CLS in bay area? Audition in exchange for beer or wine

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leed

Reaction score
Hi:

Is there anyone in the San Francisco Bay Area who owns CLS (any vintage)?
I am trying to decide on which MLs to purchase.
There are currently no CLS's on the market here (at least none that I have seen in the usual sources).
I have owned Sequel II's in the past and am going to audition some Quests that are for sale.

I am willing to exchange beer or wine for a 10 minute listening session.

I showed my wife a picture of the CLS's this morning and she was ok with them.
I am so blessed with such a cool wife.
I think our living/dining room combo is large enough to properly support these speakers (though I can only push them out about 30" from the back wall).

Anyway, I am located in Scotts Valley (Santa Cruz) and like to drive. My schedule is open (anybody looking for a product manager)?

Thanks in advance!
Regards,
Lee

CLSs

If you are able to drive out to Jerusalem,Israel,I could let you hear my CLSs for 2 pastrami sandwiches.
Seriously,this is a no brainer-but you will need an amp with lots of current,top notch source and cables,and a fast subwoofer.

I agree with Raanan, it is a no brainer... CLS are amazing if you can find a pair with new panels you will not be disappointed.

Raanan, Jeff - thanks for the offers to listen to your speakers.
Israel & SoCal are quite far from me though.

Mosttoysrk - I believe you! I would like to listen a set of CLS's (any set) before I buy a set (probably have them shipped sight unseen/unheard).

So, alcohol has not enticed local bay area poeple yet for an audition.
How about a pound of some wonderful Indonesian coffee roasted on Sept 29 (the coffee is at its peak right now). There is an awesome coffee roasting place in Scotts Valley called Coffee Cat. I have the Sumatra Tabu Jamu coffee sitting in front of me. Incredibly smooth. Any takers in exchange for a quick audition?

Regards,
Lee

I'd take you up on that offer. Unfortunately, I'm 2500 miles away. Wine is fine but you can get that anywhere. Gourmet coffee is hard to come by and that roast sounds nice. You don't find that level of coffee around here. Thanks to Starbucks taking over the industry.

I've found the reviews of CLS to be pretty accurate but very out of date. And by that I mean, those reviews are about 20 years old. Amplifiers and subwoofers have improved significantly since those days and so has the selection. The reveling nature of the CLS benefits from more refined gear. There are some very good subs available these days that are able to integrate very well with these panels. We're also a little smarter when it comes to acoustically treating a room and that certainly helps. On the other hand, there are also much nicer speakers available today but the CLS still competes beyond its price range.

Didn't Tonepub do a brief comparison of the CLS vs the CLX ? Of course there is a difference but there is also a slight difference in price. :eek: There aren't many speakers that one would even consider comparing to a CLX. Is the CLS a poor man's CLX ? Maybe. I'd take a CLX over the CLS any day but until I'm ready to make that commitment the CLS will have to do.

I can make a recording of my CLS and send you a file. But then you'd get the impression that they sound like computer speakers. :eek:
Look me up whenever you visit the other Bay area...Tampa Bay.

Last edited:
Back