Power Cord for Purity

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niko

Reaction score
Does anyone know if I can use any standard power cord for my Purity Speakers? To make a long story short...I just acquired a nice used set of Purity's and the guy forgot to pack the power cords:mad:
In the meantime I want to find some cables that will work and all I can scrounge up is some computer power cords that seem to look like they would fit except the Logans only require a 2-prong cord. The ones I have are 3-prong but I don't see why they wouldn't work. Any thoughts on this?

Niko,

I have some spare power cords. they should be fine with the purity's. If you want it you could pick it up. I'm here im Modesto. PM me i'll give you my address.

Mike

Thanks for the kind offer, Mike.
I really appreciate it.:bowdown:

Someone gave me a couple of nice looking power cords that should be OK - although they still have the 3rd (grounding) prong unlike the factory Logan ones. We'll see how they fit when I get home. I'll probably shoot you a PM if they don't work out.

I use a pair of Chord Power cords with my Puritys (before that Transparent HPPL) both 3 prongs and both worked just fine. However the Chords seem to give a bit more slam in the bass.

Wait...are MLs not supposed to have the 3rd prong?

My set came with 3rd prong missing...I had assumed a previous owner cut them off cuz he didn't have a 3 prong extension or something like that.

My purity's do not have a 3rd prong.

I've been looking into these power cords: http://signalcable.com/digitalpowerHC.html

What do you think of them? I find it hard to shell out any extra $$ for just power cords but these seem more reasonable than some of the astronomically high priced ones when my mortal ears wouldn't hear the difference.
I've switched to some thicker (and hopefully better shielded) freebies today, we shall see if it improves things.

Members here use Signal Cables and are very happy with them. I'm sure those will be fine.
If you have the opportunity in the future to audition more expensive cables you will know if it makes a difference in your system.
If you do please share it with us.

Thanks for the reply, Brad.
Makes me feel better hearing that others on this forum like products from this company.
I'll definitely report back on my experiences.

Another excellent power cord for the Purities that is not expensive is the Shunyata Venom. $99 each and work wonders.

I just replaced my power cables with those I had lying around for a PC. They were thicker than the ML missing-prong ones I had.

I would think they would work fine as the wiring in the house is either 14 guage (15 amp circuit) or 12 guage (20 amp circuit).

Any common computer type power cord will work. Not the best quality, but it will work.

Another excellent power cord for the Purities that is not expensive is the Shunyata Venom. $99 each and work wonders.
I have had the Signal Cable Power cords and they are an improvement from stock cords.

The Shunyata Venom Tonepub talks about is another step up from the Signal PC, but I believe the price is now $125. BTW, I have a couple of the Venom's sitting around I would sell if interested.

To go a little further up the chain in performance would be the DH Labs Power Plus Cord - a great sounding cord for the price.

There are even better sounding PC available, just depends on how much you want to spend.

When I purchased my CLS's the were no cords. Durring my search I spoke with Grant at Shunyata about what they suggested since I was using their cabling in my system.
He said their experience and input they had gotten from dealers and owners was that the Venom was the best choice. The extra cost for more complex design just didn't offer enough improvment to be worth it.

DTB is right on the money, those DH Labs Power Plus are great power cords! I've always had great luck with their stuff.

Looks like the Venom is on sale right now for 50% off.
I just might go that route since the price is right, although the site shows that they're on backorder now:-(

Looks like the Venom is on sale right now for 50% off.
I just might go that route since the price is right, although the site shows that they're on backorder now:-(

Niko, I have a pair the Venom got from Music Direct for half off. It was to short for my gears. Check your PM.

Mike

I went from Grant Fidelity to Nordost power cords. I tired a Virtual Dynamics, but it was so thick and unwieldy I actually couldn't plug it into my components as everything is on one rack.

I tried Nordost Shiva after Grant Fidelity for powering my Summits and didn't like them. It sounded rather "thin," bass shy, a bit choked. The Vishnus sound great. More bass, fuller, "rounder" kind of sound if my adjectives make any sense. I never thought power cords would make a sound difference powering the speakers, but they do. I kept the Vishnus. Price is more than the other cables here, but I got them off Audiogon at around half retail, so can't complain.

I never tried Signal Cable power cords, but I really liked their RCA's. It took going up a large amount of $ to get notably better sound. I kept the Signal Cable RCA for my tuner. I liked it better than Nordost Baldur.

different power cables for Purity have less impact in sound than changing the distance from the front wall 1or2 inches...
think about it. if you don't believe me try it. then think again about the power cables for purity...

I use Signal Cable "Magic Power" power cord for my Puritys and my Descent i Sub and they are great power cables.

My speakers are about 3 feet from the wall and I will need cords about 7 feet long. Looks like the Signal Cable Magic Power will do just fine, thanks everyone for their response!
I'll report back after I get a set.

Latest posts

Back