In-Wall Speaker Wire

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niko

Reaction score
I'm looking for some decent speaker wire for a pair of Montages (for rear surround duty), it would be nice to conceal the wires in the walls. Anyone have any experiences or recommendations? The wiring will probably travel about 30' through the walls and ceiling.

I'm looking for some decent speaker wire for a pair of Montages (for rear surround duty), it would be nice to conceal the wires in the walls. Anyone have any experiences or recommendations? The wiring will probably travel about 30' through the walls and ceiling.

12-gauge but make sure it has a CL-3 certification to go in between walls.

I use Audioquest 144 CL-3 for mine (14 gauge, 4 conductor), although I only use 2 conductors per speaker. Its fine, sounds better than the 12 gauge monster wire I had laying around. Remember, although thickness is important the grade of the wire matters more, although for rears almost anything better than the Radio Shack brand stuff will do.

Both CL-2 and CL-3 are OK for speaker and interconnect cables. The small difference between CL-2 and CL-3 is maximum allowable voltage. There are other acceptable cable ratings, but I don't think that we will see any cables with these other rating symbols.

I use (and many others here would recommend) the in-wall offering from blue jeans cable at bluejeanscable.com. Very nice price by the foot and the inner conductors are few / very thick (not like normal monster / radioshack / etc speaker wire). I believe I ran a 12 guage to my vignettes.

I use "Furez" (from Germany) in-wall speaker cable from "av-outlet.com".
I chose the 12AWG and they run 50ft each for a pair of Script i (surround speakers). They have a 10AWG version also. They are fantastic cables for in-wall/long runs.

So I checked out that Furez wire and I really like it. I'm ready to pull the trigger on about 150' or so (need only 100 but it's good to have more).
How did you go about bringing the wiring from the amp to the speakers? i.e. did you finish them off on wall plates with connectors? Any details will be appreciated.
From wall plates to spades to bananas to the speaker, etc.? I figure the less connections the better so if anyone has any more advice on this please chime in.:cheers:

So I checked out that Furez wire and I really like it. I'm ready to pull the trigger on about 150' or so (need only 100 but it's good to have more).
How did you go about bringing the wiring from the amp to the speakers? i.e. did you finish them off on wall plates with connectors? Any details will be appreciated.
From wall plates to spades to bananas to the speaker, etc.? I figure the less connections the better so if anyone has any more advice on this please chime in.:cheers:

I passed them through the wall (what a pain it was). One pair (one cable per speaker) of 50' run. I don't use wall plates. The cables are directly connected to the speakers and the receiver. The speakers are a pair of Script i (suround). I use spades for the speaker side and Bannana for the receiver side.

Use a standard box, attached to a stud, that allows for a wall plate mount. They make them with a single hole. Looks very clean and professional.

When you move or you don't need the wire anymore, replace with a solid plate.

Back