Distortion at medium-loud volume

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toner

Reaction score
I have a set of Martin Logan speakers (Aeon, Cinema, Script, Descent) for home theater use, but I recently bought a stereo amplifier and D/A processor to drive my Aeon for stereo music. For movie watching, the speakers were connected to the Sony 5200ES receiver, but I knew that it never drove the Aeon to its potential.

I bought a used MC2 MC650 pro amplifier and a studio-grade Lavry DA11 D/A processor to try to drive the Aeon to its potential for stereo music. The MC2 is very commanding, powerful, and neutral. The MC2 MC650 is rated at 650wpc into 4ohm. I chose MC2 because I knew the Aeon can go down to 1 ohm and the MC2 can handle that with ease. I was correct. The sound is totally different from the Sony receiver. I have never heard such powerful bass from the Aeon, and the highs and mids are now much more precise.

After listening for a few days, I noticed that at medium volume when the vocal goes louder, I hear distortion. :eek: It's the type of sound when the sound is too loud for the speaker to handle (ie. similar to the sound I hear when the equalizer bar reaches beyond the top red LED bar in my ancient stereo system) But I am not turning it up THAT loud. :confused: Is this normal with Martin Logan speakers? What is wrong with my system? :( Thanks.

I have a set of Martin Logan speakers (Aeon, Cinema, Script, Descent) for home theater use, but I recently bought a stereo amplifier and D/A processor to drive my Aeon for stereo music. For movie watching, the speakers were connected to the Sony 5200ES receiver, but I knew that it never drove the Aeon to its potential.

I bought a used MC2 MC650 pro amplifier and a studio-grade Lavry DA11 D/A processor to try to drive the Aeon to its potential for stereo music. The MC2 is very commanding, powerful, and neutral. The MC2 MC650 is rated at 650wpc into 4ohm. I chose MC2 because I knew the Aeon can go down to 1 ohm and the MC2 can handle that with ease. I was correct. The sound is totally different from the Sony receiver. I have never heard such powerful bass from the Aeon, and the highs and mids are now much more precise.

After listening for a few days, I noticed that at medium volume when the vocal goes louder, I hear distortion. :eek: It's the type of sound when the sound is too loud for the speaker to handle (ie. similar to the sound I hear when the equalizer bar reaches beyond the top red LED bar in my ancient stereo system) But I am not turning it up THAT loud. :confused: Is this normal with Martin Logan speakers? What is wrong with my system? :( Thanks.

Hola...I think that there is nothing wrong with your speakers. Believe it or not, the Aeon is very clean and crispy.The clue here is quality watts than quantity. I am not saying that you amplifier is bad...what I am saying is that you should try another power amp like Sunfire, Krell, Conrad Johnson, Classe, Anthem, Aragon, Bryston, Pass Labs, McCormack, Jeff Rowland, VTL, to name a few and listen if you have the same effect...can you listen with less volume, moderate level for 15 minutes with the same program material, and tell us what you think again, this is for testing if the mid range of your amp is doing what you do not like...happy listening,
Roberto.
Roberto.

Last edited:
First switch OFF the rear tweeter if you have one. Then switch out any EQ or processing. Does it happen with any music or only with certain frequencies or certain vocals/ recordings? Does it happen to both sides? If it's repeatable and you can recreate it at will, maybe you can find a buzz in the MLs.

Last edited:
Back