New CLS Frames

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally came up with some reasonable pics of them set up.

A couple of things I forgot to include.

During the assembly I used Dyna Mat ( a rubber sound & vibration dampening sheet material) to wrap the edges of the panels before fitting them into the vertical frame members to be sure there wouldn't be metal against wood. I also used the Dyna Mat between the flat mounting plate and the wood on the braces.

The wiring from the panel to the electronics is covered in black Tech Flex mesh with heat shrink tubing at the ends. You can see it in the picture of the back in the left corner where the panel meets the frame.

The electronics box is now setting on 3 Herbie's vibration blocks behind the panel.

I am still making adjustments in their position but my impression to this point is that the frame with the braces did make a difference in not only seeming to fix the image of sounds more precisely but noticeably added depth to the staging.
The center image was to intense and I reduced the toe-in from 2" to maybe 1/2". I am very pleased with the improvement and will continue to make adjustments to see if they can be improved more.

Thanks for all of your kind comments.

Attachments

• Finished CLS's 002 (Medium).jpg
    Finished CLS's 002 (Medium).jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 770
  • Finished CLS's 025 (Medium).jpg
    Finished CLS's 025 (Medium).jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 766
  • Finished CLS 3 033 (Medium).jpg
    Finished CLS 3 033 (Medium).jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 767
  • Finished CLS 3 021 (Medium).jpg
    Finished CLS 3 021 (Medium).jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 766
Brad, I can't believe I missed this thread (it happened during my first startup, so no free time), this is a great project, well done!

It totally transforms the look of the CLS panel, making it a much more attractive speaker IMHO.

I would that these perform much better than traditional CLS.

Whomever winds up with these will have gotten the deal of the century, there is lots of loving handiwork in those frames. I'm tempted, as they would make nice rears ;)

I'm waiting for the CLX frame upgrade. May take a year or two before it happens, though, I'm sure.:ROFL:

Brad, I can't believe I missed this thread (it happened during my first startup, so no free time), this is a great project, well done!

It totally transforms the look of the CLS panel, making it a much more attractive speaker IMHO.

I would that these perform much better than traditional CLS.

Whomever winds up with these will have gotten the deal of the century, there is lots of loving handiwork in those frames. I'm tempted, as they would make nice rears ;)

Thanks Jonathan, I appreciate that, from someone that knows what it takes to begin with some parts and create something entirely new.

Nope I haven't Bernard. Neolith is the most recent one I have heard. I posted quite a bit about that as you may remember.

Justin, how does the CLX compare with the Renaissance (which I'm assuming you have heard)?

I listened to the CLX at Shawn's clients and then the Renaissance shortly after. The CLX was probably 20% better, based on the sound I heard. I suspect in my room, possibly more.

Hola Brad...just thinking, the clue is speed and harmonic texture. Clean sound coming from my CLXs.

I am now with DSD format, and using the HQPlayer by Signalyst its a lot of fun. You can convert the PCM uncompressed signal, in any format to DSD, in other words, no MP3, but AIFF yes, with my Mac Mini, and my Exasound DAC, and the overall sound is wonderful. From PCM 44.1KHz 16bit to DSD 5.6M 24bit and you can tell a difference for good. Every friend that had listen the DSD format, confirm my appreciation.
I understand that there are companies that denies the advantage of DSD and they keep their DACs with PCM only. Anthem is one of them, and also Bel Canto. Audio Research were doing only PCM, and now the latest model is DSD capable.

Getting back with the CLXs, if this not too much to ask, please report your finding! I truly believe that the CLXs are very difficult to knock out. Its very easy to listen the nuances of the music, the communication with the musicians while are playing, and what the recording engineer did. There are wonderful recordings out there, where the soul of the musicians is evident.

Congratulations for your new toy!

Happy listening to all!

I wish that I could be near you to help you out with this...but my heart is telling me that you are going to be a very happy listener...

Happy listening!

Wow! Very nice looking speaker. Incredible job, and a well thought out design. I would love to know more about the performance.
I love the sound of the big stat panel. Wish ML would go back to making a mid-level speaker with a large panel on par with the reQuest, CLS, and Monolith. Keeping with the sub-$10k price tag as well. One can dream...

Dan

That's very impressive, look much better than the original.

I'm sure it's been asked and I may have missed the reply but where do the lower metal panels come from.

Most likely the frame width was designed to support the low end cutoff. I bet it is 1/4 wavelength of that frequency. (I do realize this thread is from the dark ages but I had to add my two cents)

Back