Nirvana - Are You there yet?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiTT

Super User
Reaction score
Interseting point that my friend Bernard brought up in a different thread (Why do Martin Logans have such lousy resale and interest?). Are you at the point of Audio Nirvana?

I know I haven't bought anything new in quite some time - other than new music that is. I haven't been tweaking anything, I haven't been swapping anything. I've only been listening to my music. Part of it may be that I'm trying to save money in a still slow economy, but quite honestly, other than "If I won the lottery" type daydreams I haven't got the desire to go out and add anything new to the system. I am content.

Oh sure, I still want to build my dedicated room, and I'll occasionally browse AudioGon looking at one thing or another, and I'd love to upgrade to some CLX's at some point and would love to mount a Lyra Scala on my tonearm. But overall I'm just continuing to discover my music.

Anyone else (besides Bernard and myself)?

Interseting point that my friend Bernard brought up in a different thread (Why do Martin Logans have such lousy resale and interest?). Are you at the point of Audio Nirvana?

I know I haven't bought anything new in quite some time - other than new music that is. I haven't been tweaking anything, I haven't been swapping anything. I've only been listening to my music. Part of it may be that I'm trying to save money in a still slow economy, but quite honestly, other than "If I won the lottery" type daydreams I haven't got the desire to go out and add anything new to the system. I am content.

Oh sure, I still want to build my dedicated room, and I'll occasionally browse AudioGon looking at one thing or another, and I'd love to upgrade to some CLX's at some point and would love to mount a Lyra Scala on my tonearm. But overall I'm just continuing to discover my music.

Anyone else (besides Bernard and myself)?

Hola Mitt...that is my feeling also. I do not want or need anything else than changing the audio or video format (because you have to, not because you want to)...but sound is what all we here are into...yes, we do not have a perfect sound, but what my ears are listening and enjoying, I can conclude as you did, I am a happy listener and still in love with my ML sound. Tweaks here and there are available, some did make my sound better to my liking, and truly in total happiness with my sound. Because of my job, I have to listen all kinds and different brands of audio gear, some goods very expensive, other in a lower price category, and my feeling is the same as you are...content, happy, steady, stable, with my feet moving along with the music, my ears full of musician(s) playing "there" for me...I do not complaint...I do listen more and my effort and attention is to where my sound is good than where my sound is not that good. I listen more for pleasure than for be suffering of a tiny flaw in my sound system chain...yes, a Martin Logan super happy listener!!! that's who I am...happy listening,
Roberto.

Hello,
I too am actually quite satisfied. As Spiremania swept around here, I seriously contemplated upgrading to them. I auditioned them and seriously considered placing my Vantages on Audiogon.

While wasting time on Stereophile, I came across Jonathan Scull's "Fine Tunes" and started little by little doing everything possible to maximize the speakers I already had. As I started tweak by tweak better focusing the sound, the more I realized I never really came close to maximizing what I already had.

Are there better speakers out there than my Vantages including the Spire? Oh, most definitely. But, they are still damn good speakers which benefit greatly from fastidious placement and excellent components.

I really have come to embrace the new lossless codecs (True HD, DTS-MA) and also have the Stage, Vista's for Surrounds and a Depth Subwoofer. All told, I truly am happy with my complete system.
Cheers,
ML

I'm there and I'm happy!

The only way I'm going to get more sound is to get a bigger room. Would love to have some more first edition pressings of my favorite records, but as for sound, couldn't be happier.

(though a pair of Gamut S-9's are on the way....)

like yourself Tim, I'm contemplating a cartridge change this fall / winter, but other than that I am very, very content. I am currently enjoying my various 'finds' as I come upon various brick and mortar record stores.

I'm very satisified with my system too, but I've not reached the point where I want to stop just yet. I'll be receiving some new cables soon, after which a new cartridge is a must. Further down the road, a new phono stage and preamp are on my new toys list...

I'm content, for now! I would continue to build and add to my system if my room was not the limiting factor. Our next house will have a dedicated room, where additional upgrades can be realized. So for now, I'm happy just saving money for the time I'll need it.

Unless Jeff's review of the 1.2's pushes me over the edge!

Gordon

I guess the one place where I feel a bit dissatisfied is with my analog rig. I have tweaked the turntable setup over and over, changed cables, etc., and I am still not convinced that I have gotten it right. This is the place I could most benefit from having someone with more expertise come over and tinker with the system. I'm not sure what the weak link is, but I can't help thinking much of the time that I am only getting about 80% of what this gear should provide. On the digital front, I am quite happy, although that might all change once I try out high-resolution downloads. No hurry to do that, however. What I am listening to now is already so much better than anything I've had before. 'Very satisfying.

Contentment comes not from what you have but knowing what you can live without.

True.

Mellow is the man who knows what he is missing. - Led Zep

Actually, I must be content, since I've had the same speakers since 1995. Yes, there are better speakers, but for the size of my treated room, my current speakers deliver the goods.

Last edited:
I guess the one place where I feel a bit dissatisfied is with my analog rig. I have tweaked the turntable setup over and over, changed cables, etc., and I am still not convinced that I have gotten it right. This is the place I could most benefit from having someone with more expertise come over and tinker with the system. .

I've Pm'ed you with some thoughts............

...............I haven't got the desire to go out and add anything new to the system. I am content.
Hey Tim, I'm glad you're there as well.

Looks like I started something, with more people saying that they are happy as well. I must not be too popular with any vendors here looking to sell stuff. :eek:

Not there yet, but I do have a path in mind to get me there. Upgrade my source, and then upgrade to CLX's!

How many times did you buy a componant or cable thinking it was going to be an upgrade but after listening found it to be a degrade in your system.

I'm content, for now! I would continue to build and add to my system if my room was not the limiting factor. Our next house will have a dedicated room, where additional upgrades can be realized. So for now, I'm happy just saving money for the time I'll need it.

Unless Jeff's review of the 1.2's pushes me over the edge!

Gordon

Dude, if you want a BIG upgrade for less money, get rid of those Richard Grey boxes and get a Running Springs Jaco... You won't even believe the diff. I know the Mac crowd really likes Richard Grey, but it strangles Mc power amps...

I guarantee you'll be floored.

I must admit that I missed this thread until now.

Nirvana? Only each person can decide.

As for me, I'm quite content and have no reason to upgrade until I move.

To underscore Tim's opening remarks, I find, as I've said before in the Mantana thread (why ML speakers are lousy, blah blah), ML speakers are the messenger. And those with sufficient maturity (read experience listening to stats) will recognize that fact.

GG

Last edited:
I have not reached audio nirvana, but I'm kinda at that point of diminishing returns and I have adopted other hobbies that occupy more of my time and finances. I think for me its all about the enjoyment I get from the sound I have now and I don't think about how much better it could be. Once I cancelled the Stereophile and Absolute Sound I realized I stopped lusting after the latest & greatest and the audio nervosa went away.

Back