Are you an audiophile?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you an audiophile?

• I'm definitely an audiophile (or cinemaphile)

Votes: 48 64.0%
  • I'm just an enthusiast

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • I just appreciate the good things in life

Votes: 9 12.0%

• Total voters

amey01

Reaction score
Okay - it's a bit embarrasing, but you can remain anonymous!

I get the impression a lot of ML owners (definitely not so much those here!) own ML because they have lots of money and can afford cool things. Or they like the look.

So - are you an audiophile or do you own ML for a reason other than the sound?

So - are you an audiophile or do you own ML for a reason other than the sound?

No matter how hard they try no ML speaker is ever going to look like a beautiful piece of furniture. Their placement requirements mess up a room in the best of circumstances. They are a bit finicky as to what power they are fed. And the best ones are EXPENSIVE.

Now, if we are not audiophiles...then we must be masochists!

Last edited:
Listed myself as an enthusiast. We purchased a home on the weekend and my biggest worry is that I will not be able to optimally setup my system in the new living room & I don't want it in the basement rec room :eek:
I guess an audiophile would have said no to the house and look for a place that would be friendly to a ML setup :)

Listed myself as an enthusiast. We purchased a home on the weekend and my biggest worry is that I will not be able to optimally setup my system in the new living room & I don't want it in the basement rec room :eek:
I guess an audiophile would have said no to the house and look for a place that would be friendly to a ML setup :)

Every house I look at I consider listening facilities!

Every house I look at I consider listening facilities!

Well, few years ago, I was looking for a large listening room with high ceiling.
Guess what? I've found one, and as an extra there was a house too.

I might be an audiophile.

I guess designing my custom home around my listening room, which itself is designed around my MartinLogan set, surely qualifies me as an 'audiofool' :D

I fall in the bottom category. I really like them, but just havent invested the time or money in improving my system. They sound great but I think I have limited myself a bit by not having equipment that lives up to the logans.

Oh well. They look nice.

is it possible to be an audiophile who can afford to live like one? or does the lack of ability to aquire the best gear make me simply an enthusiast? ive often wondered this question.

my recording rig certainly qualifies me, but i think my playback then removes me...im conflicted.

or does the lack of ability to aquire the best gear make me simply an enthusiast? ive often wondered this question.
The best as defined by whom ? If you enjoy what you have, who gives a damn as to what else is out there ? Of late I seem to concentrate more on the music than on the sound, so I wonder what that makes me - a musicphile rather than an audiophile ?

or does the lack of ability to aquire the best gear make me simply an enthusiast? ive often wondered this question.

DEFINITELY NOT! By audiophile I mean someone who is in this hobby because they have a passion for audio (and music) specifically.

The impetus for me to ask this question was because I notice a few people among audio circles that seem to be into every other expensive hobby under the sun as well, and some of them (not all of them by any count) seem to be into their other hobbies as much as audio.

Which prompted me to ask - are you really into audio, or do you just enjoy expensive things?

Bernard - audiophile or musicphile is another interesting topic altogether!

When I bought my first pair of MLs I was an enthusiast. Now, I am definitely an audiophile. The difference? I did pass up on certain houses when shopping primarily because I could not imagine a good listening enviroment in them!:eek:

Well, I say "audiophile" (and indeed I always have been an audiophile - even before I owned any audio equipment) because music has always captivated me.

Even when I was a kid with a ghetto blaster, if there was music playing I woud stop in my tracks and listen intently. I could never have music on in the background because I would not do anything else. Music was for complete attention or nothing. This was the impetus for me to acquire better and better sound systems.

...and to this day, I find background music annoying. I either listen to music (as it should be listened to) with 100% attention or else I'd rather it off. Two things vying for my attention causes stress!

And yes, I too passed up many a house because of insufficient listening facilities.

good then, i am an audiophile as well. thanks for the affirmation.

I don't know, you tell me.
I really don't care what my equipment looks like, i.e. if it matches, the wires are hidden, or aesthetically pleasing with the decor.
But I will fiddle with it for hours.
I can't talk shop because I don't have the means to purchase enough change-out equipment to do comparisons.
But if I did I imagine I would have some expensive reference pieces on my rack(s).
I'd rather talk about the artists music, The hows and whys it developed, and the artists careers than the product line or engineering of some component.
If I lost all my audio equipment I'd cry. If I lost my hearing, I'd die.
I tell people I'm not an "audiophile", but they tell me I am.

Anglophile, Francophile, Bibliophile, . . . All have an air of focusing on the outward affectations and disregard the contents.

Former audiophile secondary to lack of funds and a change in living situation.

Back