ML set up pros...question about side walls

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveneumann

Reaction score
I am in the process of setting up my Spires into my finished basement. The main room measures 20' wide X 36' long with a 9' ceiling. Along the front wall (behind the speakers) is a set of bookcases that takes up most of the 20' wall.

My primary question at this point is how important is equal distance from the side walls? The bookcases are a little off center so that when I center the speakers with the bookcases, one speaker is 65" from the side wall and the other speaker is 67" from the other side wall. With the speakers being that far from each side wall, does exact equal distance matter?

I learned the importance of being exact with set-up in my smaller upstairs room. So I will ensure equal distance from the front wall, equal distance from the listening chair, equal rake and toe-in, etc. The only thing I can't get right is the distance from the side walls.

Last night was my first night of set up it will obviously take a lot more time to get things dialed in. So far I have them 80" from the front wall and 90" apart (measured from the center of each panel). My listening chair is about 115" inches from each speaker.

Once I get things closer to final I'll post some pictures. But I'd appreciate your advice on the side wall distances.

Thanks!

You shouldn't have any problems with those side wall measurments. You are fortunate to have a room that size, many people don't have 65"-67" behind their speakers let alone to the side. This is clearly a case of room envy.
The way I understand it is the side walls aren't as large a problem with ELS's as with other speakers because of the 30 degree dispertion pattern. That doesn't mean you shouldn't use some accoustic panels on the sides though.
Let us know how it sounds compared to the smaller room you were use to. I am sure it will be like having new equipment .

Personally, I like being a little off on the sidewall measurement, but that may just be my room.

What I've found to be the critical dimensions with ML setup have been the rake angle, distance to back wall and distance from the speakers to my ears.

Back