For Pass Labs and M-L fans-a match made in heaven!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babydoc

Reaction score
I have a pair of CLX's as my main speakers and have powered them with the Pass Labs X350.5 which I have used with previous M-Ls (Ascents/Summits) quite successfully. I have recently auditioned a set of Pass Labs XA-100.5 monoblocks. I can tell you unequivocally that the XA-100.5's and CLX's are a match made in heaven. These are Class A amps all the way up to 200 watts per side (the X350.5's have the first 40 watts in Class A and then enter A/B operation). The imaging, sound qualities and overall rightness with this combination is something to behold.
For those of you who are tube-aholics, this is a amplifier that you should consider since it has some of the tube warmth but with good detail, musicality and muscle. The highs are extended but not edgy;midrange is gorgeous.
They are smaller than the X350.5 (weigh about 50 pounds less per unit) but still require good ventilation. Good news is that they look great out in the open so spouse acceptance should be high.
These amps do run warm but no more so than my X350.5 does.
Depending on the size of your room, you might even get by with their smaller brother the XA-60.5 which will go up to 120 watts per side into 4 Ohms.
You can get pictures on the Pass Labs website. I will be posting new system pictures in the near future.(System 308)

I’m not surprised with your experience with pairing the XA-100.5s and your CLXs. I currently have the X350.5 paired up with my Summits Xs and I’m very happy with that combo. I may in a couple of years replace the X350.5 with a pair of Pass Labs class A mono amps.

I knew the more powerful amps in the XA .5 series would be a great match for the CLX. My dream setup is a pair of CLX and and a set of XA 200.5 monos.

I knew the more powerful amps in the XA .5 series would be a great match for the CLX. My dream setup is a pair of CLX and and a set of XA 200.5 monos.

Rich, don't discount the 100.5's. I have never driven them out of Class A with the CLX's and, while they are heavy, the 200.5's are real back breakers and room heaters. Unless you have a large cathedral-type room, you probably won't need that much power.

That makes perfect sense. I even had a great time driving the CLX's with my Luxman integrated, which is only 30wpc, class A. The coherence of the CLX really responds well to the class A thing.

Back