Depth or Descent

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbryant

Reaction score
I have Acsent driven by Krell in a room 11'5" wide by 18' 6" long with 8' ceiling (8' 6" in center recessed). This is a stereo system... not video.

My question is... will a Depth be enough? Is the differences between the subs driver size only, or are there others differences... like sound quality.

thanks,
Greg

Depth vs Descent

From your description, you have an average size room. I have had Ascents with Descent subs (2). You could easily find Descents for sale used (since they have been discontinued) and were designed to mate well with your speakers. They have the same type of woofer driver as the Ascents (10") The reason to get two if you can is that position them so that they disappear and there are no major bass nodes in your room. They are also very adjustable for crossover and major frequency points.
I have not heard a set up for 2.1 sound (stereo plus single sub) that does not call attention to the sub at some time. If you look at the manual that comes with the Ascent you may see subwoofer placement diagram behind each speaker.
Of course, you could start with one sub and see if that works for you (which it might).
Good luck

Hello,
I am currently using a single Depth in a 5.1 ML system and have been quite satisfied. Everyone has different ideas about what is satisfactory bass is, but I will say the Depth sounds amazing considering its size.

With the "i" revision, the Descent went up to another level by going from a single 400 watt amp to 3 250 watt amplifiers. One for each driver.
The Depth i did not see as much of a transformation. Amplifier power rating went from a single 300 watt amplifier to a single 350 watt amplifier RMS with also a higher peak rating. In addition, there were advancements made in the servo control. Major changes in the Descent, somewhat minor in the Depth.

Both subwoofers share pretty much all technologies otherwise. The Balanced Force Alignment (3 drivers 120 degrees apart canceling out vibrations), Trilinear Array (3 drivers operating in parallel), Servo Control, etc..

For what it's worth, several flagship CLX setups have been done with Depth's instead of Descent's. All I can say is they are both excellent and that the Depth might surprise you given its size. Certainly did me.

The best way to decide short of in home auditions, is to go hear them. Either way, I truly think you will be quite pleased.
Cheers,
ML

Hi Greg,
I have a room just a shot larger than yours at 12x20 with Odyssey's with a depth sub. I have found that with one sub if you place it right dead center between your main speakers it will be seamless. Actually the corner placement is among the worst spots. You will have more bass but the quality of it will be less than optimum.
That said, I do have the intention of either getting another depth, firing them down the room from opposite ends. If you run one as I mentioned above , you will be plaesed. The addition of the sub makes the soundstage bloom and gives a fuller presentation to music. I was quite surprised after getting the depth and wouldn't go without it now.
Cheers, Greg

I use two Depth i with my monolith system and I find the bass to be very well blended. I have the subs placed at opposite (diagonal) corners and the crossover set to 35Hz with the volume knob at 5 on each. My room is very big at 25 x 18. I find using 2 subs work better for me.

Back