Monolith I -- Removing the Panels

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

les_garten

Reaction score
Hello,
I have original Monoliths. I want to try and shower the panels. I have decresed output out of one. I talked with Jim at ML a few times. He says the side panels come off by laying them on their sides and using a piece of wood the side panels tap[ off with some tapping from the bottom.

Well, i've tapped the hell out of them with a deadblow hammer and they don't bydge. I'm not saying he's wrong, I'm just looking for a second opinion from someone who may have done it before. I know they're pretty rare here but thought I wold give it a try.

Thanx!
Les

You do have to take the side panels of like that.They are attached very tightly.Try pushing down on the sides while you tap them with the mallet.The inward pressure works on mine.Good luck with the shower.

You do have to take the side panels of like that.They are attached very tightly.Try pushing down on the sides while you tap them with the mallet.The inward pressure works on mine.Good luck with the shower.

I'll give that a try. Jim mentioned Glue as a possibility also.

whoa!

Are you sure?

The Monolith III decorative wood sides are non-removable.

On those Monoliths, there are some retaining elements on the back that come off to remove the panel.

whoa!

Are you sure?

The Monolith III decorative wood sides are non-removable.

On those Monoliths, there are some retaining elements on the back that come off to remove the panel.

I asked Jim in the past if there was a possibility of glue on the Originals and he said it was possible. When I get around to trying again, I'll try your Horchem's push down method while I hammer the hell out of them.

I have the Monolith II's and the side trim pieces have small metal rods that slide into grooves.One of my came off by accident when I was moving them into my house.I have no idea why they would have glued them.Mine are an extremely tight fit with the way they are.To get them back on,I have to push in hard on the sides to be able to push them down into the grooves.If anybody would know,it is Jim Powers.He has told me that he used to assemble the Monolith's when they were produced.Good Luck.

I have the Monolith II's and the side trim pieces have small metal rods that slide into grooves.One of my came off by accident when I was moving them into my house.I have no idea why they would have glued them.Mine are an extremely tight fit with the way they are.To get them back on,I have to push in hard on the sides to be able to push them down into the grooves.If anybody would know,it is Jim Powers.He has told me that he used to assemble the Monolith's when they were produced.Good Luck.

Maybe that was my issue then. I never pushed them down, I just hammered on them from the bottom. In the conversations with Jim, he never mentioned pushing down. And never having them apart, I have no idea what's used for fastening.

No --No--No. Do not try to remove the side panels. Over time the wood swells. You will split the wood if you try to remove them. You can remove the stat panels very simply by lying the speaker on the ground. There is a wooden cross brace on top of the panel ( 4 screws ). Remove it and the panel will slide out of the top of the speaker frame just like a printed circuit board. Don't forget to disconnect the wiring harness at the base of the panel.

I have done this a dozen times and it works perfectly.

No --No--No. Do not try to remove the side panels. Over time the wood swells. You will split the wood if you try to remove them. You can remove the stat panels very simply by lying the speaker on the ground. There is a wooden cross brace on top of the panel ( 4 screws ). Remove it and the panel will slide out of the top of the speaker frame just like a printed circuit board. Don't forget to disconnect the wiring harness at the base of the panel.

I have done this a dozen times and it works perfectly.

Hi,
There is a wood cross piece. I believe I tried that before and they wouldn't budge the first time I tried. Are you certain about this being the way to remove the panels from the Orig. Monoliths? I hope so? I also need to get the Woofer surrounds redone as well.

Les

My original Original Monoliths have the slide clips. You remove screws that go through the sides first to unlock the assembly. Then simply grab the side rails and pull them up about 3/4's to one inch to unlock and disengage them. Mine have no cross brace up at the top...it's just the panel and the fabic covering up there. My sides aren't all that tight and I can just pull them up by hand.

I can see the side rails being tight enough to need to lay them over and tap them up and off. I'd be nervous about them not breaking loose with what you've already described. And they certainly did change some things as things over time. If they are slid down from the top in a groove, then you'd have nothing wrong with laying them down, making sure you don't have any pinching pressure and trying to slide them out. You wouldn't have much to grab ahold of and pull on without pinching the panel hard. But if it's the side rail locking slides, the most you'd get would be that short inch or so up and then it'd still held in place until the sides come off.

Good luck!

OldMonolith

My original Original Monoliths have the slide clips. You remove screws that go through the sides first to unlock the assembly. Then simply grab the side rails and pull them up about 3/4's to one inch to unlock and disengage them. Mine have no cross brace up at the top...it's just the panel and the fabic covering up there. My sides aren't all that tight and I can just pull them up by hand.

I can see the side rails being tight enough to need to lay them over and tap them up and off. I'd be nervous about them not breaking loose with what you've already described. And they certainly did change some things as things over time. If they are slid down from the top in a groove, then you'd have nothing wrong with laying them down, making sure you don't have any pinching pressure and trying to slide them out. You wouldn't have much to grab ahold of and pull on without pinching the panel hard. But if it's the side rail locking slides, the most you'd get would be that short inch or so up and then it'd still held in place until the sides come off.

Good luck!

OldMonolith

Now more confused than before :confused:

I didn't know there was a Model before mine.

But I'm getting more info for my next discusion with Jim Powers as far as background goes.

Thanx for the input?

Back