Summit X review

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay - something I've always wondered:

What actually happens to make a speaker "too large" for a room?

Do people say this just because it sounds right - ie. Small speaker for small room, large speaker for large room), or do large speakers in small rooms actually physically do something to make them unsuitable for use?

The British Magazine with the review is Hi Fi + and the review was not as in depth, but he did state from the onset that the Summit X is one of the best speakers currently available.

What I find interesting is that the reviewer compares the original's sound with the "X" in two entirely different rooms, electronics, etc.

I assume the "X" is an improved model but, given the above, the comparison lacks credibility.

GG

PS: The other major variable, IMHO, is how much the two crossover volume settings have to do with the overall sound. Very small adjustments are easily audible in my system. I can make the system sound lean, overly lush, or anything in between depending on the settings.

Last edited:
Okay - something I've always wondered:

What actually happens to make a speaker "too large" for a room?

Do people say this just because it sounds right - ie. Small speaker for small room, large speaker for large room), or do large speakers in small rooms actually physically do something to make them unsuitable for use?

Adam,

Let me take a shot at answering your question.

I believe a large speaker in a small room will potentially limit position options to optimize the sound and may very well "overload" the room within the context of emphasizing room nodes / resonances.

Gordon

Back