polarity problem with ML Feature?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musicguy

Reaction score
Am getting a diagnostic from Audyssey room EQ software saying that one of my 3 Feature speakers has reversed polarity. Why would one have a problem and not the others? FWIW that speaker also has annoying pops, which I have a question about below. Could the speaker really have a polarity problem, or is the software being fooled? The speakers are new.

Re. the pops, ML said to give it 80 hours and they'd go away. Nope! Tried the vacuuming routine with some improvement. Should I send it back? Another one of the Features has something inside which rattles when it's moved. And with low volume sound it shuts off and crackles like a bag getting crumpled. Is this typical from ML? A bad day in QA?

The low-down on the rest of the gear: it's a 5.1 system with 3 powered Features for surround and center, a Grotto i sub, and powered Paradigm Active 40's in the front. Preamp is multi-channel Parasound P7. Source is mostly OPPO BDP-83. Have a NeptuneEQ on order.

Thanks so much!!!

Am getting a diagnostic from Audyssey room EQ software saying that one of my 3 Feature speakers has reversed polarity. Why would one have a problem and not the others? FWIW that speaker also has annoying pops, which I have a question about below. Could the speaker really have a polarity problem, or is the software being fooled? The speakers are new.

Re. the pops, ML said to give it 80 hours and they'd go away. Nope! Tried the vacuuming routine with some improvement. Should I send it back? Another one of the Features has something inside which rattles when it's moved. And with low volume sound it shuts off and crackles like a bag getting crumpled. Is this typical from ML? A bad day in QA?

The low-down on the rest of the gear: it's a 5.1 system with 3 powered Features for surround and center, a Grotto i sub, and powered Paradigm Active 40's in the front. Preamp is multi-channel Parasound P7. Source is mostly OPPO BDP-83. Have a NeptuneEQ on order.

Thanks so much!!!
Hola musicguy. Swap the bad speaker for the next of it, and do the test again. I think that the software is fooled. Also, you can hear the exact point of the noise coming from the Feature stat panel. Right there is where you have to vacuum...remember to do this once you had disconnected from the mains a.c. (or the power supply) for over 12 hours. This will solve the annoying pops, usually by a debris...happy listening,
Roberto.

. . .

Re. the pops, ML said to give it 80 hours and they'd go away. Nope! Tried the vacuuming routine with some improvement. Should I send it back? Another one of the Features has something inside which rattles when it's moved. And with low volume sound it shuts off and crackles like a bag getting crumpled. Is this typical from ML? A bad day in QA? . . .

Thanks so much!!!
It's the sound of the ghosts who died for the U.S. fighting communism.

About polarity or phase

Thanks so much!!!

Quite often you will see polarity and phase used interchangeably. I know next to nothing about Audyssey. The answer may be found in the Audyssey thread at: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/index.php?

You may really have a phase problem caused by the interaction of your speakers with your room and each other. Get a disk similar to XLO's Test and Burn-In CD. Most of these discs have a phase test. If your speakers are out of phase and the polarity is correct, then you need to fix your room. Sometimes repositioning the speakers can fix the problem.

Back