CLS II trouble...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gieffe

Reaction score
Hello my friends, pardon if I don't write well, I'm not english, just posted this little 3d to have some help from your experience.
Listening my gear, at sustained volume, during a very low frequency music frame reproduction, I just noted some smoke come out from the little hole on the backside, at the top of the left CLS's xover.
Some said that 4ohm resistor was a little overwarmed (but non damages are verified), and suggested to exchange the left xover by the right one and test again, for to know if panel left is been damaged.
Thanks in advance for your kindly response.

if you have smoke coming out of your electronics, turn them off. unplug them, and get a technician to look at them.

unless you are qualified do not swap the internal parts from one electronics box to the other.

that said. to test the panels, try each panel with the electronics box that did not smoke and listen to the panel. if both panels sound good with the good electronics box then the panel should be fine.

good luck getting the CLS fixed.

Smoke means burnt up resistors or power transformer. Either way you better call ML

Smoke means burnt up resistors or power transformer. Either way you better call ML
Agreed here...it is the first time that I now that you could blow the resistors at the tone shape stage printed circuit board . Those big resistors really take a lot of power. The CLSII are not too good for low frequency sound pressure level. You should have a sub for this purpose. As far as I know, you can not burn the panel...but the electronics, yes , you can.
Roberto.

Thanks very much indeed.
Panel is slightly rip, probably relaxed, but for me is inexplicable how there is smoke in a resistor (slim, cylindric and black, that stay near to two yellows resistors), in crossover section inside the CLS's box (not in power section of it).
My doubt is if the relaxed panel film had damaged the resistor or viceversa.
I tried to change the damaged xover substituing it by the right other one and mounted in the ripped panel but it don't appear any kind of smoke in the same situation.

Last edited:
Thanks very much indeed.
Panel is slightly rip, probably relaxed, but for me is inexplicable how there is smoke in a resistor (slim, cylindric and black, that stay near to two yellows resistors), in crossover section inside the CLS's box (not in power section of it).
My doubt is if the relaxed panel film had damaged the resistor or viceversa.
I tried to change the damaged xover substituing it by the right other one and mounted in the ripped panel but it don't appear any kind of smoke in the same situation.

Hola Gieffe, do not worry about the panel, you can not burn it, but yes you can burn the electronics. The CLSIIz is a wonderful speaker. Still on these days, one of the best around. The right size of the instruments, the coherence between low frequency and the lower mid-range and up is breathtaking, also how easy is to understand the stage. My room is very small, but I have them there with no problem. Also, I have a sub, but not connected through any crossover, I do play full range my CLSs and use just a little volume at the sub, just enough to have the very low bottom sound aid, that they lack. If I crank it up with more bass energy, I lost the position of the bass player at my stage...and I do not like that. Also too much bass energy makes my mid-range fuzzy. I wish a very happy listening,
Roberto.

I had the same thing happen to me with a pair of electrostatic headsets. I kept turning the sound up and it didn't seem to be getting louder. I then smelled the smoke. You really had them cranked up, didn't you?

You really need to get the electronics checked.

Certainly one panel have the film relaxed at its top right side. Technician says that's he reason for a resistor's ovewarming phenomenon but without electronics damaging.

Last edited:
btw, on monday I will try to reproduce all conditions (but with crossover open boxes) that causes the smoke, so I will see frome where it come.
Did you have experience of discharged resistors by aging of speakers?

Back