Looking for amp advice...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisRVin

Reaction score
So, I'm considering upgrading from my current ML Puritys to the ML Vantages and I don't know if my current Pioneer Elite VSX-91 will do the trick... Any advice on a good amp to go with thats not going to put me in the poor house? If I do upgrade my fronts, I will also upgrade my center and sub as well.

vsx-91 won't do, expect retail on good amp to be between 2-3k and great amp to be 5k or greater, remember that used, just about any unit can be had for 40-60% off retail. As far as specific recommendations go, search the site this topic has been covered hundreds of times.

yes been covered often...but regarding your Pioneer Elite 'not doing', that's somewhat bogus for it WILL drive your Vantages. I suggest you listen through it initially while you do your various searches on the forum for other options, ask questions of those with amps you may be interested in , etc. For you see far and away the majority of us prefer seperates.

not so fast...

Dave gives some good advice there. The newer generation of ML speakers are supposed to be easier to drive. Your receiver might do a fine job unless you listen to demanding material at rather loud volumes.

The consenus has long been the separate components deliver the best quality sound and the options are numerous depending on your budget. However, you might be surprised how good your receiver sounds through the Vantages even when matched up against decent separate components...especially when one considers the price differential.

And yes, this topic has been covered more than any other on this forum.

Erik

Unless you are going to spend enormous money, I'd consider a really good integrated instead of seperates. The money you save on not needing a 2nd power cord, extra interconnect can go into the amp.

Here's the integrateds I've used with the Vantages and would suggest:

Rega Elicit $3,200
Naim SuperNait $5,000 (has a great DAC built in if that interests you)
Lavardin $6000
McIntosh MC6300 $3,200 (and cool blue meters)
SimAudio Moon i7 $7,500
Luxman 505u, $4500

and if you want to get wacky with the Checkbook:

Burmester 082, $15,995

For all those defending the receiver keep in mind the vsx91 was the entry point of the elite line and does not deliver the type of power that vsx94 or the newer ice power units do. Plus if I'm correct all you guys backing the use of a budget receiver to power ESL Logan's have amps that make my 3k Cambridge look like something out of a 99 cent bubblegum machine running your systems. Next thing you know Rich, mister every amp has to double down and provide pure 100% class A power to have a worthy existence, will pop up and recommend the use of a Wallmart Sony receiver to power summits.

To add to Jeff's list, I'd also consider the Pass Labs Int. 150 for around $6,500 new.

GG

Jeffs suggestion of the McIntosh MC6300 sounds the best deal to me but I am a little bit byast

Back