CLX with tube amps

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSingh

Reaction score
Is there anyone here running CLX with tube amps? If so which ones, how much power etc. Alternatively has anyone heard the CLX with tubes?

I've had decent luck with the Prima Luna DiaLogue 8's on the 2 ohm tap and the Bat VK55se and 75 se on the 3 ohm tap.

Also, the Manley 250's...

Not terribly good luck (rolled off highs) with ARC VT100, McIntosh MC275 (same thing).

It's really a case by case thing...

The CLX's are 'State Of The Art' speakers (as good as it gets for sound quality). So it would be criminal and illogical to partner with any amp less than 'State Of The Art' also. The CLX's are $20,000 US DOLLARS approximately loudspeakers, so there will be a mismatch in combining them with $5,000 or so priced amplifiers. If you do this you won't be hearing them at anywhere near their best. At the very least you should use them with $10,000 to $12,000 amps. The very least you should partner them with is something like a pair of Conrad Johnson Premier 8A's monoblock tube power amplifiers, for example (140 WATTS per channel). These can be had on the used market for as little as $6,000 now. These babies are or near 'State Of The Art' also, and will make a 'made in heaven' match with the CLX's.

Last edited:
TAS' Jonothan Valin has reportedly had good results driving the CLX with a pair of ARC Reference 610Ts. Mind you, at roughly $40K the pair, I'd expect nothing less!

The CLX's are $20,000 US DOLLARS approximately loudspeakers, so there will be a mismatch in combining them with $5,000 or so priced amplifiers. If you do this you won't be hearing them at anywhere near their best. At the very least you should use them with $10,000 to $12,000 amps.

Another 'general' statement that I don't buy into.

remember this, and we've spoken about this many times, just assuming to spend the amounts "you mention" without also "mentioning" the importance of room interaction (acoustics) one will never hear the full potential as you say.

I wish I had a pair of CLXs to be able to give direct experiences from, but if Roy Gregory says our dpa300B is a perfect match, then I will go along with him. It certainly drives my highly modified Acoustat Spectra 11's perfectly, including its new, passively crossovered Linkwitz subwoofer.

And if you want more power, then our dpa150 will drive anything on the audiophile market - it was tested on Apogee Scintillas at one ohm, and was brillant.

Regards, Allen (Vacuum State)

Dave,
room interaction taken into account as much as you like, a $5,000 power amplifier will never sound as transparent as a decent $20,000 amp.

I did a side by side comparison with my mc275 to the mc2301 monos with the clx at DaVinci media. the mc2301 monos definatly out performed my mc275 it just did not have the horseppower needed but to say that a more expensive amp will always sound more transparent than a more less expensive on is just stupid to me even at a 4-1 ratio. thats like saying a more expensive pre-pro will always sound cleaner and better than a cheaper one and I know that that is also completely wrong.once again I would highly recomend anybody looking for clx or high end gear to buy it from shawn at DaVinci media if you are at all close to hime you would be stupid not to give him a shot first.

I didn't say all $20,000 amps are better than $5,000 amps. I was referring to a proper decent $20,000 power amp like for example the Dartzeel NHB-108 model One power amp. Now you tell me of any $5,000 power amp that is more transparent and accurate sounding than that amplifier and I'll eat my words. I've heard it in person and I can tell you that it is one of the most accurate sounding amplifiers in the world bar none. Check the awesome reviews of it on the web for further proof. Funnily enough I've heard it with CLX's.

Last edited:
I didn't say all $20,000 amps are better than $5,000 amps. I was referring to a proper decent $20,000 power amp like for example the Dartzeel NHB-108 model One power amp. Now you tell me of any $5,000 power amp that is more transparent and accurate sounding than that amplifier and I'll eat my words. I've heard it in person and I can tell you that it is one of the most accurate sounding amplifiers in the world bar none. Check the awesome reviews of it on the web for further proof. Funnily enough I've heard it with CLX's.

what is the moral to this story???

Moral is 'more money can buy you more performance'. Not always but it is a possibility :D

Last edited:
I've had decent luck with the Prima Luna DiaLogue 8's on the 2 ohm tap and the Bat VK55se and 75 se on the 3 ohm tap.

Also, the Manley 250's...

Not terribly good luck (rolled off highs) with ARC VT100, McIntosh MC275 (same thing).

It's really a case by case thing...

Jeff, were you able to try them with ARC Ref 110 and how was that match?

pulled the trigger

well i pulled the trigger today on the clx, should be here in some months, with shipping & all.

thanks for the replies, initially i will run them with my 2 old belcanto evo's in monoblock mode but am going to take a risk and put in for the mcintosh mc2301s after i get them. no way to demo those so thats going to be a big leap of faith. am still dithering about whether to add in 2 descent i.

i took my wife to the listening session, she's usually happy with her tinny laptop speakers but this time she paid attention, called them "eerie" in their realism and i think now wants them as much as i do. i've been on the hunt for an odyssey replacement for some years now, the summit never appealed to me (something missing in the mids, and the low end slam was too b&w like) but the clx was love on first listen.

now for a rant - as a long time ML owner (currently odyssey's & aerius i) i lurk here occasionally. there is some really useful info here but it would help if simple queries (eg have you heard or do you own) do not turn into off tangent musings about the cost of amplifiers in proportion to speakers etc. sorry dan, no offence intended but its nice when things stay simple and on topic

Last edited:
now for a rant - as a long time ML owner (currently odyssey's & aerius i) i lurk here occasionally. there is some really useful info here but it would help if simple queries (eg have you heard or do you own) do not turn into off tangent musings about the cost of amplifiers in proportion to speakers etc. sorry dan, no offence intended but its nice when things stay simple and on topic

Such is the nature of audiophile discourse... *Shrug*

But back on topic, let us know when your CLXes arrive! What finish did you opt for?

Hallelujah - geeks MC2301 video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89TFUkZT-tU

If you value deep bass, I'd get the Descents. Almost goes without saying, I suppose. One thing I find with my Descent switched on is that it gives the overall sound a much fuller, rounded balance, and seems to make sounds above it's operating frequency sound smoother. I wouldn't be without one, at least with Ascents (similar to your Odysseys, though they have better bass).

From what I heard of the CLX, they do sound great without a sub, but they really are genuinely missing deep bass. However, I can't comment on how well the Descents blend in reality. Some will be happy with the blend, I am sure, others less so...

I guess one way to make a decision is to think about what sort of music you listen to and whether it has much in the way of bass output.

Given your overall level of financial committment, I'd get them. You can always sell them if you don't like them - it's only going to cost you around the price of a Descent anyway, which isn't too much, really.

Last edited:
when I heard the CLX with those amps they did seem to need some subs. shawn did not have his double descent i subs hooked up and I was in a bit of a hurry that day But I am sure they would have helped complete the spectrum of sound.

As someone who has a pair of Descent i's and a pair of JL F110's, I'd say it depends on just how deep you need to go and what your space is like.

The Descent's take a fair amount of room, to integrate with the CLX's properly, but they do an excellent job. I ended up preferring the JL F110's only because they work better in my space, yet still go down to about 25hz comfortably.

I've recently heard a friends system that has similar amplification and he's using a pair of Depth i's with his CLX's and that's been my favorite combination. Just slightly less deep, deep bass, but faster and integrates better than the descents.

Will you be using your CLX's as part of a home theater setup, listening to music part time, or strictly in a 2ch system? If I were the hifi salesman, and you were just listening to 2ch, I'd push you towards a pair of Depth i's. That's the nicest combination I've heard yet with the CLX....

Back