Cinema/Descent i or Stage/Depth

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jungle Jack

Reaction score
Hello,
For some time, my neighbor has been offering me cash and his Cinema Center Channel Speaker for my Stage. He his system consists of dual pairs(Main/Surround) of Vista's, and aforementioned Cinema, and a Descent i.

Yesterday, he offered me his Descent i and Cinema for my Stage and Depth (non i). I must say, I am kinda tempted. While I love my Depth, the Descent i is in another league entirely.

Any thoughts as to which you would rather have would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
ML

This is only a partial answer here, but I think the Cinema, which I have owned for several years as well by the way, is still the best Martin Logan, no compromise center channel bar none and I will take that over any of their newer centers any day!

you must be joking be careful that stage is awesome do not trade it up.

Hello,
Thanks for the replies. I love the Stage and have been hesitant to trade my neighbor. The more I work on placement/tuning with the Depth, the more I am blown away by it. I still cannot believe a enclosure this small can produce so much quality sound.

The Descent i with its triamp configuration is special though. The difference between the Depth and Depth i does not seem to be nearly as transformative as the Descent and Descent i.
Cheers,
ML

I think you will hear a more significant difference in switching the center rather than switching the sub. You may need a descent if you have a very large room. Other than that, do you really need a larger sub, especially if you are happy with the one you have, if the sound quality of the center is sacrificed?

Tom,
My room is what I would call midsized. With the Depth, I certainly do not feel as though there is a lack of bass. I actually sold my friend the Cinema when I was able to get the Stage when Sound Advice was going out of business. While the Stage is certainly better, the Cinema was quite good and strangely almost the same dimensions. The Xstat panel and tweeter location do make for a much better speaker.
Cheers,
ML

Don't take the deal. Wait until your budget allows you to buy the Descent by itself. If you like what you are getting from the Depth now, the Cinema/Descent would be an overall downgrade from the Stage/Depth, IMO. You will miss the Stage.

I would like to thank everyone for their replies. It was an interesting proposal that I certainly was left to ponder. As it stands, I am going to stand pat.

I just got my Depth 2 weeks ago when my neighbor floated the proposal. Upon receiving it, I was shocked at how diminutive it is. In addition, it was new in box and not broken in. I purchased it from a former employee at Sound Advice who never got around to hooking it up. As the Depth has broken in and has been better integrated with the rest of my system, the results have been amazing. I still cannot believe that such a small enclosure can produce such deep, accurate sound.
Cheers,
ML

I would like to thank everyone for their replies. It was an interesting proposal that I certainly was left to ponder. As it stands, I am going to stand patML

Good for you! From your posts i get the feeling that you really didn't want to trade, but i understand the temptation

I just got my Depth 2 weeks ago when my neighbor floated the proposal. Upon receiving it, I was shocked at how diminutive it is. In addition, it was new in box and not broken in. I purchased it from a former employee at Sound Advice who never got around to hooking it up. As the Depth has broken in and has been better integrated with the rest of my system, the results have been amazing. I still cannot believe that such a small enclosure can produce such deep, accurate sound.
Cheers,
ML

I am especially glad to hear this as i am anxiously waiting delivery of a depth. If the stage sounds better than the cinema, i think that the stage/depth combo is likely better than the cinema/descent.

Of course i have no first hand experience and others (we hear you gordon) may have a different opinion. Thus is the nature of listening. Either way, i think we are all fortunate to have such equipment:music:.

Indeed Tom. We are truly fortunate to have such wonderful equipment. I found my friends offer thought provoking and worth due consideration. Thanks again to all who proffered advice. Truly appreciated.

I just received new Panels for my Vantages and am pondering when to muster the courage to tackle the project. Amey's stellar post about repaneling his Vista's has given me a tiny amount of faith I can complete this task without averse effect.
Cheers,
ML

Back