Singing electronics?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter_Klim

Reaction score
I'm replacing the power supplies to my Sequel 2 plus the woofers and panels tonight.

A few weeks ago I ordered it all and then started taking out the woofers so that there would be less work to do once the new ones arrive. But before they arrived i had some friends come over and they wanted to see a movie so I put the woofers back in - one speaker had no woofer sound. I wondered if it always was like that but I doubted. I hooked up the woofer straight to the amp and got sound, so then I was thinking: "great, I need to replace the X-overs too!!"

So I took out the metal box that houses it and the X-over and before I put it back in I wanted to check to see what may be causing the woofer to not work. So I hooked up an amp to the unit that the x-over and pwr supply sits in (now outside of the speaker cabinet) and then hooked up the woofer to the x-over output on the circuit board - I got sound - good news. Then I hooked up the woofer to the amp (at the X-over input on the outside of the metal box like you would when the speakers are all put together) and it sounded louder because I bypassed the x-over - this is expected. But what I was not expecting is that after I disconnected the woofer I was heared a scratchy sound...I got closer to the metal box..I thought it was maybe some electical noise from the caps & transformers...but then i realized it was the actual music from my CD player! I could make out the lyrics and the music. WTFrench?

I was afraid I might break something in there so i turned off the system. Is this normal - to hear music from electronics that have no speakers attached to them?

Last edited:
But what I was not expecting is that after I disconnected the woofer I was heared a scratchy sound...I got closer to the metal box..I thought it was maybe some electical noise from the caps & transformers...but then i realized it was the actual music from my CD player! I could make out the lyrics and the music. WTFrench?

I was afraid I might break something in there so i turned off the system. Is this normal - to hear music from electronics that have no speakers attached to them?

Hi Peter,
I must admit it looks like you've taken microphony (or rather the inverse of microphony) to a whole new level! :D. I take it you mean the analogue section of your CD player ? Is there a headphone socket on your player with any 'phones attached ?

Kind regards,
Victor.

Hi Victor,

No headphones are attached. But I do have a photo attached to explain! You can see the woofer on the bottom left, the x-over/power supply just above it and the system it is hooked up to is way up to the upper right. The music is definitely being heard from the x-over/power supply.

Attachments

• edIMG_2578.jpg
    edIMG_2578.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 224
Hi Victor,

No headphones are attached. But I do have a photo attached to explain! You can see the woofer on the bottom left, the x-over/power supply just above it and the system it is hooked up to is way up to the upper right. The music is definitely being heard from the x-over/power supply.

Hi Peter,
Stats are little more than capacitors themselves with moving dielectric, and both caps and inductors deploy electrical fields which are capable of displacement, so yes, I think you are probably hearing a genuine phenomenon. Now all you need is a larger amp and you can dispense with the Panels altogether :D:D:D
Kind regards......................Victor.

Be careful not to use the electronics wo the panel ..., what you hear is the transformer and which in this occation has no load, thus the entire ESL freq. are dissapated in the primary winding of the transformer.

Back