks of the Prodigy and have heard Odysseys. Anyone have an opinion on the Prodigys? Any suggestions or requirements for amplification? I know they can't be as difficult as my CLS.

I believe the Prodigy is one of the most efficient of the older style Martin Logans and should be easier to drive than the CLS. Relatively speaking.

PRODIGY
Sensitivity: 91dB/2.83 volts/meter
Impedance: 4 ohms, 1 @ 20kHz

I've owned the Odysseys and lusted after the Prodigys. They were just too large for my room but I still lust after them.

Last edited:
Anyone have an opinion on the Prodigys?
Sexy as all heck looking.

At a regional get-together they were asleep (flat & lifeless) until the big Krell was cranked darn near all the way up. Then look out, like a bull with horns the sound comes charging out like thunder.

I purchased my Aerius speakers way back when because they sounded good at low and moderate volumes with the Rotel amp I brought to the store.

I have owned and LOVED my CLS for over a decade and will continue to enjoy them forever. Now I am considering picking up a set of Prodigy for another system. I have always loved the looks of the Prodigy and have heard Odysseys. Anyone have an opinion on the Prodigys? Any suggestions or requirements for amplification? I know they can't be as difficult as my CLS.

Hey Luthor, I have listened to James' (Pcar928) system a couple of times and thought the Prodigies sounded and looked great.

Kind of what I expected. Yes, they are large and I have a passion for large speakers. I use to run Voice of the Theater A7's in my living room. Granted they were fully walnut veneered, with full grills and sitting on walnut pedestals. Even my 2-channel vinyl rig speakers are almost four feet tall and are pushing 300 pounds each.

The Prodigy's just seem to fit my style for sound and esthetics.

They need a big amp to bully them around. I have spent many a hr listening to them. They are great speakers. They are big in the rear and need space. They can be had for around $3500 now.

Hello,
Prodigies are fantastic. A friend of mine who previous owned Ascent i's upgraded to Spires. While pleased with the Spires, he felt he was missing something and sold them to purchase Prodigies.

He is beyond pleased with the change. I myself am quite happy with my Vantages and would only switch to get Spires or Summits. I personally like the new generation.
Cheers,
AD

Thanks Steve (Slowgeezer)...I LOVE my Prodigy's! Both the way they sound and the way they look. They are big, but not like the Monolith's are big. You can get them CHEAP these days too!

Good luck with your decision. Oh, I drive mine with a Rotel RB1090...

I have always liked the look of the prodigies they are huge ! I think they where one of the best older model logans

I still think that Prodigies are one of the best-sounding speakers that ML ever made, so long as you have a room that can handle them. They are a steal at the prices they are selling at these days.

I just check Audiogon and some guy wants $7900 + shipping. Seems out of line from what I have researched. I would love to find some in Texas, so I could drive to pick them up. Let me know if anyone hears of something from Dallas/Fort Worth to Houston to San Antonio and all places inbetween.

It's another model I'd love to get to try out someday. I love the big "Easter Island" profile they have to them also.

$7,900.00 is out of line. I have seen Prodigys in very good condition for as low as $3,500.00

About 2-3 months ago a guy roughly 1.5 hours away from me listed and sold his Prodigies for $2800 on Audiogon. I struggled with dipping into my meager savings and jumping on it because it was a hellava deal.

Hello,
At 3500 Dollars, I would purchase used Prodigies over used Vantages every time. At 5000 Dollars, I would go with clear aluminum and Wenge or Rotary Cut Bubinga Summits instead.

With all of that being said, if spending 5k+, I would do my damndest to come up with the money to purchase new Spires. The value of having a warranty should not be underestimated. With my Vantages, I have already received a new pair of panels, free of charge, that I am waiting for the time and courage to install.
Cheers,
ML

I was a long time owner of a pair of pridigys nearly 7 years purchased used on Audiogon in 2002 for $5500. delivered. without a doubt they were the very best speskers that I had ever heard let alone owned. when the origional summit came out I gave them a serious listen while they were very good I didnt think that they had the dynamics of the prodigy I lived very happily with them until a pair of CLX's came along and while they do not have the lowest bass I am completely satisfied with them and expect to keep them for a very long time. You are really sitting in the cat bird seat having CLS's and being able to set up a second system with prodigys. Hopefully you can find a good pair, It will be interesting to find out which system you spend most of your time with.

http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=169

Yes my audio hobby --> passion --> obsession --> lunacy passed justifiable for many people years ago. To tell the truth it only takes saving your nickels and a lot of patience waiting for the right deal. Then again once you have a good base, barter and trades should never be under estimated. Not having to buy anything gives you the advantages of passing on gear. Often times the seller needs to sell worse than I need to buy. Come to think of it, I guess I never need to buy...its a want thing. The two are mutually exclusive. It also helps to focus on one obession. I've sold off my scuba gear, my motorcycles, and finally quit modding my cars. Then when the kids were gone, it was amazing how that freed up funds. I'm just having fun and enjoying living a life that only my kids and wife use to have.

Last edited:
Back