CLX with tube amps

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So when one introduces a sub, is the presentation still from the same cloth, or can one hear the subs if they are in an analytical vs. emotional state of mind?

I've felt the integration with the three subs I've tried has been excellent, and would have been perfectly happy with the Descents, had I not heard the Depths. For me, that's the perfect CLX combination! (and I own the other two...) Best balance of bass output and seamless match.

I've felt the integration with the three subs I've tried has been excellent, and would have been perfectly happy with the Descents, had I not heard the Depths. For me, that's the perfect CLX combination! (and I own the other two...) Best balance of bass output and seamless match.

very interesting jeff ... do you think it is because the depth may not put out as much bass - and hence would make the integration seem...uh...more seamless?

I just think the 8" drivers are a little faster than the 10"s... Slightly better in the midbass.

And again, I'm being super picky. Any of those three are excellent choices.

well i pulled the trigger today on the clx, should be here in some months, with shipping & all.

thanks for the replies, initially i will run them with my 2 old belcanto evo's in monoblock mode but am going to take a risk and put in for the mcintosh mc2301s after i get them. no way to demo those so thats going to be a big leap of faith. am still dithering about whether to add in 2 descent i.

i took my wife to the listening session, she's usually happy with her tinny laptop speakers but this time she paid attention, called them "eerie" in their realism and i think now wants them as much as i do. i've been on the hunt for an odyssey replacement for some years now, the summit never appealed to me (something missing in the mids, and the low end slam was too b&w like) but the clx was love on first listen.

now for a rant - as a long time ML owner (currently odyssey's & aerius i) i lurk here occasionally. there is some really useful info here but it would help if simple queries (eg have you heard or do you own) do not turn into off tangent musings about the cost of amplifiers in proportion to speakers etc. sorry dan, no offence intended but its nice when things stay simple and on topic

Sorry to go off on one. Anyway on to subwoofers. The Descent i is a good option. The CLX's are lightning fast sounding speakers so finding a good sub that can keep up with them is a priority. The Descent goes down pretty low in the bass, down to 18Hz I believe, all for the price of $2700. Another option if you want the same speed from a sub but even lower bass is the REL Subwoofer range. Also there is a company called SVS which makes an awesome subwoofer called the SVS PC13-Ultra. This baby digs all the way down to 10Hz in the bass!!, all for the bargain price of $1400. I've heard this baby in action and I can confirm it's in the same league as the CLX. Check the reviews scattered all over the net. One magazine even uses this as their reference subwoofer.

I think that pairing the CLX with anything other than a logan sub would not be a good idea they make some of the most musical subs I have ever heard.I just have one question when you heard the SVS was it paired with any Logans or was it with a different speaker because I have found that the electro stats are so transparent and fast that it is easy to hear the integration point with slower subs.I really have never liked the idea of mixing brands anyway though.

Forget about the REL or the SVS with the CLX. Too slow.

You just bought a world class speaker, so you have to get subs that will keep pace.

So ur saying that Martin Logan subwoofers are faster than REL and SVS Subwoofers? I can guarantee you that a REL Stentor 2 is just as fast as an ML Descent i. I may be wrong though. I've personally used the Stentor 2 with my CLS IIz's and it kept time beautifully. I'm not 100% sure about the SVS, I've heard it with B&W speakers, not with Martin Logans.

Last edited:
I agree that the lower end of the REL range are slow subwoofers. Like for example the REL Storm 5, now that is too slow for electrostats.

besides the SVS stuff is ugly compared to the logan gear why would you even want it if you where going to buy a pair of CLX speakers ???

amps & subs

the clxs are going to be strictly for 2 channel use, i've got another room for the crash-boom-bang stuff. just added an order for 2 descent i so that should be an interesting total combo when it arrives.

as for tube amps, i decided to email mcintosh and got an interesting reply which i thought i'd share. seems like the combo has been used by ML themselves in a show (see below)

-----

Check out this video of the Martin Logan booth at this years Cedia
convention, note about one min into the video where Pete shows the CLX
speaker and mentions that it is connected to the McIntosh MC2301
amplifier.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/292770/cedia-2009-video-pod
cast-martin-logan

Connected to the MC2301 4-ohm connections, the 6-ohm CLX will receive
exactly it's rated power of 225 watts.

Chuck Hinton of McIntosh & Snell Tech Support

I like the "McIntosh CLX" with the aluminum upright and black top. I wonder if that is available to mere mortals?

Gordon

Check out this video of the Martin Logan booth at this years Cedia convention, note about one min into the video where Pete shows the CLX speaker and mentions that it is connected to the McIntosh MC2301 amplifier.

Ah Pete - he was at Silverstone 2009 and London 2008. And a great rep he is too:)

As was stated before you have to get a state of the art amp for these state of the art speakers (also a preamp, a source and to some degree, cabling)

Having said that, take some time and listen to your system. If you are content, don't buy anything. If you are not, get the best that you can afford. Of course, your ears (and only your ears) have to decide what is best.

I like the "McIntosh CLX" with the aluminum upright and black top. I wonder if that is available to mere mortals?

Gordon

All AMERICAN IS ALL GOOD ! eventually when I change my TT my analog system will be all from the good old U.S.A from the start to the finish.and no mere mortals can not easily lay hands on that combo lol

Latest posts

Back