System #325 (Summit)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
why ML did not set the default panel angle closer to vertical from the getgo?
Although this has been widely discussed in other threads, and Gordon is surely a fine connoisseur of the topic, I can presume that because ML is engaged in continuous willingness to improve, they have added the possibility to tilt at higher angle with the Summit-X. Who knows, the engineers of ML are maybe reading the threads and owner's discoveries of this forum? ;) In the manual of the Summit-X, you can find the following: (...)"In some instances, if you are sitting close to the floor, slight forward tilting of the speakers can enhance clarity and precision"(...). That is a new entry compared to the original Summit's manual.

Last edited:
...My question is - I'm wondering, ..., why ML did not set the default panel angle closer to vertical from the getgo? Seems like the Summits are even angled further back than my SL3s were.

Hey Steve, I'm not a soothsayer and I don't play one on TV, but maybe ML came up with that angle due to sound testing at their facility and decided that angle sounded best to them for a wide range of physical room setups. Perhaps, because of the Summit's prodigious output, they figured potential buyers would place them in larger rooms than their smaller products, hence the lean angle. Maybe they decided on that rake angle so that people standing would not get the drastic sound difference that I got with my Aerius, from sitting to standing. Who knows? We do know, that one panel angle cannot be the perfect angle for all environments, as ear height to mid-panel can vary and room interactions are different, so it only makes sense to adapt the angle to your specific requirements. I assume ML chose that angle as their best compromise setting. By the way, your system sounds fantastic. See you on the 11th.:rocker:

Maybe they decided on that rake angle so that people standing would not get the drastic sound difference that I got with my Aerius, from sitting to standing.

That would be my guess - their way of dealing with the limited vertical dispersion.

Hi all,

Regarding the rake angle, I agree with others who have said it was a ML decision to help improve the listening experience for those who are not sitting down. Having said that, adjustable spikes are now standard on the Summits to allow one to bring rake angle to perpendicular.

I would urge all to try a "more vertical" alignment. In my room, it seemed to improve the speed, transparency, dimensionality, and focus of the Summit.

Thanks again to all who have viewed this thread.

Gordon

Thanks Gordon and Steve and agree. I do find it interesting how the Summits are by default raked back further than my SL3s and I guess it is all a compromise as to what sounds best for the most applications. And that's why they have adjustable spikes! :) I guess with the Summit X you can have the best of all worlds, so to speak with a larger range of rake angle.

I have experimented and have found that 2.8 degrees is my sweet spot (that is - 2.8 degrees raked back not toward the listener) which made a significant benefit in imaging and high end clarity. Looking forward to the next one Steve!

Hi sb,

I was about 2 degrees back and found similar benefits that you describe.

GG

Gordon, I haven't seen your system pics which include the mbl's. Did you post them in another thread?
Gordon has not yet posted it. I believe that Rich (who specializes in portraits, though) is supposed to visit him to take pictures.

Gordon has not yet posted it. I believe that Rich (who specializes in portraits, though) is supposed to visit him to take pictures.

Actually, I just visited him last month. Unfortunately, I didn't think to bring my camera.

Actually, I just visited him last month. Unfortunately, I didn't think to bring my camera.
Well then, you're just going to have to do the next best thing - a review of his system, since you heard his Summits, and you (supposedly) have Summits too. Or is your memory not that good?

Gordon,

I was looking at page 1 of this thread, and have a question about your stand: what's the purpose of having two platforms between each two components?

i would love to know your opinion on the mbl's i could never afford. what does that tweet sound like.

New, updated photos. Finally. Only took five years.

1) Gordon Gray

2) Jackson, WY

3) MBL 116's

4) Date purchased / February 2011

5) None.

6) Pass Labs X250.5 amp, Conrad Johnson ET5 preamp with EAT tube, Cary Audio 306 SACD CDP modified by Ron Hendrick, Magnum Dynalab MD606 XM tuner, Shunyata Research interconnects, DH Labs speaker wire, Shunyata Research, DH Labs and Cardas powercords, Shunyata Research PS8 power strip with Defender, Cardas RCA caps, Michael Green "clamp" rack, and Mapleshade "Tri Point" Brass cones under all electronics.

7) Have owned electrostatics for last 25 years or so. Acoustat 1 + 1's, ML CLS2A's, Aerius, SL3's, and Summits. Have always been intrigued by the MBL technology and decided to give it a try. Time for a change.

NEW SYSTEM PICTURES 7/29/16

Thanks for the update pictures Gordon. I look every so often to see if there were any pictures of your speakers.

Your Grand Nephew is very cute and obviously smart. He's positioned himself in the sweet spot. I'm sure he and others had a wonderful time in Yellowstone.

I look at pictures family members post on their choice of sites and think " who is that old guy that looks like my father".

I'm way to active to look like that. They must have the aspect ratio set wrong on their phone.

We are planing to get back to Yellowstone and the Tetons in the next couple of years. I would love to hear a pair of MBL's if it was to work out.

Regards

Brad,

Should be here next summer (2017) and probably gone by the end of the year. Retiring.

Would love to play host if you and family come visit.

Gordon

Ruidoso, NM ?

Lots of sun, mountains, smallish town, comfortable temps, low humidity, property values, lowish state income tax, etc. Only downside is the drive to a fully functional airport.

Been here in Jackson for some 35 years now and in the State of WYO for 42 years and given what has happened to Jackson, WY (too much money and the social impacts, attitudes, etc. that comes with it and I can't afford to live here once I retire), I'm ready for a move.

We shall see my friends.

Gordon

Back