Nordost Heimdell

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tah800

Reaction score
Am currently replacing my M series Monster with Nordost. Had heard it said that Nordost speaker cable was a little light in the bass end. I have the Carver Originals as my front speakers and Martin Logans for my center and rear. The Valhalla Odin and Tyr are just a bit to highly priced for me. I'm thinking of the Heimdall.My Carvers have 8 12' woofers and I'm wondering if the Nordost Heimdall would do the job. That is if any of you out there are using any of the Nordost product Thxs Art

Am currently replacing my M series Monster with Nordost. Had heard it said that Nordost speaker cable was a little light in the bass end. I have the Carver Originals as my front speakers and Martin Logans for my center and rear. The Valhalla Odin and Tyr are just a bit to highly priced for me. I'm thinking of the Heimdall.My Carvers have 8 12' woofers and I'm wondering if the Nordost Heimdall would do the job. That is if any of you out there are using any of the Nordost product Thxs Art

I'm using Nordost Frey from turntable to preamp to poweramps to speakers, and I can tell you this: light in bass they are not. Great bass, smooth, detailed treble, and wonderful imaging. The Frey is one step up from the Heimdall, so I would expect them to be almost as good as the Frey.

I too have Frey IC's and speaker cables. I tried a Baldur which gave the glorious top end air and inner detail I was looking for, but did nothing for the bass which really unbalanced the sound. The Frey are fabulous. Same top end air, a little better inner detail, but beautifully balanced weighty but natural bass versus the Baldur. If slap bass funk is your passion, no point in any Nordost IMO. But for air/inner detail, ahhhhhh. Love the Frey's.

A couple of years ago I borrowed Heimdalls from a local dealer. I replaced my Straightwire and DIY cables I was using at the time one at a time. First CDP to pre then added pre to power amps and finally speaker cables. With the first there was improved mids and the high end, nothing I recall in the low end though. With the replacement of each cable everything improved. A harshness that I had been working on removing in the mid-highs was greatly improved.
At that time I was using a Krell Standard to ARC LS-25 to ARC Classic 120's to CLSIIz's.
It was then that I was convinced that IMO there is a synergy that happened with theirs and probably many other manufacturer's cables when used through out a system. It didn't matter which cable I changed back to the original, when it was all Heimdall it sounded much better when used all together.
I did end up later purchasing a different cable than the Heimdall but only because it was a sticker shock thing as I was still trying to do a DIY that sounded as good as manufactured cables.
The Heimdall was very good cable that had a great smoothness through out the full musical range and I could easily live with them. As to why later I purchased other cables at in the same price range I don't remember at this time. May just be the old age slipping memory thing.
Whether it will make the bass sound the way think it should is something only you can decide. You should at least give them a try.

Hi Brad,
So, which cables did you end up choosing for your system??
Cheers, Greg

I am using all Shunyata products, Altair XLR interconnects, Andromeda speaker cables, Python PC's through a Hydra and Shunyata in wall receptacles.
They make very good products and have excellent customer service.

I have a combination of Nordost Valhalla and Odin in my system. These are their top of the line while the Heimdall, Baldur and Frey are the next level below. You did not mention your electronics which are extremely important for cable selection. There is no real science to mating cables to amplifiers, source components or speakers. Therefore, you should try to do business with a company that will allow you borrow samples and compare directly. One such company is "The Cable Company." They have a lending library and would let you borrow samples for the cost of return shipping. I have dealt with them for years and they are very customer-friendly.
Good luck!

nordost Heimdell

Someone mentioned wether or not I ended up with Heimdell. I presently have Heimdell speaker cable for my fronts and center. I also have a meter length for my CD player. I have a short length of Baldur interconnect for my rear surrounds. Ths other day I found some one meter Frey interconnect and was able to work a deal for $450.(Canadian Funds) Think I did alright there??? I really need a set of Heimdell or Frey interconnects at 1.5 meters. to run from my pre to the monoblocs. I have seen some Frey at over a grand but that's a little steep for me. There was a set of Heimdell for 500 bucks but it was in Portugal and the guy had no feedback . Didn't really want to go there. If you happen to have either of those two lying about maybe you could let me know. Fat chance right. Art

I just recently upgraded to Heimdalls and I love them! Really opened up my soundstage and lifted a veil! You know, the usual you hear about re-discovering your music collection.

I had Nordost Blue Heavens throughout my system until earlier this year. Then I tried Baldurs between my CD and preamp. I noticed an improvement, but it didn't wow me. I really believe in running the same cables throughout my system, so then I added Baldurs between my preamp and amp. Better, but less improvement than the first move provided.

At that point, I decided to go a little further up than planned and try the Heimdalls between my CD and preamp. Yes! The improvement really knocked me over! Of course, then I had to try the Heimdalls between the preamp and amp. That's when everything really fell into place as described above. All this time I had the Blue Heaven speaker cables in place. I found a good deal on Heimdall speaker cables shortly afterwards, so now I am set.

Cary 306/200 CD player
Cary SLP-2002 preamp
Parasound JC1 monoblocks
Vantages

I haven't tried the Frey or other models higher up in the Nordost chain, but I highly recommend the Heimdalls, as they are a bigger upgrade from the Baldurs than the Baldurs are from the Blue Heavens. By the way, I talked with someone at Nordost about these three cables, and he said that the Heimdalls are the biggest bang for the buck in their new line, "close to the Valhallas."

I think I'd have to hear the Valhalla first and if it is close to the Heimdell then at over 5 grand for the Valhalla I'd say someone is getting ripped off. I have both the Heimdell and frey for my interconnect. I think the Frey is better. The Heimdell Speaker Cable does not seem to produce the bass I'm looking for to run my Carver Amazings. If what the salesman said about the Hiemdell is true then the Valhallas probably wouldn't do the trick either. After paying an additional four or five grand wouldn't that be a let down. The thing that really gets to me is that is is nearly impossible to audition this Valhalla in our rigs so how will we ever be able to compare it to the Heimdell. If you have really great cable you shouldn't have to get used to it or play your stuff continuously for 200 hours to break it in . If it's that good it should blow your socks off the first time you hook it up. I got used to drinking skim milk it doesn' t make it great stuff. Let's see I'm going to really have to listen to my 20,000 Odin speaker cables to discover that they are better than my $800 Hiemdells. For the 20,000 it better hit me right away RIGHT???? Art

Back