If you have $1500 for used MLs - what would you get?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leed

Reaction score
Hi:

I am in the market for a used set of MLs.
I am a former owner of Sequel IIs.

My amp is a Sunfire 300x2 (happy at low impedances) - thanks to the advice from this forum. I just picked it up this week at Audiogon.

My room is 15x20x15 (cathedral ceiling) - its quite bright.

In this price range I have a choice of Quests, Aeons & CLS.
I am leaning toward Quests.
Others I should consider. BTW, the Source is not a consideration.

I would love to hear your thoughts.
I am trying to audition each.

Any tips on how to figure out if the panels are nearing the end of their life - when I look at a used set of MLs? My concern is buying a set of Quests with original panels and having to shortly pay out $900 for new panels.
BTW, I had to replace the panels on my Sequel IIs.

Thanks for any advice,
Lee

I've seen Ascents in that price range too. There are 3 sets between $1400-$1520 on Agon now.

Last edited:
The CLS would be my choice, When I owned, Prodigys I was seriously considering a pair of CLS's after hearing CAP's setup something truly amazing about a single panel speaker. All ML's are very relieving of your upstream components.

I would look for a Monolith IIIp. I have seen these for as low as $1,500.00 to 2K. My second choice would be a CLS.

Last edited:
Hello,
CLS would be a slam dunk. However, the recent increase in CLS panel prices coupled with the age of CLS's in that range, warrant the newest pair possible and or ones that have had their panels replaced. Otherwise, those 1500 Dollar speakers become almost 3 thousand Dollar speakers in a hurry with CLS replacement panels costing 1500 Dollars.
Cheers,
ML

Last edited:
Listen to a pair of the CLS's.

I find nearfield listening to be like a giant pair of headphones with no real drive or meat on the bones to the sound. It's just "too open" for me, I like the hybrids better - I am the odd man out here, don't mean to offend the purist.

Maybe with lots of power and sitting farther back they can rock, but I have not had a chance to experience this.

I'm in the CLS camp. Once I listened to them I just had to have them. Went on a quest for a year and a half to find the perfect pair. They're everything that my ReQuests were and then some. I haven't looked back. The only thing I'd consider replacing them with in the ML line is the CLX.

If it were me, I'd get a pair of CLS and then be prepared to repanel them.

Since your budget won't allow for a new set of panels, I'd get a pair of Ascents. Like Kruppy said, there are several used pairs on the 'Gon right now within your budget.

I've heard a pair of Ascents driven by some high end McIntosh amps and they were very very nice!! :music:

If it were me, I'd get a pair of CLS and then be prepared to repanel them.

Since your budget won't allow for a new set of panels, I'd get a pair of Ascents. Like Kruppy said, there are several used pairs on the 'Gon right now within your budget.

I've heard a pair of Ascents driven by some high end McIntosh amps and they were very very nice!! :music:

Wasn't Myke Singer selling a pair of CLS for about 1800 with pretty darn new panels and electronics? darn close to budget and a spanking deal.

That's a very good amp and matches up great with just about any Martin Logan.

I would consider the space you have for speakers. The CLS is an excellent choice even if you ended up having to pay an additional $1500 for new panels. Because of todays' panel prices they are not as cheap as they used to be but still an awesome sounding speaker at that price. The CLS requires a wide berth in regards to speaker placement. You may want to add a sub with the CLS but don't overdo it with bass.

The Ascents are another incredible value at their current market used prices and are more full range sounding with the classic ML sound that some prefer over the newer models.

The Aeon's are very capable but with a small sweetspot. Very good for smaller rooms.

Hi everyone:

First - thanks for all your responses!

A few observations:

1. I am surprised to see so many people recommend CLS's (considering what I have read about how tricky they are to setup). I have never heard them live - anybody in the Bay area willing to give me an audition in exchange for a case of beer or bottle of wine (I live in Santa Cruz and am willing to drive several hours for an audition).

2. I am also surprised that nobody thought Quests were a good option. I am going to audition some Quest Z's in a few days. Are there issues with Quests?

3. I have corresponded with Mike Singer about his CLS's. It looks like it would cost $250 to ship them to California (putting the final cost over $2K). I need to first listed to some CLS's before I can talk to Mike again.

4. Thanks to advice from this forum, I bought the Sunfire amp on Audiogon last week. This amp was serviced & signed by Bob Carver. It arrives tomorrow by UPS. Thanks for the good advice team!

This is a great, lively discussion. Please keep your ideas coming! I appreciate all the support for this newbie!

BTW, any advice on how to determine if a panel is ok or not?

Regards,
Lee

Hi everyone:

First - thanks for all your responses!

A few observations:

1. I am surprised to see so many people recommend CLS's (considering what I have read about how tricky they are to setup). I have never heard them live ....

2. I am also surprised that nobody thought Quests were a good option. I am going to audition some Quest Z's in a few days. Are there issues with Quests?

Lee

You have the space for the CLS, looking at your room dimensions only. I have owned the Ascents. I have heard the Quests, SL3's, and many older models many times - the differences are like a kiddy pool vs. an olympic pool. If you are going for an older model, the CLS is in a league of it's own. (For full disclosure, I do like the Summit and later models better than the CLS, but you might prefer the CLS.)

Look for a post by CAP to get your setup nailed nailed to the last 1/4 of an inch, and / or start a new thread when you get them. Also a book by Jim Smith - Get Better sound has great setup tips.

Hi Lee,

I've had the CLS2A's and loved them.

My only word of caution, given your room size, is the type of music you play and your desired volume level.

If you like rock or other music types that are somewhat bass prone and want volume in the 90+ db range, I'd look elsewhere.

GG

Lee, one thing that became abundantly clear at RMAF this year, is that everyone hears speakers/music differently. A system that absolutely impressed some, was only ok or good for someone else. Is there any way you can audition any of your choices? I wouldn't rely too much on what others say, you could end up dissapointed.

Back