Measuring Musical-Visual Intelligence

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepysurf

Reaction score
Here's a fascinating online test that measures your "Associative Musical-Visual Intelligence." It's definitely challenging, but really opens your mind up to what constitutes musical patterns. I think the author is really on to something!

http://jakemandell.com/amvi/

BTW, I scored 70.

Challenging! 85%, and a couple of samples simply flummoxed me.

85% here too! Bit of a shame the correct results aren't revealed at the end, but I guess that could allow some people to "cheat".

i don't get it.:confused:

Oh, no! That means you no longer qualify for "audiophile" status. Better sell your Summits, buy a set of Bose, and hand the forum reins over to whomever scores highest on the test! :D

Actually, the idea is to choose which of the three graphics best represents the musical passage(s) just played. The one's with the arrows are a bit easier to understand, but if you concentrate on the others, you'll start to see (or think you see) the correlation. It's really a brilliant concept, but I'm not sure it necessarily correlates with your ability to enjoy listening. I think it has more potential as a general screen for brain function (? early dementia). It would be fascinating to test this with fMRA (functional MRI) or PET scans and see what parts of the brain light up. In fact, I suspect that's the direction the author, Jake Mandell, is going.

We'll definitely be hearing more about him in the future!

Interesting. I scored a 70 as well, but I am wondering about 2 or 3 of them. Some of the symbols seem to pan off to the left or right, is that because the sound trails off in that direction? The reason I ask is because I was listening in mono here at work and could not figure out what was supposed to happen.:confused: Oh well.:cool:

Glen

Aw nuts, 80%. Once I got the concept it was simple, though I had to play the sample again a couple of times.

I got the first 8 100% correct and just got bored...:cool:

Or was it just fear of actually getting any of the later ones wrong?

Probably both:D

Last edited:
Oh, no! That means you no longer qualify for "audiophile" status. Better sell your Summits, buy a set of Bose, and hand the forum reins over to whomever scores highest on the test! :D

Actually, the idea is to choose which of the three graphics best represents the musical passage(s) just played. The one's with the arrows are a bit easier to understand, but if you concentrate on the others, you'll start to see (or think you see) the correlation. It's really a brilliant concept, but I'm not sure it necessarily correlates with your ability to enjoy listening. I think it has more potential as a general screen for brain function (? early dementia). It would be fascinating to test this with fMRA (functional MRI) or PET scans and see what parts of the brain light up. In fact, I suspect that's the direction the author, Jake Mandell, is going.

We'll definitely be hearing more about him in the future!

Well I say since I can't take that test thru my Summits, the results will be skewed because my computer speakers blow and I will not be able to accurately pick the correct diagrams based on what I'm hearing.

After the first question, I stopped after realizing it would be futile, so therefore, I believe I'm more of a true "audiophile" than you guys who took this test.

so there! :ROFL:

I'll continue to hold the reins of the forum until someone offers up some cash or a pair of CLXs!! :devil:

I approached it light heartedly and received a 55% I guess I had better sell my Logans as I really do not understand what I am listening to.

Back