Are CLS speakers a match with SS BAT amps?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dchazen

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with using solid state Balanced Audio Technology solid state amplifiers, such as the VK 600SE, with Martin Logan CLS speakers? I am also considering the Pass Labs amps and the Atlas amp from Aesthetix. I would appreciate hearing opinions and thoughts about which amps I should consider. I am staying away from tube amps because they lack definition in the bass, produce too much heat, and cost too much to maintain.

I've never had the pleasure of hearing BAT amps, but there are several others that will chime in... MiTT?

Pass Labs mate well with MLs... several people here, including myself, have and LOVE them.:music:

I'd say most definitely! I'm driving my CLS IIz's with a BAT VK-6200 and I'm a very happy camper.

Other than the heat part (that's the reason I parted with my old Rogue M-120's), I'd debate the last sentence of your post though. Tubes sound awesome with the CLS!

BTW - the Aesthetix Atlas amps are SS/Tube Hybrids.

Attachments

• System0309-02.jpg
    System0309-02.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 812
Last edited:
Has anyone had any experience with using solid state Balanced Audio Technology solid state amplifiers, such as the VK 600SE, with Martin Logan CLS speakers? I am also considering the Pass Labs amps and the Atlas amp from Aesthetix. I would appreciate hearing opinions and thoughts about which amps I should consider. I am staying away from tube amps because they lack definition in the bass, produce too much heat, and cost too much to maintain.

That's an awesome amp. I see no problem with that combination and would expect it to be a great match with CLS. On the other hand, I used a few tube amps and have found them to be quite good on bass, and cost of tubes not to be that big a deal (tube type depending).

As far as heat goes, the hottest running amp I ever had was solid state. Tube amp heat is not big deal and I live in Florida. Just don't touch the tubes themselves and don't touch incandescent light bulbs.

I am staying away from tube amps because they lack definition in the bass, produce too much heat, and cost too much to maintain.

As a 'general' statement this is not necessarily true ! Regardless I think the amps you mentioned would perform superbly with your CLS's. I would also add Plinius to that list, Dan (DTB300) has an SA-102 doing a great job driving his CLS's.

Is any of these amps any good for CLS: Sunfire Cinema Grand(5 channel), Acurus 200x3 (3 channel) or Emotiva XPA2?

Back