Pass Lab XA30.5

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alremc

Reaction score
I did a search on this amp and didn't turn anything up. I was under the impression that our ML's need some juice to get the most of them. I have a pair of Aerius i's and i auditioned this amp this weekend and it really sounded sweet. Now granted, I am not one to listyen to loud music but I did turn it up on some ol time RR and it didn't phase it. Am i missing something here if I end up with this 30 wat amp? :confused:

First, let me say upfront I have no experience with this particular amp.

With that said, Pass Labs makes top quality gear, and if you look at the reviews of that amp they will all say it packs a lot more punch than the specs would lead you to believe. However, even if it's astonishingly good by 30w amp standards, in an industry built in power, I have to wonder why you would want to limit yourself to 30 watts. Even if it has great performance that squeeze every ounce out of those 30 watts, wouldn't a comparable amp packing 60 watts be better? And so on...

This is a Pure Class A amp. So given a nominal load of 4 ohms as most MLs have your amp has a power rating of 60 watts. I don't know if 60 watts will get all of the dynamics if you are to play music over 100db. But for everyday listening this is a great amp. If you listened to it and like it that’s all that matters.

Last edited:
The Pass amps are solid as a rock, with huge power supplies and they deliver the current ML's need. The XA .5 series was specifically designed to handle the needs of difficult speakers like the ML's. I imagine you might get better overall dynamics from something like the XA 160.5, but no doubt that the 30.5 can drive ML's just fine in my opinion.

Feltran, i didn't feel the amp was working hard but I want to make sure that I am not short changing my self in the overall dynamics as Rich mentioned but most of my listening is everyday type. My room is 12x13.

Don't know if you are interested in buying used, but there is a XA-60.5 on Audiogon right now for $6,500 and a pair of XA-160.5 monoblocs for $8,000. Either one would give you the same great Class A sound but with a little more power (and heat) on tap.

I haven't heard this particular amp either but would like to.

...However, even if it's astonishingly good by 30w amp standards, in an industry built in power, I have to wonder why you would want to limit yourself to 30 watts...

Because this amp is playing up to 30 watts in pure Class A all they way up to 30. You're assuming it can't be that good simply because of the watt spec. Most SS amps start out in Class A but within a few watts drop down to Class B. There is headroom and then there is Class A headroom. This amp has plenty of Class A headroom.

...Even if it has great performance that squeeze every ounce out of those 30 watts, wouldn't a comparable amp packing 60 watts be better? And so on...

Only if the higher powered amp is also pure Class A but they are even more expensive such as the XA60.5 and may not be cost effective or necessary.

I'll take a few quality Class A watts over a high quantity of B watts any day.

Last edited:
I recently started using a Pass Labs XA30.5 and XP10 pre-amp. This amp sounds much better on my Summit X's than any previous amp I have tried and power does not seem to be an issue.
I personally think this is an amazing match for the ML panels and the more I listen the more I am amazed.

Pass Labs Amps

Feltran, i didn't feel the amp was working hard but I want to make sure that I am not short changing my self in the overall dynamics as Rich mentioned but most of my listening is everyday type. My room is 12x13.

I have owned Pass Labs amps for years beginning with the Aleph series and migrating to the X.5 series which I currently use to power CLXs. Your room is relatively small which means you will be listening in near-field speaker placement (less than 10 feet). Also your listening volume will not be at the max (doesn't need to be). Class A amplification is the gold standard for pure power delivery (never turns off) at the price of cost and heat. You should be aware that the Class X.5 series are AB amps which run in the first 30 - 40 watts in Class A before switching over to AB. My impressions on Pass Class XA series vs X series is that the former are sweeter sounding but less detailed while the latter are more foward but with better detail recovery. So it boils down to listening taste and source. You cannot go wrong either way with high-build quality. In a room your size the larger Class A amps will make it very warm (space-heater effect) so that is another consideration. I would agree with some of the above comments that you should listen to the more powerful amps before making a commitment to be sure you get the most for your ears

Stereophile measured the power at clipping to be 130W (8 Ohms) and 195W (4 Ohms). The 30W 'rating' is where it leaves Class A....
(Link)

First, let me say upfront I have no experience with this particular amp.

With that said, Pass Labs makes top quality gear, and if you look at the reviews of that amp they will all say it packs a lot more punch than the specs would lead you to believe. However, even if it's astonishingly good by 30w amp standards, in an industry built in power, I have to wonder why you would want to limit yourself to 30 watts. Even if it has great performance that squeeze every ounce out of those 30 watts, wouldn't a comparable amp packing 60 watts be better? And so on...

Hi Feltran, you seem (as others have pointed out) to have missed what power is all about! Speakers do not have a set impedance just an average usually 4ohm \ 6ohm \ 8ohm. The amount of current (how hard they are to drive) is very dependent on how low the ohms dip to on that speaker. 1 ohm would be considered a very heavy load. The amps ability to cope with this is down to wether is can double it's output at each ohm rating e.g. 30 watts at 8ohms 60 watts at 4 ohms, 120 watts at 2 ohms etc. This is a prime example of why a Krell KSA50 (50 watts rms) can drive Apogee speakers, it doubles it's watts all the way down. Most amps can't do this and hence the amp looses grip on the speaker usually this turns into loose bass.

The ML's from what I know drop low and therefore need a powerful amp. Most Pass Labs amps are powerful and can drive speakers well, not sure on this one.

Tim

the xa is my dream amp. too bad i'll never be able to afford them.

Taking heed on some of the recommendations I received from you all, I auditioned the X250.5 and it is a nice peice of gear. It definitley is a lil space heater but the music came alive. I was concerned that the tube pre (ARC LS17) with the PASS was not going to be a good mix but it was a great match. With my size room though, I am leaning towards the smaller products ie XA30.5 or the XA60.5 mono's. I don't think i ever came out of the Class A portion of the amp, so would make sense to stay pure class A. Now I need a find a good paying lab to sell blood :D

Taking heed on some of the recommendations I received from you all, I auditioned the X250.5 and it is a nice peice of gear. It definitley is a lil space heater but the music came alive. I was concerned that the tube pre (ARC LS17) with the PASS was not going to be a good mix but it was a great match. With my size room though, I am leaning towards the smaller products ie XA30.5 or the XA60.5 mono's. I don't think i ever came out of the Class A portion of the amp, so would make sense to stay pure class A. Now I need a find a good paying lab to sell blood :D

This just in! I have a set of XA-100.5 monoblocks now driving my CLXs. They run no warmer than my venerable X-350.5 and image like crazy with simply beautiful sound and plenty of dynamics. The XA series is the most musical amplifier series that Pass has ever made. I think you need to compare the 30.5 vs the 60.5 to see if there is an audible difference at the volume you normally like. You might be surprised how well the smaller amp acquits itself. The only real caution regarding the smaller amp is if you change listening rooms or get less efficient speakers.

This just in! I have a set of XA-100.5 monoblocks now driving my CLXs. They run no warmer than my venerable X-350.5 and image like crazy with simply beautiful sound and plenty of dynamics. The XA series is the most musical amplifier series that Pass has ever made. I think you need to compare the 30.5 vs the 60.5 to see if there is an audible difference at the volume you normally like. You might be surprised how well the smaller amp acquits itself. The only real caution regarding the smaller amp is if you change listening rooms or get less efficient speakers.

Babydoc, what kind of speaker can be regarded as less efficient? I do not forsee being allotted a larger listening room by the better half so that should not be an issue but as my Arius i's are 17 years old, i can see new speakers in the future. Thanks for all your advise.

Latest posts

Back