Balanced power to Logans.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ps68

Reaction score
Is anyone here using an isolating balanced power supply to power their logans?

I have added an Airlink BPS 2000 to power my Spires and the results are all good. Not too costly by high end standards either at 350 GBP, approx $500?

Improvements are in clarity, like a layer of fine mesh has been removed. Nice..

I truly believe in providing the cleanest most perfect power as possible to expect your system to perform at its best.

I’m using a balance power isolator from Balanced Power Technologies model BP-3.5 Signature Plus w/Teflon V-Caps for my entire 2CH system as it has a rated 20 amp continuous output. From my listening experience with it I noticed a veil has been lifted and all of the instruments have a virgin stage to play from without the noise from the electrical grid or house wiring/devices. All of the instruments have much more air around them. The backgroung is now so black it’s like the darkest bottomless pit you ever saw. I strongly feel this is the basis to start from having a virgin clean power for your audio/video equipment for them to perform at their best.

Last edited:
i installed a couple of plitron balanced power isolation transformers for my gear a couple of years back and the results were very favourable.

I was just gifted two PS Audio Duets and use them for my Quests. Seems to make them sound somewhat better. Way less background noise. Otherwise, nothing to brag about.

I have a 2KVA balanced transformer on a dedicated 20v line feeding an Exact Power EP15 regenerator, a Monster HT3500 takes a feed from the balanced power transformer for HT video components, including receiver and sub woofer for HT. 2 channel power amps are taking current direct from the balanced power and everything else, including REQuests take power from the regenerator.

Frankly, I can't say the ML's sound any better via all that power conditioning versus direct wall power, but all the source components and preamp have lower noise and more headroom. I also found that for my phono stage, isolation from any mains gear is best and that is why I recently moved to a battery phono stage (Pathos inthegroove).

My conclusion is that even with dedicated 20amp circuits, there is noise and it does find its way into the system and anything you can do to isolate it gives a clearer, cleaner, quieter, more dynamic sound.

Steve

I'll concur with Steve that balanced power to the ML's in and of itself does not make a measurable difference (It's me, you know I measured ;) )

But balanced power to the rest of the rig sure makes a distinct difference.

One of the goals in BP is to also have a common ground for everything, which is why I recommend plugging the speakers into the same BP transformer as the amps.

BTW- I run all audio/video connected to a 5Kva Equitech with my custom mods and controls.

Outboard power regulators: Do you need them?

Is anyone here using an isolating balanced power supply to power their logans?

I have added an Airlink BPS 2000 to power my Spires and the results are all good. Not too costly by high end standards either at 350 GBP, approx $500?

Improvements are in clarity, like a layer of fine mesh has been removed. Nice..

Most of us have noisy power lines running into our homes. You can avoid the noise but setting up your own power station and running the lines directly into your home circuits. However, this solution comes at a price-millions of dollars! A much cheaper solution is to refine the power coming out of your wall sockets and there are many ways to achieve this. The ideal is to keep out the noise and isolate your components from each other. I have gone through many iterations of power filtering, treatment, isolation, and refining units. The best that I have heard are the Nordost Thors (a modified Isotek unit with Nordost wiring). They are silent,uncolored, and provide protection. They are costly but make more of a difference than nearly anything else in the signal path

Babydoc,

The Thor is not an isolating transformer though is it? I think that this is the fundamental element here.

It's good to hear that you like what it did in your system, It is often quite a surprise what difference the mains quality makes.

Jonfo,

I have noticed a considerable difference with the IBPS on the Spires alone, my amps wont benefit as they have iso trafo's built in, the ASR Emitter 2, and the input is battery powered. Did your Equitech clean things up considerably?

Cheers all and happy listening..
Paul.

Jonfo,

I have noticed a considerable difference with the IBPS on the Spires alone, my amps wont benefit as they have iso trafo's built in, the ASR Emitter 2, and the input is battery powered. Did your Equitech clean things up considerably?

Paul.

Paul, yes, powered models (Summit / Spires / etc.) will indeed see noticeable benefits from balanced power to their active electronics. Highly recommended for those versions.

My prior comment applies only to passive speaker models. BP on the ESL step-up up is nice, but not critical. Common grounding is the main benefit for those models. (although interestingly enough, some models (e.g. SL3) don't actually use the ground wire inside the speaker at all, it stops at the EIC socket).

As for the rest of the system, substantial improvement. Lowering of overall noise floor, excellent reserves of power for the class-G amps I use (which put big demands on the line during peaks).

For my big CRT (Sony G70), balanced power (and common ground with rest of A/V system), reduced video noise, and provided very stable performance over the 8+ years I've had BP in the system.

Balanced power transformer

Babydoc,

The Thor is not an isolating transformer though is it? I think that this is the fundamental element here.

It's good to hear that you like what it did in your system, It is often quite a surprise what difference the mains quality makes.

Jonfo,

Paul.

The Thor is not a transformer per se but an isolating power distributor. I have used several transformer based units, like the PS Audio, Chang lightspeed and others. I found that most colored the sound compared to no transformer. The Thor was by far more neutral to sound source and could handle all of my peripherals and amplifiers. It is in fact a modified UK-designed IsoTek unit so if you wanted to compare the two you could. There are some circuit and wiring differences between them.

Back