Large or Small

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiDefBob

Reaction score
Once I switch from my current coaxial connection of my Blu-ray player to my processor to a multi-channel output I will be able to experience a better sound output, including better dynamic range. After making this multi-channel connection I will need to select small or large for the speakers from the Blu-ray player menu. I own a pair of Aeons, Scripts and a Cinema. Which type of speaker should I select ... my speakers are not really small or large? I have heard if you incorrectly select large it could damage your speakers.

Once I switch from my current coaxial connection of my Blu-ray player to my processor to a multi-channel output I will be able to experience a better sound output, including better dynamic range. After making this multi-channel connection I will need to select small or large for the speakers from the Blu-ray player menu. I own a pair of Aeons, Scripts and a Cinema. Which type of speaker should I select ... my speakers are not really small or large? I have heard if you incorrectly select large it could damage your speakers.
Hola...Aeon and Scripts can handle low frequency so set them large, Cinema at small...cut off frequency for the Cinema should be 80 Hz. The others can play full range with no problem. The Scripts are not too good at very low frequencies, but can handle the info. Also you need a sub. Happy listening,
Roberto.

Hello,
If using a subwoofer, I would definitely crossover the Cinema and Scripts at 80 Hz. Or at minimum, the Cinema as it only goes down to 80 Hz or at least the Cinema i does.

If your subwoofer is of a very high quality, I would actually crossover the Aeons as well. If you have configurable crossover, 50-60 Hz would probably work well. As always, listen, experiment and go with what sounds best.
Cheers,
ML

It depends on the type of spl's you wish to achieve.For low to moderate listening,large on the Aeon's would be fine.I would set all of them to small and use a 80-100hz crossover for all five.You will be able to achieve higher spl's without damaging the woofers on your speakers.I am a firm believer you should let the subwoofer do its job and handle the bass.

I'd suggest setting your Aeons to Large for music and Small for movies. Cinema and Scripts set to Small for all applications.

I'd suggest setting your Aeons to Large for music and Small for movies. Cinema and Scripts set to Small for all applications.

With the state of the art processors that include active equalization you should read the manual. Software like Audyssey want all speakers set to small for both music and movies.

AVS forum has an Audyssey thread and somewhere in there one of the owners of the company participates in a very good dialogue on this topic.

Sorry to bring back this thread and kind of hijack it...

I have a pair of Aerius with a 10 inch sub, I assume I should have it set as small and crossover the low too? My receiver actually has a setting that will send LFE + Main to the sub while keeping the Mains as "Large." Would that be better? Thanks!

Last edited:
Which receiver do you have?

In a system with a sub, I always recommend setting ALL the speakers to SMALL, regardless of how well they perform.

As an example, note that even in my extremely flexible and high performance system, every speaker is set to small. This is what sounds and measures the best.

The 'Small' setting is just an indicator to the processor that you want to have a crossover at some point between that speaker and the sub.

Most receiver/processors allow you select various crossovers per channel (or pairs). And ones equipped with auto-calibration will even recommend appropriate settings based on in-room measurement. Please read the guide to measuring using these systems I posted here.

Careful with that LFE+Main setting, it doubles up the bass and is not accurate.

Just configure it for basic 5 small + sub settings, pick reasonable crossover points (if the auto thing didn't) and roll with that.

Which receiver do you have?

In a system with a sub, I always recommend setting ALL the speakers to SMALL, regardless of how well they perform.

As an example, note that even in my extremely flexible and high performance system, every speaker is set to small. This is what sounds and measures the best.

The 'Small' setting is just an indicator to the processor that you want to have a crossover at some point between that speaker and the sub.

Most receiver/processors allow you select various crossovers per channel (or pairs). And ones equipped with auto-calibration will even recommend appropriate settings based on in-room measurement. Please read the guide to measuring using these systems I posted here.

Careful with that LFE+Main setting, it doubles up the bass and is not accurate.

Just configure it for basic 5 small + sub settings, pick reasonable crossover points (if the auto thing didn't) and roll with that.

O it's an older Denon 3806.

I did the auto calibration setting but now I am moving the system and adding a sub to it so I will re-do that again. I was gonna just set it to small anyway but found out that for the sub, the Denon can either just feed LFE to it, or feed LFE + Main, which like you said, might not be accurate.

Latest posts

Back